ChewyBrigantine

New Jersey trigger fish tactics

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I was fluking last weekend and the cute girl snorkeling around the jetty said she saw two. 

She was all excited, went and got her boyfriend that had a a spear and they went after them.

They'll eat pretty much any bait, especially if you find them schooled up.  If you want to save some money theyll eat broken peices of gulp chunks on a small hook.  Just keep the bodies when tails get ripped off, cut em up and put em on like a size 1-1/0 hook with a small weight.  Wait till you feel pressure of the fish, dont jsut set the hook on the taps, they take small bites.

I've done a considerable amount of spearfishing over the years and typically when you find one you find more. Might take some moving around and changing spots, and when you get one you can usually pick off a few others in the school they aren't the spookiest fish that's for sure.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, ChewyBrigantine said:

Hitting a rocky area by me where a friend dives frequently and says he saw a lot of them.. 

Good luck. They are delicious and fun to catch

Small hooks are definitely the key. I have had good success with double hook spot rig. For bait do yourself a favor and use 1/2 inch pieces of Fishbites. They are an arificial bait that looks like a bloodworm but they stay on the hook very well. You can catch multiple fish on one piece. You need to weed through the small seabass and bergalls. I have done very well at the tips of rock piles catching them. I have also caught some nice keeper size weakfish and fluke while targeting the triggers. I never took one home to eat but i think I need to give it a try.

Trust me...Fishbites.

Amen to the fishbites and salted clams. I target them on a lightly weighted hi-lo rig, and use size 4 or size 2 Gami baitholders. They're strong and sharp as can be. Any rocky structure can hold them, you just need to look. 

Gonna also vote for fishbites, and spot/kingfish rigs work just fine.  It's really easy fishing, just find a boulder field and your in business, at least in south jersey.  Get them consistently every year late June through mid to early September.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, PhillyHillBilly said:

Caught them on clam or bits of crab - small hooks are the ticket.  Haven't found (or heard of) any out front or in the back yet this season.  Good luck

We see them a lot on the reef sites off S.Jersey until Sept. or so.

Tried for them today for about two hours. Couple small tog. Then a ton of birds came out of no where and starting nose diving. Only thing i had was a 3/8 bucktail casting into a 15-20 mph wind... definitely think they were Spanish but didn't catch anything. 

I worked in aquariums for years and trigger fish are a big part of the industry. They have powerful jaws with pinching teeth on a beak like mouth. The mouth is designed to rip apart crustaceans and mollusk shells. Try your luck with crabs, prawn, clams, and mussels

First time trying this year. Morning was slow just a couple. Afternoon was lights out. Swarming behind the boat. All on squid. Took our sinkers off and just flipped our weightless rigs out and dozens would come up and nip at the baits. You just had to look down and watch when a fish ate the bait then set the hook. Most of the time you never felt the hit. Left them biting. Fun day.

IMG_4370 (2).JPG