ChewyBrigantine

New Jersey trigger fish tactics

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Gonna target them this week. Was wondering if those who have been successful what do you use for bait and hook size. I was thinking go with a tog set up/ using sand fleas for bait? 

Anyone wana chime in with some advice that's be great I heard this little guys are great eating. 

They are good eating ,hook size 2,4 or 6 will work with a small piece of clam. I'm sure other baits will work it's just what I've caught them on.

5 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

They are good eating ,hook size 2,4 or 6 will work with a small piece of clam. I'm sure other baits will work it's just what I've caught them on.

Ok thanks for the advice.. I'll try clam 

Caught them on clam or bits of crab - small hooks are the ticket.  Haven't found (or heard of) any out front or in the back yet this season.  Good luck

6 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Gonna target them this week. Was wondering if those who have been successful what do you use for bait and hook size. I was thinking go with a tog set up/ using sand fleas for bait? 

Anyone wana chime in with some advice that's be great I heard this little guys are great eating. 

i use strong 1/0 hooks as they have smaller mouths.  Sand fleas work but i prefer salted calm as it stays on the hook better. i was having problems getting a good hookset using fleas for triggers.   They are very dumb creatures and will eat mostly any bait, just need to find the school of them.

9 mins ago, odiemike86 said:

i use strong 1/0 hooks as they have smaller mouths.  Sand fleas work but i prefer salted calm as it stays on the hook better. i was having problems getting a good hookset using fleas for triggers.   They are very dumb creatures and will eat mostly any bait, just need to find the school of them.

yea looking at pictures its almost like they have tiny beaks gonna use 1/0 bait holders with some clam

small hooks, even smaller pieces of crab. they are a pain in the balls to hook. almost makes golf seem like a good time. 

How do you plan on, targeting, them? Every trigger I’ve ever caught I was fluke fishing and considered it a bonus

5 mins ago, Markushook said:

How do you plan on, targeting, them? Every trigger I’ve ever caught I was fluke fishing and considered it a bonus

Hitting a rocky area by me where a friend dives frequently and says he saw a lot of them.. 

5 hours ago, PhillyHillBilly said:

Caught them on clam or bits of crab - small hooks are the ticket.  Haven't found (or heard of) any out front or in the back yet this season.  Good luck

Oh, they are around. Not that I have caught any.:mad:

7 mins ago, Markushook said:

Yup, I targeted them 2 years ago and got zippo. Got 2 last year while flunking.:shrug:

2 mins ago, JMB said:

Oh, they are around. Not that I have caught any.:mad:

Yup, I targeted them 2 years ago and got zippo. Got 2 last year while flunking.:shrug:

Well I'll have to update you guys if I'm successful or not. This is my first time ( targeting) specifically. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was getting them the other day on local jetty. I basically drop shot em! Small hook in front of small jig with fish bites! When reeling back to jetty stop close to rocks, let jig stay on bottom and just jig teaser!! Btw caught over 20  short fluke all on the teaser! Great fun and eating ! If you really want to target them chum with clam!! Another is hi lo rig with no weight, just barely sinks good when they are up top spitting water and you can see em! They bite kingie hooks in half!!

7B0F5F5C-40ED-466B-A9B9-AC2C128A1A98.jpeg

Edited by libertyminded