707steelnstripe

HOW WILL THE STRIPAPOCALYPSE BE REGULATED THIS TIME???!

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

What will happen at ASMFC's August meeting.

My guess is that the Management Board will approve an addendum that will address the current overfishing by reducing fishing mortality by 17%, which will have a 50-50 shot--a coin-flip chance--of reducing fishing mortality to the target of F=0.180.  The addendum will include options such as a 35" coastal minimum/2" increase in Chesapeake Bay, a slot with a 40-inch top end, and seasons.  Circle hooks for use with bait will be considered.

The current management plan states that if the stock becomes overfished--and the stock assessment tells us that it is overfished today--the Management Board "must" rebuild spawning stock biomass to target within 10 years.  I predict that the Management Board will completely ignore that clear language, and say that if fishing mortality is reduced to target, then the stock should rebuild to the target biomass--but they will refuse to predice the time that it will take for such rebuilding occurs.

The biggest issue out there, though, is the one that no one is paying much attention to.  There is a motion, postponed from the May meeting, to initiate a new amendment to the management plan once the addendum process is completed.  ASMFC's Fishery Management Plan Coordinator for striped bass has already informed the Management Board that the only reason to initiate an amendment is to change the goals and objectives of the plan; anything else could be done in the addendum.

The current goals and objectives call for a spawning stock structure that contains enough older, larger females to assure the long-term health of the stock.  It calls for management for the long term, and for increasing the number of Age 15+ females in the stock compared to the abundance of such fish in 2000.  Those goals and objectives require a fairly low harvest and high biomass.  

The folks pushing for the new amendment, who seem to be mostly from Maryland, New Jersey and Delaware, want to change the reference points, to permanently allow for a smaller spawning stock biomass and higher fishing mortality rate.  They want a higher annual harvest.  They probably can't get there under the current goals and objectives.

Thus, if we want to protect the long-term health of the striped bass stock, we need to advocate against the postponed motion, because if it passes, and the folks pushing for a new amendment gets what they want, the striped bass will lose not just for the next 5 years until the next stock assessment, but for the foreseeable future.  For the first time since 2003, a replay of the late 1970s and the early 1980s becomes, if not a likelihood, at least a possibility.

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The study that the 9% release mortality was based on took place in MA not MD. Other studies that focused more on the Chesapeake Bay put the mortality number much higher than the 9% from the Diodati study.

Maryland, in making its circle hook proposal a few years ago, admitted that release mortality during the summer can be well over 25%.  But as far as I know, the assessment didn't use that number.

4 mins ago, CWitek said:

Maryland, in making its circle hook proposal a few years ago, admitted that release mortality during the summer can be well over 25%.  But as far as I know, the assessment didn't use that number.

You are correct the assessment used the 9% number from the Diodati study. 

21 hours ago, Drew C. said:

So it’s always the commercials?

the problem with bass is due to the red harvest and participation in the fishery. Rec anglers are responsible for the majority of the catch and mortality happening. 

Release mortality is also significant. It’s the number is based on a good study. Look it up, read it. The numbers given today are quite reasonable given the number of people pursuing bass. Also, significant mortality is from the rec bay fishery in MD. It’s a summer time fishery with bait. Hi temps, lots of gut hooked fish and there ya go. 

2019 Maryland commercial stripe Bass regs 18 in to 36 in fish  Pound nets 6 month season - commercial hook and line 6 month season - haul seine 6 month season - and my personal favorite way to rape a fishery Drift Gill nets 3 month season and a maximum length of 3500 yds of net. 1 day that gill net will kill more fish than I will catch in my life time. I might be right no

I believe it all comes down to enforcement, because most of the “poaching” I’ve seen is during night time fishing (chunking bait). Circle hooks are nice but I believe there should also be a certain size like 6/0 to 10/0 and crushed barbs on everything. My two cents.

1 hour ago, chris koltz said:

2019 Maryland commercial stripe Bass regs 18 in to 36 in fish  Pound nets 6 month season - commercial hook and line 6 month season - haul seine 6 month season - and my personal favorite way to rape a fishery Drift Gill nets 3 month season and a maximum length of 3500 yds of net. 1 day that gill net will kill more fish than I will catch in my life time. I might be right no

sounds like a great conservation plan---we should be back catchin in no time:rav:

15 hours ago, giggyfish said:

So @CWitek what can we do to try to stop that amendment from passing in the August meeting? 

All of our ASMFC commissioners can be found here:  http://www.asmfc.org/about-us/commissioners

They need to hear from everyone concerned about the fishery.  Personal meetings with club reps or groups of anglers, phone calls, letters, emails.  The more the better.

I've got two personal meetings with my reps already scheduled.  I've got an op-ed going into a newspaper.  I'm helping other organizations write comments.

We all need to do the same.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, 707steelnstripe said:

IN THE 80'S WITH THE STRIPER DISAPPEARANCE THEY DID MORATORIUM. NOW IT IS NOT REALISTIC TO DO MORATORIUM BECAUSE CATCH AND RELEASE FISHING IS MAJOR PART OF PROBLEM. NEED TO STOP ALL FISHING FOR STRIPED BASS. 

HOW DO YOU FEEL THEY WILL DEAL WITH THE TEETERING STRIPER POPULATION ON EAST COAST? 

THIS IS AN ALERT FOR ANGLERS TO START THINKING ABOUT WHAT'S COMING. YOU TOOK TOO MANY GLAMOR SHOTS IN THE CAPE COD CANAL OF YOUR 40LBERS AND THEY DIED AFTER YOU RELEASED THEM. NOW WE ALL MUST PAY THE PIPER FOR YOUR INSTAGRAM HEROICS. 

THANKS!

What exactly do you wish people to do when they fish........Fish with lures that automatically drop their hooks when fighting a fish for more than 30 seconds?

For 100 bucks I'll sell ya some 40lb bass repellent....works 99% of the time or your money back.

Saying catch'n release is a major part of the problem infers to stop fishing completely.

YOU FIRST

(and fyi.....all caps....on the internets = doooooshy)

Edited by scoobydoo

12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

What exactly do you wish people to do when they fish........Fish with lures that automatically drop their hooks when fighting a fish for more than 30 seconds?

For 100 bucks I'll sell ya some 40lb bass repellent....works 99% of the time or your money back.

Saying catch'n release is a major part of the problem infers to stop fishing completely.

YOU FIRST

I see what you did there. Well played. :laugh:

On 7/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, 707steelnstripe said:

AMEN. Also the BIG MEN of INSTAGRAM too. The funny part is how stupid they look when they catch this huge fish--and they are filming themselves catching the fish just let that sink in--and they say "Wow, going to quickly take four minutes here to leave this fishi on the bank and get my pliers, my scale, my boga grip, my camera and go through all that and THEN IM GONNA PULL THE FISH OUT WITH THE BOGA TO WEIGH IT AND THEN TAKE PICTURES OF ME HOLDING IT TO GO WITH VIDEO I TOOK OF ME CATCHING IT WHICH i WILL POST ONLINE AND THEN ILL RELEASE IT TO "MAKE BABIES". 

Narcissism is the root cause of our striper decline, imho. 

I always wonder about people who complain about things such as this.

Whenever I hear this......I automatically think the person is specifically looking for fishing tips, spots, information........It doesn't just magically appear in front of them.  What were ya doing there in the first place.

And besides raging about it and working up your blood pressure................................................what exactly are you going to do about it.

It's the same thing as it was with tackle shop super heros with pics on the wall.....only they cut out the middle man.

and now there are apps you can share gps coords.............2025 you can hit a button and drone deliver a lure to the spot......................just watch.  You think it's gonna get better??? LMAO

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I always wonder about people who complain about things such as this.

Whenever I hear this......I automatically think the person is specifically looking for fishing tips, spots, information........It doesn't just magically appear in front of them.  What were ya doing there in the first place.

EXACTLY! Instagram is for the instant gratification of no-account anglers who aren't willing to find spots runs and tips the old-fashioned way: fishing and buying people beer. These no-accounts are legion. They are everywhere. But this is a different issue...see my Spying: ScumBaggery or All In The Game thread. It's a big problem! BUT NOT ON TOPIC HERE. 

And besides raging about it and working up your blood pressure................................................what exactly are you going to do about it.

I made this great thread about the consequences of it: the stripapocalypse and came up with the catchy term for the coming sea change in the population and fishing regulations. What did u do about it?

It's the same thing as it was with tackle shop super heros with pics on the wall.....only they cut out the middle man.

They killed the fish. Good for them. Legal. What I detest is basically killing the fish for a photo for a website and then releasing it. Bad practices, bad mojo, and bad karma. If you're catching a huge fish, you should focus on releaseing it, not getting your instagram instant gratification. 

I wouldn't have problem with it if population was good. Population is bad, very low. So problem... 

and now there are apps you can share gps coords.............2025 you can hit a button and drone deliver a lure to the spot......................just watch.  You think it's gonna get better??? LMAO

Ok now you're talking my language. Yes, it's a problem. All of it is a problem. You make great points. 

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

YOU FIRST

Catch and release *IS* a part of the problem. Shoot, I would consider starting to fishing hookless. Topwater fishing a hookless plug would still be fund. Grab is the thrill anyways. I never understood the joy experience by these Instagrammers who love having a dying stripah lying on a rock while they collect their boga, their camera, their measuring tape, their scale, and recording this on video to broadcast their stupidity to the world thinking it shows them as geniuses while actually showing the simple killing of a fish for man's vanity. Am I right?