HOW WILL THE STRIPAPOCALYPSE BE REGULATED THIS TIME???!

Rate this topic

707steelnstripe

Regulation changes typically deal with size of fish, numbers of fish, and or fishing methods. 

Regulations do not tend to focus on fisher person behavior, so I’m not exactly sure how to answer the question.     

(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')

I think the info that is being floated about catch and release and mortality is total manufactured BS.

I would bet you can track this BS back to the commercial fishing lobby and it's political lobby.

Read Striper wars if you want to see how diabolical some of these folks are and how easy it is make a study say what you want.

I have friends in the industry that are good people so please don't feel like I'm referring to all commercial fishermen but there lobby is a brutal cutthroat political operation.

As much as I hate to say it but I think it should be catch an release only. I know what your thinking rec will still have a huge mortality rate even if it is catch an release but what about the party boats that go out twice a day and slay breeder siZed fish. There have been some awesome guide services also that are doing keepers under a certain limit and releasing all the breeder size fish. If we could get the striper community on board with catch an release (maybe make it law) and have stiff penalties for law breakers it would help the fishery. Lots of people would fish for other species if they weren’t allowed to bring any meat home.

Maine Surfcasters Club 

3 hours ago, hydraman said:

I hope they shut it down. 

Wrt to conservation they should err on the side of temporarily shutting down or greatly restricting the season.   

If you make your living off of the resource, its a natural resource and you've dipped the net one too many times, so to speak.  I got downsize and outsourced too.  it blows, but no one has a right to more fish, and no one has a right to eating striper.  

All that said, I dont for half a second put faith in fish stock assessments done via survey.  I have never met anyone who has been surveyed, and statistically thats really really not likely.  

Complex issue.  Err on the side of less fish being taken.

39 mins ago, chris koltz said:

I think the info that is being floated about catch and release and mortality is total manufactured BS.

I would bet you can track this BS back to the commercial fishing lobby and it's political lobby.

Read Striper wars if you want to see how diabolical some of these folks are and how easy it is make a study say what you want.

I have friends in the industry that are good people so please don't feel like I'm referring to all commercial fishermen but there lobby is a brutal cutthroat political operation.

You are probably on the mark with this.  I have no data to support my opinion other than being a student of human nature.  

1 hour ago, chris koltz said:

If you saw the scores of dead shorts on the beach next to the Chesapeake bay bridge, where fishing pressure has been very heavy lately, you might be less inclined to poo-poo the c&r stats.

2 hours ago, chris koltz said:

So it’s always the commercials?

the problem with bass is due to the red harvest and participation in the fishery. Rec anglers are responsible for the majority of the catch and mortality happening. 

Release mortality is also significant. It’s the number is based on a good study. Look it up, read it. The numbers given today are quite reasonable given the number of people pursuing bass. Also, significant mortality is from the rec bay fishery in MD. It’s a summer time fishery with bait. Hi temps, lots of gut hooked fish and there ya go. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

3 hours ago, chris koltz said:

excellent point===tell a lie often enough and it becomes a false truth

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

the problem with bass is due to the red harvest and participation in the fishery. Rec anglers are responsible for the majority of the catch and mortality happening. 

Release mortality is also significant. It’s the number is based on a good study. Look it up, read it. The numbers given today are quite reasonable given the number of people pursuing bass. Also, significant mortality is from the rec bay fishery in MD. It’s a summer time fishery with bait. Hi temps, lots of gut hooked fish and there ya go. 

Maryland is one of the largest commercial fishing mafias on the east coast. One commercial day spent by 1 boat will kill more fish than I will kill in my life. I've been in money boats in 3 different states the bye catch is staggering.Why do birds follow these boats = to eat all the shorts and bye catch that die. The area you mentioned are they allowed to net in the general area? I might be wrong just my opinion. I can't afford to buy a study to support my opinion.

In my area of south jersey the overfishing is solved. Since about 2012 there have been so few stripers caught on the beach that only a few diehards even fish for them anymore. 10+ years ago during spring season fishermen would be lined up and down the beach all day. Last few years during peak spring season I’d often be the only guy fishing within sight morning, afternoon, or evening.  Good news is that this year was my best since pre-sandy though still poor - averaged 1-2 shorts per outing. Had 2 legal sized fish.  I had a couple recent spring seasons where I didn’t see a striper throughout the spring season. 

From the beach there is no over-fishing in south jersey because fishing pressure is severely reduced from what it was.  During late fall migration boaters do a number on the breeders for a couple weeks offshore and there isn’t much C&R from what I hear.  IMO a one fish slot like 28-34” would be a fair start.  

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

CCC and Block madness has not benefited any egg layers

(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')