r111

Torqeedo @ ICast, new 1.5HP trolling motor

7 posts in this topic

All the Torqeedo stuff is cool, but it's way too high of a price point and I hear constant horror stories of failures, poor customer service and inability to have the product reasonably repaired.

I wanted some sort of power on my Tandem Island for added safety if I go off shore.  I considered some Torqeedo products but I coulnd't justify the cost.  I got a 2.5hp Suzuki outboard for $800.  I could dump 3 of them in the ocean and still be ahead.

She is a direct drive (no more tiny planetary gear box) ==  dead quiet.

Heavier than 403.

2020 availability. 

1100 Watts! I was wondering when someone would come out with a new one. A lot of newer low Lv motors coming out for the crazy electric skateboards and bikes. Curious if they keep battery pack the same.. bet you can drain a battery quick on high

Posted (edited) · Report post

She will get any yak to a hull speed (7-ish MPH for longer hull models). Wont get any (?) outta hole.

Em germans might give it a feature called "max speed" - where it would get yak to exactly the hull speed and no further, as pushing it harder past that point is plain waste of power. Controller knows the speed and amt of juice flowin into the motor.

They claim it is MORE efficient than 403. Was that planetary gear that lossy ? Or may be cause they had to spin the former RC motor so fast, to get the torque at right RPMs ?

Anyways, albies called ... they are petrified

Edited by r111

yeah I saw Justin from Kayak DIY demo that thing. Looks great and love the speed but not worth the price at all. I would rather buy a small jon boat with a trolling motor (used) for other fresh water fishing opportunities than spend another $3k on my kayak.