Wildcard777

Tube tails for metal--- WHY???

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

As the tube spins freely water also flows thru causing bubbles or water displacement. You don’t need much action I use tubes on bucktails or even plain jigs for years. Sometimes adding pork or used even plain. That said don’t use many tube style metals that much but they have a place.  

Tubes with the proper hooks like above in this thread have incredible action on metal lures. The hopkins no equal is a very good example of this. I prefer to buy my hooks, swivels and tubes and cut my own. I like them long and a 3/0-5/0 sized limerick hook is ideal imo. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

Because there's no other use for a limerick hook. Its also cheap and a solid alternative for those who don't have a tying vise.

The Mustad Limerick is a great Sluggo hook with the following modifications. First close up open eye with pliers then use two pair of pliers to straighten out the bend in the hook. This makes it a super long shank hook that fits nicely into a long 7 or 9” Sluggo. I believe the 7/0 size is perfect for the 9”. A smaller 5/0 for the 7”. Just wrap some Dacron  line along the shank and coat with super glue before placing it into Sluggo. Be sure to measure out the hook to the bait before putting into bait. Hook point should come out rounded bottom of the Sluggo. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Hook point should come out rounded bottom of the Sluggo. 

Why is it important that the hook come out of the rounded bottom of the Sluggo as opposed to the flat top  ? 

9 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Why is it important that the hook come out of the rounded bottom of the Sluggo as opposed to the flat top  ? 

It's just an arbitrary decision . I just think it looks better this way? It's looks similar to a rigged eel.

5 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

It's just an arbitrary decision . I just think it looks better this way? It's looks similar to a rigged eel.

I was just wondering because I usually rig mine with the hook coming out of the flat top  ...      I wonder if it makes a difference.   

maybe it will give it a try your way ...

8 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

I was just wondering because I usually rig mine with the hook coming out of the flat top  ...      I wonder if it makes a difference.   

maybe it will give it a try your way ...

? I never used this style hook coming out the top of the Sluggo.

I am not using the Limerick hook.   Usually use a Sluggo on a weighted swimbait hook or leadhead jig.      Sometimes on a large unweighted worm hook ...  

Guess I rig with hook coming out of the top because I saw John Skinner do it that way on a weighted swimbait hook in his you tube video ...

I use the Hopkins No-eql with a tube:  great sand eel imitation and the tube keeps the tin riding higher than bucktail/feathers when Surfcasting sticky boulder field structure - this is critical.

2 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I am not using the Limerick hook.   Usually use a Sluggo on a weighted swimbait hook or leadhead jig.      Sometimes on a large unweighted worm hook ...  

Guess I rig with hook coming out of the top because I saw John Skinner do it that way on a weighted swimbait hook in his you tube video ...

That’s fine but the Mustad limerick hook size 7/0  , when straightened out, has a much longer shank than any other hook . The longer shank causes the hook point to exit the sluggo at about halfway in a 9” Sluggo. This is important because not all bass hit the head area of the lure. The longer shank of the limerick hook will catch more “short hitters” and result in more hook ups. 

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

That’s fine but the Mustad limerick hook size 7/0  , when straightened out, has a much longer shank than any other hook . The longer shank causes the hook point to exit the sluggo at about halfway in a 9” Sluggo. This is important because not all bass hit the head area of the lure. The longer shank of the limerick hook will catch more “short hitters” and result in more hook ups. 

Hmm.  That make a lot of sense, but instead of  going through the trouble to get Limerick hooks and straightening them, I would probably rather just start rigging a stinger hook like I do with rigged eels...

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Hmm.  That make a lot of sense, but instead of  going through the trouble to get Limerick hooks and straightening them, I would probably rather just start rigging a stinger hook like I do with rigged eels...

Yes sir, that’s what I did eventually. I didn’t miss many fish at all when I started rigging with second hook . See pic. I also weight sluggo with four Lunker city insert weights. It doesnt effect action and it casts much better

85597800-63D7-4D91-B9EE-0DCC5F9AE048.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

46 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yes sir, that’s what I did eventually. I didn’t miss many fish at all when I started rigging with second hook . See pic. I also weight sluggo with four Lunker city insert weights. It doesnt effect action and it casts much better

85597800-63D7-4D91-B9EE-0DCC5F9AE048.jpeg

I saw your you tube video for rigging the sluggo's.     great video, very informative   

Thanks  

Pulling big tubes on wire - monel - stainless was a popular technique for bass / big weakfish years ago . Very popular tactic in the N.Y. Bight , don’t remember too many folks utilizing south of there . It was practicly an art form , many variables , ie. colors , tube size , weights , certain bends in the tube to achieve certain actions. I was fortunate to fish with some older gents who passed on certain proven techniques. Bill J