Wildcard777

Tube tails for metal--- WHY???

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Kastmasters, Krocs you name it.

...will come available with a tube tail.

Tube tails are stiff and have no natural action whatsoever unlike bucktail or a curly tail.  Besides durability...why is it that some prefer tube tails (with their metals) when there are sooo many other options that have way better action????

You need to swim one and take a look at its' action before coming to that conclusion.

Kastmasters and Crocs specifically are spoons and have action to themselves as a lure. They don't need a tube tail but come with them pre-rigged (Kastmasters). When talking a diamond jig, the tube adds action, visibility, and longer profile to the lure. With a lure like a Kastmaster, it adds color and action. I fish lures both ways, but would always throw a tube w/jig first. If the fish are picky or the bait is of smaller profile, the tube goes away and an undressed hook goes on.

I usually take the tubes off and put my own dressed hooks on. I can customize my dressing however I want. They seem to cast a bit better too with a dressed hook as opposed to a tube.

45 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

You need to swim one and take a look at its' action before coming to that conclusion.

Ive fished tubes... the only action they have is imparted by lure.  No natural action whatsoever. Although  I can see people using tubes for profile and visibility but not action...  

45 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

48 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

27 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Kastmasters and Crocs specifically are spoons and have action to themselves as a lure. They don't need a tube tail but come with them pre-rigged (Kastmasters). When talking a diamond jig, the tube adds action, visibility, and longer profile to the lure. With a lure like a Kastmaster, it adds color and action. I fish lures both ways, but would always throw a tube w/jig first. If the fish are picky or the bait is of smaller profile, the tube goes away and an undressed hook goes on.

Absolutely right on both posts.  

3 mins ago, Wildcard777 said:

Ive fished tubes... the only action they have is imparted by lure.  No natural action whatsoever. Although  I can see people using tubes for profile and visibility but not action...  

You have fished tubes with Kastmasters and Hopkins and can't witness tube action??

6 mins ago, Ebbtide231 said:

Why tube tails?

Bluefish.

:D

Exactly..... they destroy a bucktail quick.  They even chew up the metal plating :D

E276DC97-FEC8-49E2-8927-CB2ABC402EA8.jpeg

6CD1C9E4-53B4-451F-B806-943D5BAF9684.jpeg

39 mins ago, Wildcard777 said:

The tube itself is on a curved hook, and the tube + hook move as well, in a side to side motion or spinning motion. If you've seen a striper tube, the 20" ones that guys troll for stripers, well the jig tube moves in a similar way. The tube moves in slack water and current. With more current there is more movement.

45 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

The tube itself is on a curved hook, and the tube + hook move as well, in a side to side motion or spinning motion. If you've seen a striper tube, the 20" ones that guys troll for stripers, well the jig tube moves in a similar way. The tube moves in slack water and current. With more current there is more movement.

This is the hook commonly used for that.  It is kirbed and offset to create action.

Mustad-31022-DT-Limerick-Hooks-023534224070_image2__90454.1516839573.jpg.48b8cd471e668f4df8fab862ce42427d.jpg

4 hours ago, Wildcard777 said:

Kastmasters, Krocs you name it.

...will come available with a tube tail.

Tube tails are stiff and have no natural action whatsoever unlike bucktail or a curly tail.  Besides durability...why is it that some prefer tube tails (with their metals) when there are sooo many other options that have way better action????

booooo.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Because there's no other use for a limerick hook. Its also cheap and a solid alternative for those who don't have a tying vise.

Edited by gorkmonster