codfish

Checked by EPO lobsterfishing/stripers

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday after fishing I was checked out on the water by the EPO's what he said was "your all set but watch out for the great whites" usually its August before the sharks move in, have you guys seen that many sharks??

12 hours ago, codfish said:

Yesterday after fishing I was checked out on the water by the EPO's what he said was "your all set but watch out for the great whites" usually its August before the sharks move in, have you guys seen that many sharks??

Yea, you need to be extra careful if you land a fish at the canal. I was walking there one morning and a guy was about to land a fish when there was something big that thrashed in the water no more than 2 ft from him and his line broke. I dont think anyone confirmed it was officially a GW, but Ive heard they are around from other people, and from the size of it theres a good chance it was

15 hours ago, yemista said:

Yea, you need to be extra careful if you land a fish at the canal. I was walking there one morning and a guy was about to land a fish when there was something big that thrashed in the water no more than 2 ft from him and his line broke. I dont think anyone confirmed it was officially a GW, but Ive heard they are around from other people, and from the size of it theres a good chance it was

More likely a brown shark, or possibly a blue, if it was a shark. I've seen what looked like an 8' blue slowly cruising about 10' from shore one night. Didn't faze it a bit when I put my light on it. 

Tuna are way more common in the Canal, and they also eat bass. ;) 

As do grey seals and we saw a group of at least 30 occupying the beach north of Ellisville Harbor.  They cover a lot of water when they're feeding. The troubling thing is the beaches from Ellisville to the Canal are not dissimilar to some of the outer Cape beaches.