Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wrangler508

Provincetown camping/fishing trip advice.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey y'all, me and the girlfriend are heading to Provincetown for a few days of camping and fishing next week. I've never visited there before and have some questions for those who have.

First and foremost is it worth getting a sticker to take the car out on the sand? If it's like anywhere else I've been I'm sure there's bird restrictions that make it almost not worth getting sticker this time of year.

Was also planning on doing a lot of night fishing. Was wondering if there's any parking/access I should be aware of that's accessible at night. 

I'm brining a couple of surf rods for me and the lady. Was also planning on bringing my fly rods. Any plugs or fly patterns that are specific for that area? Also is there's a local bait shop that you guys recommend? 

Any other info you guys think I should be aware of please let me know.

Thanks! 

You should have fun.  Use google earth 

OVS permit is worth it especially for night.  Beach is limited by birds usually but i think that changes from time to time.

Watch for seals they are all over which sucks.  If they get a hooked up bass open bail until they are done so at least you get your plug back

Right now there is. No or acess,if it does open up its worth the 50 for the week.get a night fishing permit at the visitors center,it's no charge let's you park at all federal lots from mid night till 6am town lots are good after 4 or 5.stop and see Paul at Blackberrys in Eastham he will give you the real info not yank your chain as will the bigger shop in Orleans wikl.make sure you stay away from any trucks with VT plates he is an a hole and doesn't like people have fun

4 hours ago, codfish said:

Go to the mass forum

I was originally going to post there but I figured that maybe people outside of mass that have experience down there might have some advice as well. Sorry, still trying to figure out intricacies and etiquette of this forum. Are you suggesting I post this again in the mass forum?

4 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

You should have fun.  Use google earth 

OVS permit is worth it especially for night.  Beach is limited by birds usually but i think that changes from time to time.

Watch for seals they are all over which sucks.  If they get a hooked up bass open bail until they are done so at least you get your plug back

Thank you for the advice. I've seen plenty of seals but luckily never had one take the fish I caught. Never even would have thought to do this so thanks again! 

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Right now there is. No or acess,if it does open up its worth the 50 for the week.get a night fishing permit at the visitors center,it's no charge let's you park at all federal lots from mid night till 6am town lots are good after 4 or 5.stop and see Paul at Blackberrys in Eastham he will give you the real info not yank your chain as will the bigger shop in Orleans wikl.make sure you stay away from any trucks with VT plates he is an a hole and doesn't like people have fun

Appreciate the info! And I'll make sure to stay clear of the fun hating vt plate guy haha. Thanks!

25 mins ago, wrangler508 said:

Thank you for the advice. I've seen plenty of seals but luckily never had one take the fish I caught. Never even would have thought to do this so thanks again! 

They can also wait for you to release a fish and then rush in to take it.  They are one seriously enormous pain in the a$$. Provincetown and Race Point are a tiny glimmer of what they once were.  You can't just take a car on the beach.  There are regs about tire size, clearance, and certain equipment required (jack, shovel, etc).  Be aware that the shore can be a fairly steep slope there and the tide range is really significant.  Don't go out there in a vehicle casually...especially at night.

27 mins ago, wrangler508 said:

Appreciate the info! And I'll make sure to stay clear of the fun hating vt plate guy haha. Thanks!

Vermonters are no fun overall.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hmmm watch out for the p town culture. If you’ve never been there be prepared to be surprised! Goodluck. Maybe check out nauset beach. Only fished it early season can’t comment on what it’s like this time of year. 

Edited by Jturnbull

4 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

They can also wait for you to release a fish and then rush in to take it.  They are one seriously enormous pain in the a$$. Provincetown and Race Point are a tiny glimmer of what they once were.  You can't just take a car on the beach.  There are regs about tire size, clearance, and certain equipment required (jack, shovel, etc).  Be aware that the shore can be a fairly steep slope there and the tide range is really significant.  Don't go out there in a vehicle casually...especially at night.

I reached out to the park service and they gave me the low down on the equipment needed to get a sticker. They also said only 1/2 mile stretch is open for orv. Think we might try and walk it to see if it's even worth it to bring the car. I like having the vehicle close by with all my spare plugs rods and gear in case I want to change some things up. I say car but it's an suv so hopefully it will meet the clearances. We drive on Duxbury beach with out issue so I'm thinking it will be fine. Will definitely be careful while driving out there. I don't think they allow vehicles on the beach at night which is a bit of a bummer but I'm hoping to find some good parking access points where it won't be too much of an issue. 

The ORV beach is currently completely closed due to plovers nesting. Probably won’t reopen until the chicks can fly mid August. 

4 hours ago, wrangler508 said:

I reached out to the park service and they gave me the low down on the equipment needed to get a sticker. They also said only 1/2 mile stretch is open for orv. Think we might try and walk it to see if it's even worth it to bring the car. I like having the vehicle close by with all my spare plugs rods and gear in case I want to change some things up. I say car but it's an suv so hopefully it will meet the clearances. We drive on Duxbury beach with out issue so I'm thinking it will be fine. Will definitely be careful while driving out there. I don't think they allow vehicles on the beach at night which is a bit of a bummer but I'm hoping to find some good parking access points where it won't be too much of an issue. 

Oh if you are good on Duxbury Beach you'll be fine.  Don't think a half mile access is worth it...just walk.

There is also a solid head boat off the dock in Provincetown that I take quite often called the Cee Jay Fishing Charter. It never gets that full and they are great at finding fish. It's a fairly low cost option (compared to a private charter) to getting out on the water if you are looking for that as well. Enjoy the weekend.