Duke of the North Shore

Yozuri Hydro Minnow

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I have one in my bag, a LC. It casts well, as you might expect. It swims deeper than an SP, but I couldn't get it to do much more than wiggle tightly. It would handle a fast retrieve or trolling, but doesn't do the spastic flutter,

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

I have one in my bag, a LC. It casts well, as you might expect. It swims deeper than an SP, but I couldn't get it to do much more than wiggle tightly. It would handle a fast retrieve or trolling, but doesn't do the spastic flutter,

I was hoping to find something that casts well but has good action with heavy duty hooks. I upgraded my SPs  to 4x strong and am not impressed with the action. I read the Hydros come with stout hooks and doesn’t affect the action negatively 

Hung a lot of fish on it down here in NJ and it works really well when wading/casting into shallower waters.  SP's will bump bottom where the Hydro will swim slightly subsurface. 

4 hours ago, fishless said:

Hung a lot of fish on it down here in NJ and it works really well when wading/casting into shallower waters.  SP's will bump bottom where the Hydro will swim slightly subsurface. 

Huh. Maybe I need a non-LC version?

4 hours ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

I was hoping to find something that casts well but has good action with heavy duty hooks. I upgraded my SPs  to 4x strong and am not impressed with the action. I read the Hydros come with stout hooks and doesn’t affect the action negatively 

Take off the back hook entirely? What size hook? I'm due to upgrade my SPs, I'm thinking 1/0 or 2/0 4x at most. I could be convinced to try single hooks too.

8 mins ago, fishless said:

Is there a different one?  The LC is rated to run 2/3 feet deep.

I think you're right, I can't find a reference to a Hydro that isn't LC. I'm almost sure mine was running deeper than an SP. Maybe they were different sizes, but I thought they were both size 17.

9 mins ago, fishless said:

Is there a different one?  The LC is rated to run 2/3 feet deep.

6 hours ago, ermghoti said:

The Hydro Minnow swims much shallower than the SP . . . that's the beauty.  It casts as well, but more effective in skinny water.  There are only two versions, I believe, the 150 and 170.  I've used the 150 with great success in each of the last two springs.  All the colors are effective as long as it's bone :)