Duster535

Obx Bull Red Drum Fishing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Alright, im planning on fishing for red drum this season, and i plan on coming down to jennettes pier to do so. I really want to fish the tournament this year just for the fun of it, and i would also really like to fish hatteras as well. So the reason i post this is if i can get as much knowledge from you guys as i can i would really appreciate it. Ive seen so many guys hook up on them through the years and it looks like loads of fun, this year the goal is to land my first bull red. 

Thanks in advance

Can't speak to fishing tournaments but I can say that the regulars camped out at the end of the docks - the hard core drum fishermen never seemed too excited about sharing their space. I would not count on tournaments being more open.

If you really want drum you might be better off going Hatteras way. You might get one off the beach (or the point if you don't mind the crowd) but your best bet IMO is to get an inshore charter. Those captains are out there everyday and have a much better idea of what areas are producing when you are there. 

Fresh bait is King, along with no braid. Have bait lined up before you come down, if you can bring fresh pogies your in the game. Ive caught most of my beach and pier fish on spots, blues, and mullet. Call ahead to the shops, don't be scared to pay ahead and leave some extra cash for the bait. I don't fish the banks, but further south where we are lucky to get two solid weeks off my home pier. Above all bring beer and be polite, free beer will make lots of friends.

be prepared.  b comfortable throwing 12ft rod.  preferably conventional.  load w 17 lb mono.  attach 8 oz sinker at home imagine ur on the pier and u got a 12x12 area to cast.practice till u  know u won't screw up.   when u get to pier the end is where ur going. there is typically a yellow line that folks stand behind so you can cast safely. often there will b a regulator of sorts.....so watch for a minute, slam a beer , walk up , announce ur gonna cast, and bust that cast u been practicing ....... 

now the easy part....drink more beer until ur rod goes off.   

Good idea on the advance bait although I don't know what you may end up with.

Tournaments clean out the local bait coolers quick.

I've done the tournament for the last 4 years , Yes it's a tad crowded but not a problem , just remember that the rods leaning on the rail starting price about 550.00 and up and they take great pride in their Drum rigs. 

Spot on with the bait thing,  That's the make it or break it. 

The picture is about half the Rods 

20170930_081758.jpg

15 hours ago, hhager23 said:

Can't speak to fishing tournaments but I can say that the regulars camped out at the end of the docks - the hard core drum fishermen never seemed too excited about sharing their space. 

Don't worry about the "regulars", sometimes it does get tight but just respect others and their equipment  and you'll be fine.  Also don't be afraid to ask for advice as most guys are more than willing to help.  

On 7/11/2019 at 6:50 AM, NH Paul said:

Don't worry about the "regulars", sometimes it does get tight but just respect others and their equipment  and you'll be fine.  Also don't be afraid to ask for advice as most guys are more than willing to help.  

This right here.  99% of the serious drum pros will help you if you're respectful and ask.  Just pay attention to what's going on and tend your rod when somebody has a fish on.  This is serious fishing but it's also an absolute blast, so if you want to drink a couple, by all means, but getting sloppy on a pier during a drum bite is asking for problems.  Same goes for the beach.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m currently in Fripp, killed the reds on an inshore charter on Monday, smallish reds up to about 30’.

loaded the surf rod up last night in the surf with whole frozen mullet(pogies?) and got a nice 35” red

amazing the lack of color on the surf caught red vs those beautiful fish from the back 

fish in the back were all taken on gulp

Edited by wasy