707steelnstripe

The Artisanal BootFoot Wader Revolution: Make It Happen Now!

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, when people, after a bowl or two, sit around and “salon” - sometimes they come up with the Declaration of Independence...sometimes they dream up this. 

Edited by Paul E

4 hours ago, 707steelnstripe said:

Great idea. That's why I was hoping someone would dissect their bootfoots for us and post pictures of what they find. Then we can move on to how to do this. 

Most use stockingfoots because they  allow you to use the boot of your choice! It’s your idea, buy some bootfoots, cut them up and let the fun begin.

A very good bootfoot is made by Aquaz , that have a  commercial grade boot attached thru a neo connection ! Very comfortable and lightweight ! 

I have a pair of Gralite waders that are still going strong after 20 years.. The company that makes them, StandardSafety, is still in business and they will make custom waders for you. Just put a dot com after the company’s name and you’ll find them on the web. These waders won’t be breathable and  I have no idea what they cost but you’ll get a decade or two out of them with reasonable care. I never understood the whole breathable wader fascination, anyway. The idea of breathable waders is a good one but those breathable fabrics don’t really do much to keep you dry, do they? Want to stay dry? Wear the proper undergarments which will absorb perspiration and condensation. You’re wading in the ocean, for Pete’s sake, how dry do you think you can really be?

Today the waders are ultra lite and the boots weigh a ton ?  I hate my LLBean boots  I’m always tripping 

3 hours ago, ccb said:

Today the waders are ultra lite and the boots weigh a ton ?  I hate my LLBean boots  I’m always tripping 

What LL Bean waders do you have? The LL Bean boots for their current line are so insanely lightweight they lack a sole in the middle of the foot. It's litrally crazy. I feel it is a coordinated assault on the marketplace to get people to stop buying bootfoots so they can stop making them. 

Enter the artisanal bootfoot alternative...

22 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

USIA waders are working on a breathable pair.......they offer the bogs option as an add on to their non breathable waders.

Funny thing...many of the pricey guide weight waders......are barely breathable as is.

I have a pair of the non breathable. I love them. I have the full zipper down front. When im walking down beach i open the zipper and fold them down over my belt. 

The material is strong as hell. I have the kevlar knee pads and two thigh pockets. Also the boggs boots .

Worth every penny

18 hours ago, Paul E said:

So, when people, after a bowl or two, sit around and “salon” - sometimes they come up with the Declaration of Independence...sometimes they dream up this. 

But imagine if we could make this happen! Pretty soon you'll be able to buy all the pot you could ever want and melt your brains but, oddly, you will not be able to buy an affordable pair of waders with decent boots. That's some harsh smoke!

42 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

But imagine if we could make this happen! Pretty soon you'll be able to buy all the pot you could ever want and melt your brains but, oddly, you will not be able to buy an affordable pair of waders with decent boots. That's some harsh smoke!

Oddly, I’ve always been able to buy all the pot I wanted. Have several pair of comfortable yet affordable waders. When in-salon, ideas are practical. Never even considered reinventing the wheel or any of the other six simple tools. 

Harsh smoke?  That’s the result of growing your own - whether waders or otherwise.  Go out and buy some quality. For waders, both Hodgman and Frogg-Toggs offer a wide variety of well designed, comfortable, affordable options. 

BTW - as intelligent as I am rumored to be - I’ve only one brain. So, not “brains”.  

And...The Declaration of Independence allusion is pretty accurate.  No research on whether those guys ever tried to glue Wonder Bread bags to their snow pants after a late-night session. 

23 mins ago, Paul E said:

Oddly, I’ve always been able to buy all the pot I wanted. Have several pair of comfortable yet affordable waders. When in-salon, ideas are practical. Never even considered reinventing the wheel or any of the other six simple tools. 

Harsh smoke?  That’s the result of growing your own - whether waders or otherwise.  Go out and buy some quality. For waders, both Hodgman and Frogg-Toggs offer a wide variety of well designed, comfortable, affordable options. 

BTW - as intelligent as I am rumored to be - I’ve only one brain. So, not “brains”.  

And...The Declaration of Independence allusion is pretty accurate.  No research on whether those guys ever tried to glue Wonder Bread bags to their snow pants after a late-night session. 

I didn't see any Hodgman breathables bootfoots on their webbie. Do u have a link? Looking at the FroggToggs but their boots look questionable. 

All that would matter with the artisanal bootfoots is that they don't leak. And that the boot-leg bond don't fail. It would be so simple, and yet it's so hard to innovate. Many people resist change probably due to having interest in seeing the monopoly on crap to remain in the hands of LL Bean and other sportswear companies. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:09 AM, valentine said:

I have a pair of Gralite waders that are still going strong after 20 years.. The company that makes them, StandardSafety, is still in business and they will make custom waders for you. Just put a dot com after the company’s name and you’ll find them on the web. These waders won’t be breathable and  I have no idea what they cost but you’ll get a decade or two out of them with reasonable care. I never understood the whole breathable wader fascination, anyway. The idea of breathable waders is a good one but those breathable fabrics don’t really do much to keep you dry, do they? Want to stay dry? Wear the proper undergarments which will absorb perspiration and condensation. You’re wading in the ocean, for Pete’s sake, how dry do you think you can really be?

These were the best waders I ever used. I'm glad you can still get them? I was unaware they were still available? Thanks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I feel your pain, my previous pair of boot foot waders were a set of $$$Chota's. Boots were nice but the waders lasted less than 20 uses. They started leaking after only 6 mos. 

FWIW, I currently have a pair of the LL Been BF waders that I purchased two years back. These were recently on sale for $200 with a 1 year love it or return it gaurentee. 

So far, I believe these have been the most comfortable and reliable pair of waders I've owned at any cost. The boots in particular age "grippy" on the outside but form fitting on the inside. 

No affiliation yada, yada

p.s That said, I've often thought about getting a cheap pair of stocking foot waders and gooping them into a pair of oversized sneakers/ muck boots. :-)

Edited by WeeHooker

On 7/10/2019 at 9:39 PM, Capt. Lou said:

A very good bootfoot is made by Aquaz , that have a  commercial grade boot attached thru a neo connection ! Very comfortable and lightweight ! 

@Capt. Lou thanks for tip. I love the Aquaz boot and the connection. Very impressed. Sadly, they have extremely limited size range in boots. Size 11 for the large waders. Size 12 for XLs. I need size 11 boots but size XL inseam. Afraid it is a no go. Will have to create my own artisanals.