707steelnstripe

The Artisanal BootFoot Wader Revolution: Make It Happen Now!

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

How would one make one's own bootfoot waders using breathable stocking foots, chopping off the bottoms, and joining them to muck boots of your own choosing?

 

You can't buy decent bootfoot waders these days without spending Simms levels of cash. The boots all suck or they are felt bottomed, as in case of Orvis' Encounter waders. The boots fall apart before the waders seams. I ain't got time for that. You see, I want a boot that doesn't fall apart before the waders themselves. Is it too much to ask that the breathable nylon fabric falls apart before the rubber boots do?  

 

The time is now for artisanal bootfoot waders. Let's do it. 

 

Thanks. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question to start with is: how do the commercial, non-artisanal bootfoot waders attach boots to the wader legs? Stitched? Glue? Inserting the material into the rubber somehow and then gluing it like into a fold at the top of the rubber boot? 

 

Could someone take apart their waders at the boot and share some pictures? I think this is first step. 

 

Only do this if you have broken unsaveable waders--don't cut them up too badly as you will probably want to do the artisanal conversion  process on them. We can use them as a test pair befure mucking up any other ones...

 

Thx, 

STEELE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thought: I think the bootfoot waders are made by stitching the wader legs to the uncoated top of the boot. Then they glue it and seal it. Then finally they build the rest of the boot? Does that sound right???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting question.. A friend of mine wears stockingfoot waders with a pair of muck boots. He drilled drainage holes in the soles 'of the boots. 

Works for him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Slaptail said:

Interesting question.. A friend of mine wears stockingfoot waders with a pair of muck boots. He drilled drainage holes in the soles 'of the boots. 

Works for him.

 

 

 

Thanks Slaptail. Interesting. But I want to stay on topic and work on artisaning this and really screwing over the ripoffs artists known as "Major Tackle Companies"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get your hands on a pair of boot foots and see how they are assembled.....its all reverse engineering from there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, jesgord said:

Get your hands on a pair of boot foots and see how they are assembled.....its all reverse engineering from there.

 

Great idea. That's why I was hoping someone would dissect their bootfoots for us and post pictures of what they find. Then we can move on to how to do this. 

 

These news superseam waders with the sonic seam technology are pretty great in terms of seams but to pay for it they use boots that fall apart after a short period of use. This is to sell more product and screw over the consumer. 

 

LETS TURN THE TABLES ON THESE JOKERS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USIA waders are working on a breathable pair.......they offer the bogs option as an add on to their non breathable waders.

Funny thing...many of the pricey guide weight waders......are barely breathable as is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

 

Funny thing...many of the pricey guide weight waders......are barely breathable as is.

Another scam point and I agree. Breathable in name only. But you know what I can accept that. Wear the right undergarments and it's ok.

 

The main point is soon there won't be any decent bootfoot waders. LL Bean is selling all of their bootfoots, they carry three kinds which is nice, with the same crappy boot that is a totally joke, and a sick one at that.

 

LL Bean superseam technology great. LL Bean Boots an outrage. Buy stocking foots cheap and attach own boots. This is goal. 

 

Go:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

Another scam point and I agree. Breathable in name only. But you know what I can accept that. Wear the right undergarments and it's ok.

 

The main point is soon there won't be any decent bootfoot waders. LL Bean is selling all of their bootfoots, they carry three kinds which is nice, with the same crappy boot that is a totally joke, and a sick one at that.

 

LL Bean superseam technology great. LL Bean Boots an outrage. Buy stocking foots cheap and attach own boots. This is goal. 

 

Go:

Problem is.....with the northeast's wet weather pattern....you have to wear waders now through the summer....skeeters are still active in the shade...and multifloral rose is now the state's most common plant.......undergarments of performance fabrics to a bathing suit....makes no difference...$500+  and should come with a half mile of the truck swampass gurantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

Problem is.....with the northeast's wet weather pattern....you have to wear waders now through the summer....skeeters are still active in the shade...and multifloral rose is now the state's most common plant.......undergarments of performance fabrics to a bathing suit....makes no difference...$500+  and should come with a half mile of the truck swampass gurantee.

You'll no argument from me on that. Was there ever decent breathable waders? I do not know. 

 

But I want to focus on bootfoots and screwing over the alleged TACKLE SCAMMERS at LL Bean with their FAKE BOOTS. 

 

Artisanal breathable bootfoots is the key to eliminating their monopoly on crap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

But I want to focus on bootfoots and screwing over the alleged TACKLE SCAMMERS at LL Bean with their FAKE BOOTS.

 

Artisanal breathable bootfoots is the key to eliminating their monopoly on crap. 

 

You mean there is someone in the US who want to work at a cheaper rate than a Chinese sweat shop? Monopoly, hardly, It's a tiny niche market that no one else want to get in for that kind of price. "Artisanal" = $$$$ .  Have you seen the price of those artisanal pork rinds when uncle josh stop making them?   If you have more resource than LLB and willing to work for less than nothing, then go for it. by all means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Artisanal I just meaen DIY or made in America at home. Something we can do at home with decent rugged boots and stockingfoot waders that we want ot convert. Not looking to make money of this. I'm doing this for the benefit of all fishing folk. So will someone please produce a pair of waders for dissection???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Problem is.....with the northeast's wet weather pattern....you have to wear waders now through the summer....skeeters are still active in the shade...and multifloral rose is now the state's most common plant.......undergarments of performance fabrics to a bathing suit....makes no difference...$500+  and should come with a half mile of the truck swampass gurantee.

 

One thing to consider: I don't know if there are any waders you can wear in the sun on a 80 degree day and expect to not get sort of muggy in. That has to be accepted as part of the price of admission. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a problem inherent in your method of dissecting a pair to see how they are made. You will do a bunch of work learning how to make leaky boots. The best breathable waders I owned were Snowbees. I got 4 or 5 years out of them. I did get 10 years out of Gralite waders but they were definitely not breathable. Since neither Snowbee or Gralites are available the best I have done is 2 years out of Cabelas breathable waders. Since Bass Pro bought Cabelas and the only Bass Pro waders I bought leaked on the first trip I may be wearing a wetsuit this Fall. When we first got married 40+years ago I got through the fall with hip boots and rain pants over them. It wasn’t too bad but you couldn’t wade out onto the bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.