robmedina

Have you seen the new Hobie 360 drive?

33 posts in this topic

Just now, Jeffz1 said:

Those Hobie people must have  a.d.d.

Looks cool.

This will be fun to follow.

Those 180 guys arent  going to be able to give those drives away.

It remains to be seen how long it will take for this to make its way to the rest of the fleet, and at what cost. I really wouldn't be interested in a ~$3500 Revo or Outback.

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

It remains to be seen how long it will take for this to make its way to the rest of the fleet, and at what cost. I really wouldn't be interested in a ~$3500 Revo or Outback.

I saved money by not buying the 180 drive so there is that. Lol.

The biggest negative on the revo 16 is the turn radious. Hopefully this drive proves to be reliable and hobie fits this in the 16.

2 hours ago, gobigblue said:

i thought the same thing until i got my 180 drive. 

No one every said I wished I had less boat control...

Wondering if this will trickle down to other Hobie platforms

It's not backwards compatible with the existing models.  My guess is that it'll just be on the PAs and likely the a special version of the Outback.  I saw the patent for this and it looks like there the mechanism to adjust direction is through a knob on top of the steering handle.  So some type of gear or pulley. system to engage with it.

Only available for the PA 12 or 14 this fall. Hulls need a new re-designed well for the 360.

Looks like a helluva lot of fun. Reminds me when gyros came out for BMX so no more need for long brake cables to do bar spins LOL.

Gotta love the ingenuity, but I am still skeptical about maintenance and durability. 

If they decide to make new molds for the other core hulls, I hope they make a strong stern keel for straighter tracking when paddling. I’d have to imagine that a sailing rudder plus 360 MD will be enough for quick turning. 

Al, (Kinghong) I heard another rumor the next hull to get the 360 drive will be the new  upgraded Revo 13, it makes complete sense why they waited to do the redesign of the hull!......jack     :hooked:

I hope there's a way to lock the  drive in "forward" position. Will need it when the turn gears/pulleys/lines quit on you few miles from launch :)

But gotta tip the hat to Hobie ... just when you think MD cant be improved any more, they surprise ya again.

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Hobie is a true leader in the industry.

Agree they are.  Hoping that would spawn off competitions but not yet.