Metalkon

Fishing Rod For Both Striped Bass & Chain Pickerel?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good fishing rod that can handle striped bass (big ones without breaking) while also not being too heavy duty to enjoy some chain pickerel fishing? I've mostly been looking at the ugly stik rods while scratching my head but i'm not having luck finding something suitable for me. It's pretty hard to find the rod, let alone one with a budget of $100cad or somewhere around that area (less is better though lol).

- My reel is an Abu Garcia 4600c3 (conventional baitcaster) and I would probably throw 1-2oz jigs and 1/4 to 3/8oz spinnerbaits most of the time.
- My local lake is known for having large chain pickerel as the lake is completely filled with these fish. Casting distance is a great bonus for this lake.
- A local river (freshwater but not too far from saltwater) has striped bass though i'm not sure how often the jumbo sized 40"+ stripers go to my local spot. Casting distance doesn't matter much for my favorite spot.
- I would like to have a single fishing rod that can handle both of the above, as light as possible to enjoy the fight of pickerel, but sturdy enough to not break if a monster striper bites it.
- Casting distance greatly improves the pickerel fishing, was looking into surf rods previously but hard to find 9-12" medium or lighter surf rods and i'm unsure if they'd survive a rare 30-40lb striped bass. Most surf rods seem to be quite expensive.

Edited by Metalkon

I fear you will have trouble finding one rod that meets all your needs as stated. Kind of like one gun for squirrels and moose- you're gonna be badly equipped for at least one of them. Give some serious thought to 2 outfits more tailored to your needs. they do not have to be expensive (though they sure can be).

It is not in your budget range, but 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods can meet your requirements to catch 30 - 40 lb striper as well as chain pickerel. In fact, some guy uses 10' Suzuki rod for trout in lakes in California.  

Here is his comment.

"I'm in freshwater and been using  8lb,,mono,,0.009in,,sunline,,,,i have got a 4lb brook,,, 6lb hybrid,,,28in carp,,no problem I use light drag not to pull a hook."

20180816_192406.jpg

He looks for a rod which can do to catch 30 lb striper and freshwater fish. In my subjective opinion, the Black Hole Suzuki rods could be the only rods regardless of prices. 

I bring the Suzuki rods for coho salmon in Alaska in Sept. 

Edited by ksong

40 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Asks for a rod $75 or less and people are suggesting $200+ rods. Awesome

Because he's asking for the purple unicorn. Such single rod does not exist.  1/4oz to 2oz range?  Pickerel and giant stripers?  Just be glad that ksong take the time to respond.

You are overthinking the large striped bass aspect.

Being able to toss 2 oz jigs and 1/4 oz spinnerbaits on the same rod is pushing the limits of any rod imo, but if I were you I'd look into a 7' 1/2-2 oz range rod such as a star stellar lite.  The PG1120ISM might work.  Don't be afraid to buy used to keep costs down.

I have a 7' Shimano Compre spinning rod 1/4-1oz which excels at medium to medium heavy freshwater, and I've also used for keeper sized stripers. I'd check out something in that general vicinity, you could lean heavier of you're consistently throwing over 1oz or tangling with larger stripers. Okuma makes good rods for the value; in fact, I have an Okuma version of the Shimano, the Connoisseur, IIRC, which is a tad lighter at 1/8-3/4oz. You could also look into a heavy steelhead rod, lots of them get rated up to 1 or 1 1/2 oz, and the length would help cushion the line against bigger fish without flogging the smaller ones.

5 hours ago, Mountain fisher said:

I fear you will have trouble finding one rod that meets all your needs as stated. Kind of like one gun for squirrels and moose- you're gonna be badly equipped for at least one of them. Give some serious thought to 2 outfits more tailored to your needs. they do not have to be expensive (though they sure can be).

I've been considering two rods and switching the reel between them but it's a hard decision, it's worth trying though.

5 hours ago, ksong said:

It is not in your budget range, but 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods can meet your requirements to catch 30 - 40 lb striper as well as chain pickerel. In fact, some guy uses 10' Suzuki rod for trout in lakes in California.  

Here is his comment.

"I'm in freshwater and been using  8lb,,mono,,0.009in,,sunline,,,,i have got a 4lb brook,,, 6lb hybrid,,,28in carp,,no problem I use light drag not to pull a hook."

A little bit out of my current budget but it's good to know that it exists in case the budget increases, thanks.

2 hours ago, Ravens52988 said:

Asks for a rod $75 or less and people are suggesting $200+ rods. Awesome

Good to know about it at least. :p

1 hour ago, ksong said:

He looks for a rod which can do to catch 30 lb striper and freshwater fish. In my subjective opinion, the Black Hole Suzuki rods could be the only rods regardless of prices. 

I bring the Suzuki rods for coho salmon in Alaska in Sept.

Hmm

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Because he's asking for the purple unicorn. Such single rod does not exist.  1/4oz to 2oz range?  Pickerel and giant stripers?  Just be glad that ksong take the time to respond.

I don't have any 2oz jigs right now and the range of those would be between 1-2oz, which jigs I get would depend on the rod that I buy.

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Being able to toss 2 oz jigs and 1/4 oz spinnerbaits on the same rod is pushing the limits of any rod imo, but if I were you I'd look into a 7' 1/2-2 oz range rod such as a star stellar lite.  The PG1120ISM might work.  Don't be afraid to buy used to keep costs down.

Can use a jig as low as 1oz if needed, but the large striped bass is simply in case I hook one that I can try to catch it without the rod snapping even if it takes half an hour to reel it in with 150 yards of 15-30lb line.

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

I have a 7' Shimano Compre spinning rod 1/4-1oz which excels at medium to medium heavy freshwater, and I've also used for keeper sized stripers. I'd check out something in that general vicinity, you could lean heavier of you're consistently throwing over 1oz or tangling with larger stripers. Okuma makes good rods for the value; in fact, I have an Okuma version of the Shimano, the Connoisseur, IIRC, which is a tad lighter at 1/8-3/4oz. You could also look into a heavy steelhead rod, lots of them get rated up to 1 or 1 1/2 oz, and the length would help cushion the line against bigger fish without flogging the smaller ones.

I have been looking at the ugly stik salmon/steelhead rod but aside from it being a long rod that holds light lures, I don't know enough about it to know if it's the right kind of rod for both jigs and spinnerbaits while being light enough for pickerel and strong enough for the rare monster striper (ugly stik are suppose to be durable i suppose).

3 hours ago, hobobob said:

Hes just doing his job

22 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Hes just doing his job

He's bound to weigh in soon.  Well, as soon as he can from his current exotic adventure.

18 hours ago, Metalkon said:

...... It's pretty hard to find the rod, let alone one with a budget of $100cad or somewhere around that area (less is better though lol).

- My reel is an Abu Garcia 4600c3 (conventional baitcaster) and I would probably throw 1-2oz jigs and 1/4 to 3/8oz spinnerbaits most of the time.
- My local lake is known for having large chain pickerel as the lake is completely filled with these fish. Casting distance is a great bonus for this lake.
- A local river (freshwater but not too far from saltwater) has striped bass though i'm not sure how often the jumbo sized 40"+ stripers go to my local spot. Casting distance doesn't matter much for my favorite spot.
- I would like to have a single fishing rod that can handle both of the above, as light as possible to enjoy the fight of pickerel, but sturdy enough to not break if a monster striper bites it.
- Casting distance greatly improves the pickerel fishing, was looking into surf rods previously but hard to find 9-12" medium or lighter surf rods and i'm unsure if they'd survive a rare 30-40lb striped bass. Most surf rods seem to be quite expensive.

Okuma Rockaway

Perfect rod for you

In your case I would choose 9' Rockaway, 1/2 to 2 oz rating.

Only thing is I don't know if they make them conventional.

Edited by Popasilov

6 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's nothing wrong with a compromise, so long as you know it going in and have some benefit that outweighs the drawback.