Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 9 - July 16

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Fished a few spots in gansett thursday and friday for one rat bass and some cocktail blues.  Hit a spot in matunuck with my son and his friend last night looking for fluke-none to be found-caught more cocktail blues at sundown and saw a pod of large bunker frolicking unmolested down the wall...

Well sadly my week of vacation at the beach is over......  Had a blast relaxing on the beach and soaking a bunch of bait with the kids.  Lots of scup, more last year and the sizes were a bit bigger last year.  We caught 0 dogfish, which was shocking, and disappointing to the kids.  Had a lot of skates, and some different large stingrays which was fun for the kids.  This year we caught a few schoolies, and a bunch of short black sea bass after dark which was cool also.  The weeds at the beaches suck, had to do a lot of work to avoid and had to pick your tides for most fishable times with no weeds.  Learned a bunch about different aspects of the tides where i was by sitting fishing and observing with no other places to have to rush off to.  Kids had a bast and and we ended with some excitement and mystery.  The last night we decided to try some fishing after dark, due to weeds and waves fishing during the day was not productive.  Was teaching my niece to set the hook on the little bait stealers, when suddenly gets slammed.  She is yelling she cannot reel the fish in, after a bit of a battle she gets the fish near the waves but misses getting the fish in on the first wave.  The drag was really tight because setting hook with the weeds was a pain, fish decides to make a last push with the large outgoing wave and my niece hadnt learned to give a little ground when fish turns with outgoing wave and the line popped.  Was either a big bass or a really large stingray, the way it was fighting constantly trying to go down and not out makes me thing big ray but broke my 30lb braid.  That left the kids craving for more and having a story to tell, they are already looking forward to getting out again. Now back to work.........

Saw no real blitzes the entire week, birds working schools of bait at times but never saw any boats that worked them get any fish and never saw any splashes.  Baby sand eels washing up on beach at times.  Had a seal that last day that was camped out in water in front of the house.  Later in the afternoon when a bunch of us where swimming, the seal popped up out of no where right next to my wife seemed to say hi for a second and then swam off.  The kids and wife thought it was very cool, but then my son says "dont sharks follow them".  :laugh:

Yesterday I fished one of the the breachways from 2:40am until 7am. Not one hit until the Sea Robins moved in around 6am. With the full moon I could see the surface and never saw one Striper slurp on top. 

Went out Wednesday morning (full moon) 3:30-6, Newport surf ... lifeless until sun-up. Then it was schoolies every cast. Nothing over 26” (thought I saw a few keeper size tails splashing around. But couldn’t seem to get a lure past the shorts. ...had to scratch the itch.. so I dragged myself to the canal this morning - a couple of hits and one @39” (for perfect conditions and tides and lots of bait, it’s painfully slow there too)

F47B9D5E-AC1A-42B1-9B88-09F7DEC6900C.jpeg

B798E70B-F6FA-49B0-A480-DBFD2B3E152E.jpeg