Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 9 - July 16

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity that could benefit those you use the RI forum.

The purpose is to blend together all reports in a portal so they are easy to access into one file for ease of viewing. 

This is the second year trying this approach of a journal . I think last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us to be informed.  

There's been a heat wave and that has effected us fishing. Already well in July and fishing has been way off. It's a sign of the times. You put in lots of time with poor results, but we still like to get out on the water regardless. Keep those reports coming, good or bad.

We'd like to hear. 

Will be headed north bound come Friday; early morning to see what the CCC has in store.  I will have to check back and give an update ~ mid-day Fri.  Hoping for the best; been reports of good amounts of bait and top-water bite has been decent.  I hate to break my old ways of boycotting the ol' ccc, but with the slow down in the bite locally why not beat the crowds and better the odds of getting into something bigger out that way.

Cheers.

Lots of tiny baitfish and bass hitting them on top at a local to me river outlet. From what I’ve seen, the bass are all sub-legal, ranging from 10” - 24”.

In better news, I’ve gotten a few decent fluke lately. 

It was one of those days? You hear that phrase often, especially after fishing trips. The meaning sounds ambiguous, cryptic in nature. It does have a hollow ring of negative connotation attached to it. But I wish I had more of these days like we had today.  Mike Testa and Dave Pollack had the best fishing trip of the season. Everything was aligned today. The rollers, wind, tide, surface texture, temperature, clear water, everything was perfect.  We had a 40 plus fish day today and I’m under estimating the totals. Ironically we found no concentrated of bait supplies, no birds searching, diving, nothing! How can that be?

We managed four species, stripers, bluefish, sea bass, and scup on a fly out at Block Island this morning. We made great time out to the fishing grounds on flat seas and dense fog. Electronics today are unbelievable how they make it safe to maneuver in dense fog?  You really need radar out there. How fast the fog rolls in?

We found the mother lode. Stripers held on station for hours on end. The never seemed to move off station where we were fishing. There were so aggressive coming and hitting the fly. We had packs of fish following a hooked fish most of the time. I lost count how many doubles. Once we found them all stripers.

Dave Pollack had the biggest at 34 inches. If you look closely at the picture, it’s almost looks like Dave grabbed it out of the glove compartment. Mike Testa had a beauty too caught the Grand Slam with four different species.    

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

fished from 4:30 to 7:00 in the lower bay...the strength of the current was much more than I expected...an hour to the spot took an hour and a half to get back...fish were only concentrated in one area...lost one that followed my lure all the way back to my kayak...whacked it just as I was taking it out of the water.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tiny sand eels being washed up on beach by waves yest afternoon. Scup still biting strong and some big stingrays. Got some schoolies on squid mid day also. Birds working bait off shore but doesn’t seem to be fish under them, boats pull up and cast to birds/bait but all come up empty and move off.

keep having too many day drinks to bother fishing bway at night. :beers:

Edited by Kooky

1 hour ago, Dreamland said:

Found this unfortunate site on the Navy base.  No visible signs of injuries and nothing in her mouth, was 42" long

20190711_083138.jpg

Couldn't see the tide was going out

50 mins ago, Dreamland said:

It was dead low.  Probably washed in from Newport harbor area.

Wow 42"! Only if more of them would swim up a bit to the gazebo! Fish there on Mon - Wed late afternoon and pretty much got skunked!

Finally had a limit of fluke on Wednesday. Drifts were very good in the Bay. Sizes were mostly above 21” but we did have to throw back two dead 18”. Hate that. Bonita has some pics of schoolie tuna, anyone heard of any local action on that??

I found some schools of stripers in the mid-bay area in 74 degree water.   Caught a few 24" fish and missed a few trolling lures from my kayak.  Marked a lot of bait and fish on my fish finder in certain areas.