Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EarningStripes207

Squidding help

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

• Planning to head out into the Portland area and maybe a bit north one night this week and try to get into some squid. My plan as of right now is to get out after dark and target a few bridges preferably with lights and use some squid jigs. I have never done this before so if anything I said sounds right/wrong or you have some other advice it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if I get too frustrated after a while it might turn into a striper outing but would love to do something different (and eat some of my catch) 

I haven’t tried for them this season. If they’re around,  they’ll mostly be in areas with slower water. You can find really big ones in high current areas too,  ive had them follow striper lures in. Bright lights off a dock or boat with no other lights around it can really draw them in. They love shrimp! Pink, red, and orange have been the best squid jig colors for me. A jig that clicks makes a difference. If the water is deep I’ll add a weight with a bead to make more clicking. Do a few strong short jigs like an escaping shrimp then let it sit for at least 5-10 seconds. It they’re around you’ll know.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, EarningStripes207 said:
  • Planning to head out into the Portland area and maybe a bit north one night this week and try to get into some squid. My plan as of right now is to get out after dark and target a few bridges preferably with lights and use some squid jigs. I have never done this before so if anything I said sounds right/wrong or you have some other advice it would be greatly appreciated. I figure if I get too frustrated after a while it might turn into a striper outing but would love to do something different (and eat some of my catch) 

Did you get out after them? I haven’t heard too many reports of them yet...