drmevo

Trouble casting Airflo Ridge intermediate

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

Mike you don't need to practice on lawn anymore but I really think for beginners it is essential at first. I do it because I compete and it is relaxing hobby only five minutes walk away. It helps my fishing too when I know my gear good and practice keeps me in shape although too much practice has injured me too like last year. But all the hours last year show this year when I have won two Seatrout class competitions and here it always means good pretty good casting if someone I wins Sakke ;)

Esa

Esa

Redgreen is going to post a short video that Dan took this spring probably later today

Looking at it I really do need to get to the lawn and get my cast cleaned up.

I knew it was not working well as my loops were just terrible all,trip this spring.

As you will know the value of a video is that you see what’s wrong rather than what you think is wrong. What we think is not often right.

I have a growing interest to want to compete as well in the 15 foot OH section.

The reason I have agreed to have it shown is that it might help new guys.

Please feel free to pick it apart so we can learn from it. I will not mind at all.

It will help me to.

In this particular cast it looks like I have put in another back cast. I have  not done usual roll cast forward one back cast and deliver.

cheers

mike

8 hours ago, crunch said:

Why do you fly fish if you don't wan't to benefit using fly LINE casting? If catching, especially salt water fish, using weighted lures is often more productive and definitely easier!

Esa

Why do you even go fishing if all that matters are the mechanics of your cast?  Just go casting in the park. Crush the casting all day long next to the kids on the swing set and a old ladies taking a stroll.

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

Why do you even go fishing if all that matters are the mechanics of your cast?  Just go casting in the park. Crush the casting all day long next to the kids on the swing set and a old ladies taking a stroll.

I believe I can contribute useful info to casting but what comes to catching stripers I don't so I won't

Esa

12 mins ago, 707steelnstripe said:

DR M. NOW WE SEE THE REAL CPALMS. HE NEVER LEARNED THE FUNDAMENTALS. DOESN'T UNDERSTAND YOU CAN FISH AND ENJOY BEING ON THE WATER AND EMPLOYING THE FUNDAMENTALS AND UNDERSTANDING THEM SIMPLY AS A PART OF A CAST WITHOUT HARDLY THINKING ABOUT IT EXCEPT WHEN YOU NEED TO DRAW ON KNOWLEDGE TO SOLVE A PROBLEM OR DEAL WITH CONDITIONS. 

SO GLAD WE GET PUSHING ON THIS THREAD WE HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH. 

WHY ARE YOU TELLING AT ME???!!!

btw, come on out to montauk, bring your wallet, we will place a sizable wager (most, largest - your call) and then go fish. After I take every penny you have, we can have a lovely discussion on the finer points while I drink myself silly with your money.

Sound good?

On 7/8/2019 at 3:50 PM, drmevo said:

I'm sure this is more my crappy technique than anything, but I'm having a hell of a time getting any distance with my Airflo Ridge 8wt intermediate line. I generally have much better success with Rio InTouch sink tip line that I bought for when I'm fishing fast current and deeper water. I have little trouble loading the rod with the Rio (L.L. Bean Streamlight Ultra II 8wt) but with the Airflo it feels so light in comparison. Is this just an expected difference in these line types and I need to adjust and get over it? I can get the Rio to lay out fairly straight but the Airflo piles up on me quite often. I know it's a nice line but at this point I'm reaching for the Rio spool pretty much all the time.

I’ve always a fan of any ridge line, airflo ridge, SA mastery texture. To me ridge line has faster line speed on rod guides Because less drag I guess, but anyway I’ve tried that aid flow ridge with stiff rod I remember it was colton tradewinds 9wt it shoot like rocket with normal double haul nothing fancy and hooked fun size trevally, and Rio line I think to me, they’re more oversize, 8wt line it feels like 9wt for me. 

01721871-12AD-4509-89FD-4968006DF396.jpeg

You mean you believe what’s written on the Airflo Packaging.

What I find interesting is that no matter what fly line makers claim that desperately few of us make the holy grail of 90 feet. I don’t know who said it is 90 feet but it has been that for years.

We have higher tech rods and we are told higher tech lines but us humans generally have not improved alongside the changes in gear.

I can’t see that changing in what’s left of my lifetime.

Mike

1 min ago, Mike Oliver said:

You mean you believe what’s written on the Airflo Packaging.

What I find interesting is that no matter what fly line makers claim that desperately few of us make the holy grail of 90 feet. I don’t know who said it is 90 feet but it has been that for years.

We have higher tech rods and we are told higher tech lines but us humans generally have not improved alongside the changes in gear.

I can’t see that changing in what’s left of my lifetime.

Mike

Right now the issue is the airflo line piling up on Dr. EVO. That's tailing loops. He needs to study the fundamentals. Will only take a few weeks, will be fun, and he will learn a lot. Go for it Dr. E!

On 7/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, 707steelnstripe said:

Right now the issue is the airflo line piling up on Dr. EVO. That's tailing loops. He needs to study the fundamentals. Will only take a few weeks, will be fun, and he will learn a lot. Go for it Dr. E!

YOU ARE SO ANGRY, 707STEELNSTRIPE in ALL of your postings recently.: r u,  perhaps, otshanayayauha,(sp)SO ANTAGONISTIC from posts past where you have been so negative? We, here, on SOL, are SO done with your postings, being so negative. And, you have posted that you have a new posting name here on SOL: 707STEELNSTRIPE? True?

You are just so antagonistic here on a forum where we hope to share helpful info. What is your "message" here on SOL? We're peaceful, informational SOL members, trying to learn spots and all you do is b....! I think members here on SOl would appreciate your getting lost from the postings. 

My apologies folks, I was in the wilds of Virginia without any internet access last week - this troll, who used to post here as Ostasomething or other, has been removed. 

TimS