drmevo

Trouble casting Airflo Ridge intermediate

Rate this topic

115 posts in this topic

I'm sure this is more my crappy technique than anything, but I'm having a hell of a time getting any distance with my Airflo Ridge 8wt intermediate line. I generally have much better success with Rio InTouch sink tip line that I bought for when I'm fishing fast current and deeper water. I have little trouble loading the rod with the Rio (L.L. Bean Streamlight Ultra II 8wt) but with the Airflo it feels so light in comparison. Is this just an expected difference in these line types and I need to adjust and get over it? I can get the Rio to lay out fairly straight but the Airflo piles up on me quite often. I know it's a nice line but at this point I'm reaching for the Rio spool pretty much all the time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Could be you need to slow down the cast and try the Belgian style which is basically on the back hand cast pull from the side, like waist high, then forward cast overhead.  Slow down, more open casts.  I have that line and throw it on a 8' TFO BVK.  The line is a different material has little to no flex so you may be used to the mass of other lines?

Edited by scooleen74

6 mins ago, scooleen74 said:

Could be you need to slow down the cast and try the Belgian style which is basically on the back hand cast pull from the side, like waist high, then forward cast overhead.  Slow down, more open casts.  I have that line and throw it on a 8' TFO BVK.  The line is a different material has little to no flex so you may be used to the mass of other lines?

Thanks. I'm not really used to anything because I just started fly fishing this season, but I think the Rio seems to have more mass, and it definitely flexes. I guess it just seems more forgiving, if that makes sense.

Agree about the line weights.

Not saying it is your rod, but lines will cast differently on different rods or rod actions.

If you fish with other folks who have different 8 wts rods then yours, try your line on their rods.

Just my opinion, but some rods and lines are magical combos well others don't work well together.

I had a similar experience recently with a bass / pike line.

It didn't cast well on one of my 8 wts  but cast great on another one of my 8 wt rods.

SF.

2 hours ago, Stonefish said:

Agree about the line weights.

Not saying it is your rod, but lines will cast differently on different rods or rod actions.

If you fish with other folks who have different 8 wts rods then yours, try your line on their rods.

Just my opinion, but some rods and lines are magical combos well others don't work well together.

I had a similar experience recently with a bass / pike line.

It didn't cast well on one of my 8 wts  but cast great on another one of my 8 wt rods.

SF.

^ This, plus I believe that that AirFlo line is properly weighted (more or less a true 8wt line), whereas the Rio as Slip points out is heavier (there's actually a new thread about this line, with some complaining that it is too heavy and one person cutting 3' off the tip to compensate).  A sinking line also has less wind resistance. 

Lastly the Streamlight Ultra II rods are a bit stiff with perhaps less feel than some pricier rods.   I have one of the Ultra II speys which is labeled a 7wt but is in reality a 7/8 or 8wt.  The modern overseas blanks are quite light and powerful for what you pay.  When you find a line match for it, you will know.  You could try trading that Airflo intermediate with someone who has the 9wt version. 

Edited by Killiefish

I've cast the airflo, it is a true to rating line and it being a longer head than most, really rewards the more aggressive caster with a harder casting stroke. If your stroke is a bit slowish you may find yourself having issues getting it to unroll and holding it in the air before shooting. I had to adjust a bit from my usual fly lines but quite like how much of the airflo striper line you can hold before shooting. 

Slowing down your rod stroke  to solve an imagined problem will not help at all.

You will in fact find it even more difficult to feel your line and also get it out straight behind you on the back cast which is critical to making a decent  forward  cast. Odds are if you do the line won’t extend and it will hit the floor behind you.

You are new so probably like most of us when we were new struggling a bit with your cast.

What needs fixing is essentially your cast. A heavier line is not really going to help. Being able to cast any line will. It is rarely gear that’s the issue.

The Airflow Ridge is a truly excellent  line.

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

It is not the line and it is not the rod. 

It is a major line velocity issue related to casting flaws......probably a whole set of them.

I think if I remember correctly the Airflo Striper Intermediate is 290 or 300gr, so it is still relatively heavy.  I'm not sure how they measure that though (first 30' or the entire head, which is 40').  I'm guessing the Rio has a shorter head which makes it seem easier to cast.  Like numbskull said, more line velocity is needed to aerialize the longer head.  

Airflo striper has a 40' head, so it will be heavier than a shorter head assuming both are of AFTMA standard. 

The 10wt line still feels like a proper 10wt line though. 

Long head lines have more capability in winds and for distance but ultimately need more skill to wield effectively. Stick it out, improve your cast, you will be very happy you did. 

Here is the thread I mentioned above:

So, that and the fact that the OP seems to like the Rio line in question on his rod (had no problems casting it) suggests to me that the rod he has, combined with the casting abilities he currently has (albeit as a beginner) could mean that the rod/line match is wrong.  LL Bean does not know what an "X" weight rod is, and neither they nor their supplier of rods provide line match information for the Ultra II series.  The Ultra II series of rods is in fact quite stiff, in keeping with the trend for stiff, tip action rods.  It does not surprise me in the least that he's having trouble feeling that particular Airflo line load his nominally "8 wt" rod.   In fact when the OP was looking at lines, I should have suggested, if I didn't (tho I might have) that he get the 9wt Airflo line for it not the 8wt.  This was predictable actually if you know about the Airflo lines specs and that rod series.  Why are so many assuming that the OPs casting is at fault?  Why assume that if he's saying that he's not having issues with the heavier line??

3 hours ago, RedGreen said:

I've cast the airflo, it is a true to rating line and it being a longer head than most, really rewards the more aggressive caster with a harder casting stroke. If your stroke is a bit slowish you may find yourself having issues getting it to unroll and holding it in the air before shooting. I had to adjust a bit from my usual fly lines but quite like how much of the airflo striper line you can hold before shooting. 

RedGreen.  When you cast my airflow ridge line (WF10I) testing my Heat 7' 4" one piece "HEAT" Bass Pro knock off of The GLoomis Short Stick in Harwich Port in June The whole line and backing you laid down on the Grass with your speed cast.  Next year i would appreciate a lesson on that little circle you put in play in you double haul is awesome. 

RJ