victorjg

Ligth Weigth 9' Surf Rod Options?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi

I recently had an injury in my right shoulder, after been injected everything goes better but by Dr. I cant use heavy rods, I usually fish with 11' but I try it and the pain comes back,  a friend of mine lend me a Tica 9' lure weight ½-3 oz , good for me, but I'm looking for some more options, here in PR isn't available this kind of fishing tackle so, everything have to be ordered from outside.

What else can you suggest me in 9' long,  I use 4500 or 5000 reel with 30lb braid, lures, soft plastics, metals, burials from ½ up to 2 oz. My targets are tarpons, ebooks, Jacks,  barracudas,  snappers.. Open to suggestions

Thanks

Victor Garcia

Edited by victorjg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks to all for the answers, a friend of mine have a Black Hole, unfortunately he snap it (break)  casting a 1 oz bucktail, still unknown why the rod breaks with just that weigth.

The rod still under the one year warranty and its supposed to be replaced,  will see.

I have seen the rod and its very powerful even when doesn't appear to be. About the ODM I cant say anything I never seen it before, but his specs and reviews make it a temptation ..

A Shimano Stradic FK 5000 can be good pair for this rod?

Thanks

Victor 

Edited by victorjg

2 hours ago, victorjg said:

Thanks to all for the answers, a friend of mine have a Black Hole, unfortunately he snap it (break)  casting a 1 oz bucktail, still unknown why the rod breaks with just that weigth.

The rod still under the one year warranty and its supposed to be replaced,  will see.

I have seen the rod and its very powerful even when doesn't appear to be. About the ODM I cant say anything I never seen it before, but his specs and reviews make it a temptation ..

A Shimano Stradic FK 5000 can be good pair for this rod?

Thanks

Victor 

I got 10" Suzuki with a 3500 pfueger patriarch,,,,,,,total weight 15 to 16oz alot easier on my back,,,,,,:)

Century 8' Weapon,  will throw down to 3/8oz and up to 2.5oz, at 8' it throws like a 9'+ rod. Casts with minimal effort so it will help with your shoulder.  Plenty of power.  It's an unreal rod.

Hi

Guys.. searching all the suggestions you give me, I saw the Penn Surf Batallion in 9'. 

It looks good, not too expensive, dont know more than that..

What do you think guys? Somebody have fish with this rod?

Thanks

Victor Garcia 

Stay away from Fast & Medium action rods if your shoulder is hurting, stick with heavy action rods and adjust your casting habits and your shoulder will thank you...

3 hours ago, prican1 said:

Stay away from Fast & Medium action rods if your shoulder is hurting, stick with heavy action rods and adjust your casting habits and your shoulder will thank you...

Thanks,  and why is like this? It's not suppose to leave the rod do the job? Also In not casting more than barely 2 oz? Just an explanation to learn.. thank again will consider it