yemista

buying fresh caught lobster

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Which stores?  Roche Bros is who was $13.99 yesterday. I haven’t noticed Market Basket having any deals either. 

Roche Brothers is ALWAYS expensive. (If you are gonna get lobster there, defer and get the live soft shell crabs while they still have them. Personally I would take them over lobster ANY day.)

Last week's sales were at Stop and Shop and Shaw's, maybe Big Y. Sales change on Thursday or Friday, so not sure what they are currently, but it shouldn't be too hard to find $8.99 or less.

the demand for bugs here in chatham is so great the locals couldn't supply the fish stores...one store I was at finishing off the upstairs there was a box truck that showed up every morning like clockwork..6 to 8 wood slat crates..125 lbs of bugs each...from maine.

There is a guy in Falmouth harbor up "river" from the Flying Bridge restaurant,  near the shelfish seeds,  that is selling off the boat.   Not sure if he does it all the time but had them last sunday.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, jmarino1432 said:

Not sure where you live, but Green harbor lobster pound in Marshfield has some of the freshest I know of. The owner, Paul buys fresh from lobstermen at a relatively low quantity. He rarely keeps them in the tank more then 2 days because he keeps his supplies low. Great guy and a great view.  fried clams are out of this world 

There is also guys that sell them direct off the boat at the boat ramp in brant rock.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went to Gallilee Rhode Island at 930am, far too early but I didnt know better. Around 11am I was able to buy some fresh caught lobster. I got two over 1.6lbs and two over 1.8 lbs for $52 all together. The lobsterman I bought from was a very honest guy. I accidentally gave him $80 and he immediately gave me back a twenty, saying not to give him extra money.

Lobsters were on the grill shortly after I got home, and they were delicious. A bit of a drive but a good experience, thanks again!

I also got sand crabs which I have never tried. 12 for $10.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, PaddyCrabby said:

There is also guys that sell them direct off the boat at the boat ramp in brant rock.

Throw a fist full of cash at most guys coming in and you'll get them.  I worked out of Cohassett for years and we always sold them to people who wanted them

1 hour ago, yemista said:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I went to Gallilee Rhode Island at 930am, far too early but I didnt know better. Around 11am I was able to buy some fresh caught lobster. I got two over 1.6lbs and two over 1.8 lbs for $52 all together. The lobsterman I bought from was a very honest guy. I accidentally gave him $80 and he immediately gave me back a twenty, saying not to give him extra money.

Lobsters were on the grill shortly after I got home, and they were delicious. A bit of a drive but a good experience, thanks again!

I also got sand crabs which I have never tried. 12 for $10.

They were more than likely Jonah crabs.

4 mins ago, yemista said:

I cooked them on the grill, i think i over cooked them actually, but what's the worse case scenario if i didn't?

You get a tummy ache!