yemista

buying fresh caught lobster

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Not sure where you live, but Green harbor lobster pound in Marshfield has some of the freshest I know of. The owner, Paul buys fresh from lobstermen at a relatively low quantity. He rarely keeps them in the tank more then 2 days because he keeps his supplies low. Great guy and a great view.  fried clams are out of this world 

Edited by jmarino1432

On 7/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, MakoMike said:

In RI there is a special endorsement to the "regular" lobster license that allows the holder to sell to the public right off the boat and a lot of the boats do it. If you go to the state docks in Galilee seems like every other boat has a sign up for lobsters and crabs fo sale.

What time of day can you go? Is it just early morning or can you buy into the afternoon? I'm thinking of checking it out this weekend

52 mins ago, yemista said:

What time of day can you go? Is it just early morning or can you buy into the afternoon? I'm thinking of checking it out this weekend

I don’t honestly know. I’ve been there at various times and always see guys selling them.

2 hours ago, yemista said:

I have been there on  Friday/Saturday afternoons say about 1-2 PM and there are always at least two places. This is always in late September/early-mid October, but pretty sure they are there "all year." (Likely maybe not winter months)

Massachusetts commercially licensed lobstermen and commercial fishermen can get a Retail Boat Seafood Dealer Permit that allows them to sell directly to the public and there are quite a few that do this. The Division of Marine Fisheries likely has a list of these fishermen/dealers.   Make sure you purchase lobsters (or fish) only from one of these properly licensed people   The local harbormaster might also know who they are.  Shellfish are not allowed to be sold with this permit.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, z-man said:

Does a fresh caught lobster really taste better than one that is living in a tank at the store?  

Yep,anything free always tastes better. I buy them from a seafood place here in Cape May, I don't why but those things are as tough as shoe leather.

2 hours ago, z-man said:

Does anyone know why lobster is so expensive this year. It’s $13.99 at my local supermarket. :eek:

It’s 5.99 at my local market?

15 hours ago, MakoMike said:

So how does that help the OP?

Because they can sell lobsters, crabs, whole fish, but not other shellfish.  Here’s the link::

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/seafood-dealer-permits

the dealer lookup isn’t great, but if there’s a boat or fisherman you want to buy from, you can see if it’s legit here:

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/fishermen-and-vessels-permit-lookup

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

For the 4th of July weekend at least 2-3 different supermarket chains had them for $5.99/lb. Local fish market had them for $8.99/lb.

Which stores?  Roche Bros is who was $13.99 yesterday. I haven’t noticed Market Basket having any deals either. 

Fitzy, thanks for answering Mike's question.  There is always concern about contaminated shellfish entering the market so controls are strict at both the state and local levels.  The turd that got selling contaminated stolen oysters to Joe's Lobster Mart a few years back would have been a real problem if he had the ability to direct market plus they would not have nabbed Joe. E coli is a bad thing, along with  other shellfish borne diseases like Vibrio and red tide (paralytic shellfish poisoning).