yemista

buying fresh caught lobster

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Ive only once in my life had lobster straight out of the canal. It was the one year I had a lobster license, and we managed to catch one lobster, which was just a smidge above the legal keeper size. It was the best lobster I ever cooked, the meat was sweet and tender, and Ive yet to have a lobster that tasty anywhere. No matter how fresh a seafood restaurant claims to be, you cant beat taking one out of the water a few hours earlier.

My question is, is there a way to buy lobster right off the dock? Right away as soon as its taken in? The freshest possible lobster? Does anyone know if its legal for people who do their own lobstering to sell what they catch? If so, can you have such lobstermen PM me? If what I am asking is agains the law, forgive my ignorance and ignore my request, but I see no reason why people cant sell what they catch if they have a commerical lobstering license.

I was a comm lobsterman for quite a few years. Unless things have changed, its illegal to sell your catch directly to a consumer. Your license only allows you to sell to a dealer. 

Now what takes place behind the scenes is another thing. 

In RI there is a special endorsement to the "regular" lobster license that allows the holder to sell to the public right off the boat and a lot of the boats do it. If you go to the state docks in Galilee seems like every other boat has a sign up for lobsters and crabs fo sale.

No selling or bartering of any catch made in MA that was harvested with a rec. license regardless of species........

cwn_meplobster1_twc070719-475x369.jpg

Mass Environmental Police/CWN

BOURNE – From Mass Environmental Police: On Saturday, July 6, 2019, a Massachusetts Environmental Police Officer observed a person hauling lobster gear along the Cape Cod Canal. Upon further inspection it was determined the person did not possess a non-commercial lobster license and was hauling pots that did not belong to him. The Officer also found the individual to be in possession an egg bearing female lobster.

The individual was issued citations for hauling the gear of another and possession of an egg bearing lobster.

12 hours ago, MakoMike said:

In RI there is a special endorsement to the "regular" lobster license that allows the holder to sell to the public right off the boat and a lot of the boats do it. If you go to the state docks in Galilee seems like every other boat has a sign up for lobsters and crabs fo sale.

This ^

17 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Thanks, this is helpful. I certainly dont want to risk doing something illegal for better lobster, not at this point in my life anyways. Ill check it out this weekend maybe

Bunch of years ago I baited the traps next to my grandmothers house over in the gables, with his permission of course. Caught some nice bluefish, cut them in half and in they went. Pulled the traps the next morning after a 24hr soak and wouldn’t you know it had 7 lobsters. 3 were undersized so back they went. The other 4 went right in the pot. We were eating lobsters and scrambled eggs by 8am. It doesn’t get any better than that my friends. 

Does a fresh caught lobster really taste better than one that is living in a tank at the store?  

I personally prefer the taste a small soft shell lobster.  It seems sweeter than a hard shell      

55 mins ago, z-man said:

Does a fresh caught lobster really taste better than one that is living in a tank at the store?  

I personally prefer the taste a small soft shell lobster.  It seems sweeter than a hard shell      

Ive only tried it once and it was much better than store bought, but maybe the guys here who put out their own traps can shed more light on the subject

Deep water lobster tastes much better. I use to get them off the dock at the Chatham fish pier but you need to know someone basically. They were the best I ever had much better than canal lobster 

You do lose some of that fresh, salty , bright flavor the longer a lobby is in the tank.    
Also, the lobbys you get at the store may have also been in pounds for quite some time before being brought to market.

I have also always found that I prefer the taste and texture of a soft shelled lobby over a hard shell lobby.   I have  guessed this is probably due to the amount of water filling the space in the newly molted lobster shell and perhaps the soaking in sea water the lobster gets during the molting process.  Like a spa treatment or marinating of sorts :)

Without a doubt fresh always better. The longer the lobster sits in the tank, the more "muddy" it gets. The head meats will get more mushy as time goes on.