OBX charter suggestions

Rate this topic

JMB

Duck to Hatteras drive is close to 2 hrs - seasonal speed limits will still be in effect.  Duck to Oregon Inlet drive about 40 minutes.  September gives you a great shot at a white Marlin if you go with a full day offshore trip.  I highly recommend the Pelican/Arch Bracher out of Oregon Inlet or the Obsession/Jeff Ross out of Pirates Cove.  That time of year you want to speak with the captains when booking and be clear if you want meat (tuna/mahi) or billfish releases.   Another boat to look into for some near shore fishing would be the Rock Solid out of Oregon Inlet with Captain Aaron Kelly.  

I'd recommend OI. Fished with Skirt Chaser last year and did well, but any of the boats out of OI will produce. Go to the OI website, facebook page and take a look. If you're looking at inshore i'd definitely recommend OBX Flyfishing, husband/wife team that are world renowned for flyfishing but do any light tackle fishing. Went out with Brian a few months ago and had fun with black tip sharks on the fly! Check out their website/facebook pages.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, savfish said:

Duck to Hatteras drive is close to 2 hrs - seasonal speed limits will still be in effect.  Duck to Oregon Inlet drive about 40 minutes.  September gives you a great shot at a white Marlin if you go with a full day offshore trip.  I highly recommend the Pelican/Arch Bracher out of Oregon Inlet or the Obsession/Jeff Ross out of Pirates Cove.  That time of year you want to speak with the captains when booking and be clear if you want meat (tuna/mahi) or billfish releases.   Another boat to look into for some near shore fishing would be the Rock Solid out of Oregon Inlet with Captain Aaron Kelly.  

Very good advice.  Talk to the captain before booking.  The booking people in the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center don't always give you the straight story.

-

we fished out of Oregon Inlet on Sinbad... https://www.oregon-inlet.com/boats/business/sinbad-24/  Husband wife duo, they were great. Cant remember if we did 3/4 or full day but we ran out and hit the amberjacks and that was wild caught our limit plus some and trolled back in and picked a few kings and mahi. But they'll run inshore for trout, flounder, croakers or go out the inlet and go for blues/spanish/bonita. And i second calling the captain directly, and skip calling Oregon Inlet.

• 2 months later...

Well Dorian tried to ruin our OBX vacation (9/8-9/15) but we were able to get our full week in including our charter trip 9/10. We wound up doing some sound fishing and the targeted fish was speckled trout. We booked our trip through Bob’s bait shop in Duck. Our boat (Sound Barrier) and Captain (Matt Anderson out of Wanchese was great. We damn near limited out in the first 1/2 hour but ran out of live bait which was taking most of the fish. We headed back to the bait traps, filled up and headed back to our spot but had lost the bite by then. We still managed to limit out by the end of the trip. We kept all the fish and ate great the rest of the vacation. Fun times. 

7F14B1D4-16C8-415C-A9C1-8617E28492BC.jpeg

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc