JMB

OBX charter suggestions

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Going down to OBX in September(9/8-9/15) with the family and staying in the Duck area. My kids  want to give me a charter as a birthday present. It would be me and probably 4 other guys with limited fish experience. We are willing to take the drive south to boats that go out of Oregon Inlet or Hatteras. Probably just looking at a half or 3/4 day trip. Any info on names of boats and what to expect to catch that time of year would be appreciated.

After labor day is my favorite time of year. Water is still warm for fishing. For a half day, i might take kids on a headboat from pirates cove or oregon inlet. 

Fished on Sea Toy out of Pirates Cove (Manteo) several times.  Captain Bull Tolson and Mate Cat will give you a terrific trip - push back at 5:00 am, back in slip at 5:00 pm.  I'd call right away, he might already be booked, that is a productive time to fish.  A buddy of mine regularly fishes on Obsession, he docks next to Bull, try him too. OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Dave588 said:

After labor day is my favorite time of year. Water is still warm for fishing. For a half day, i might take kids on a headboat from pirates cove or oregon inlet. 

Yup, I love it down there in September. College roommates family use to vacation down there in the late 70’s and he turned me on to it. Went every year from early 80’s till about 2007 when the kids started college. This will be the first time we are all back together. Kids are actually young adults now, so doesn’t have to be sound fishing. Everyone is super pumped to be back down together.

my daughter got this hat for my birthday this year. Our favorite place to eat.

7653D261-50EB-4880-B632-77E24E937DDC.jpeg

Edited by JMB

If you are going offshore and have a group I would strongly suggest that you consider a full day as the cost is not much more and the time spent getting to the gulf stream is the same either way. You get a lost more fishing for your $. 

I would check out the websites for Hatteras Harbor and Teaches Lair both in Hatteras village. Look at the past months fishing reports to see who is actually fishing rather than just bailing small mahi. Hatteras is closer to the GS than Oregon Inlet - more fishing less riding. 

Of course if he is staying in Duck there is an extra hour drive time to Hatteras vs. stopping at Pirates Cove.  You'd spend the extra hour driving a car or riding on a boat both ways - fishing time should be about the same.  Most time to fish would probably be to fish from the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center.  

? Assuming an 8 hour total trip, how does spending 4 hours riding in a boat to get to the fish equate to 2 hours riding in a boat to get tot he fish? One yields 4 hours fishing one yields 6. You are correct about the car ride time but IMO that is a trade off for the extra fishing time. Maybe I'm missing something. Is OI that much closer to the gulf stream? 

Depends on water temp and the boat you choose but in general your bigger fish will be off shore. Check the fishing reports to see. 

Offshore: billfish, wahoo, tuna, mahi 

Inshore: drum, trout, cobia, and a mix of smaller species 

7 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Depends on water temp and the boat you choose but in general your bigger fish will be off shore. Check the fishing reports to see. 

Offshore: billfish, wahoo, tuna, mahi 

Inshore: drum, trout, cobia, and a mix of smaller species 

:th:

From all the way up in Duck, Hatteras would be a looong haul- well over an hour.  I would look at Oregon Inlet.  If you want to go offshore, you'll more than likely be looking at full-day trip.  Like others have said- blackfin tuna, dolphin, occasional wahoo, and billfish in the summer.