Mountain fisher

Does anyone else still fish Vintage tackle?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Still break out my Mitchell 496 PUM / Kennedy Fisher XO8720 combo on occasion

Been a while since I fished my 706 Greenie / Fenwick Grizzly setup, should do something about that.

Be a fun fling - a vintage gear fling, nothing newer than 1979 !

Maybe this fall at Sandy Hook ??

Have a real soft spot for DAM Quick 331N and 441N's.  Especially the 441N.  With a few tweaks and it's a real gem that does yeoman's work.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A picture is worth a thousand words....

1. First 2 pictures very old (based on the handle) Luxor 300 which lives with a Fenwick SU1348 Honey Yellow Surf Rod (sorry, no pictures of rod - yet)
  2. Next 4 pictures of my 70's vintage Crack 300/Lami S-Glass SSB1362M Surf Rod Combo.

They're heavy by todays standards, but the parabolic action makes them still the best pencil rods ever built, with the Luxor/Crack line retrieve rate allowing the plug to "dance" almost on station.  I drilled and sealed the fliers, and hand-made a seal to fit under the flier.  In addition, I drilled out the Crack Spool (Luxor came drilled out), polished both spool lips, and packed the gear cases with Dow Corning #33 Low Temperature synthetic bearing grease, so these were ideal "I need my thermals" Surf Reels.  Today, with the miniature bass available in the surf late season, they mostly hang in the garage as reminders of fishing days I will likely never see again in my lifetime.

0809161730.jpg

0809161731a.jpg

0808161921.jpg

0808161922a.jpg

0808161923.jpg

0808161923b.jpg

Edited by FlatWing

I pull this old centerpin out every couple of years and give it a whirl.

Fishing current I usually flick out a small sluggo or small hook/bucktail with a couple of shot pinched near the hook.

When I first started work in 1966, I saved my pocket money that my Mother gave me for a few weeks to buy it.

These reels were manufactured by a company in Sheffield, England, went by the name of 'Speedia'.

DSCF0193.JPG

DSCF0194.JPG

Every once in a while on special occasions, I will take out one of my Grandfathers German Silver Ocean City's to chunk for Stripers. Ike Walton, Dover Club, and the original Ccean City. Drags work great, and they bring back wonderful memories. Hope my grandsons enjoy displaying them, and occasionally fishing them as much as I have. 

my go-to surf set ups are:
crack 300 on 12ft fenwick glass 
crack 300 on 10ft harnell glass
penn squidder on 11ft harnell glass
penn 980 on 10ft harnell glass
penn 550 on 8 ft honey lamiglas
i own no heavy surf equipment made before 1990 (the 980 is the newest i have)
the harnells are blanks from the 50s that my father used that have been re-wrapped several times as the guides failed over the years

I still fish all of my vintage spinfishers. 704z, 706 greenie, 714z, 716 greenie (gift from my grandfather) and just bought a 710z off ebait. I can't get enough of these workhorses.

I have a ton of squidders, jigmasters, and spinfishers. Some of the spinfishers (704, 706, AND 710) have been modernized like the one in my avatar. 

This year I started to use new stuff for the first time......slammer III 4500 absolutely love it..., and a daiwa fuego LT baitcaster (great for jigging on a tsunami slow pitch rod).

Edited by Sheisty

Honey Lami BT1083M built with modern components and guide layout. Wrapped in classic colors you would find on an old lami.

20190712_145403.jpg

20190712_145604.jpg

I have 2 Mitchell 300's, A Mitchell 410 ( High Speed version of Mitchell 300 )  an Mitchell 308 and a Mitchell 408 ( High Speed Version of Mitchell 308 )  All of them date back to the early 70's when they were made in France...   All of them are still currently used.   My Mitchell 308 resides on an ultralight 5 ft Lamiglas Graphite rod that I built from the blank up in the early 70's with Cork Rings and Fuji speed guides   I also have an old 7' Fiberglass Fenwick Lunkerstik that goes with one of my Mitchell 300 Reels which I have used to catch many 10-12# Bluefish   

The old 7' Fiberglass Fenwick Lunkerstik had tungsten carbide guides on it when I got it in the 70's ...   Re wrapped it with Fuji Speed Guides..  love it 

Edited by UncleJohn

On 7/8/2019 at 11:22 PM, Sudsy said:

Still break out my Mitchell 496 PUM / Kennedy Fisher XO8720 combo on occasion

Been a while since I fished my 706 Greenie / Fenwick Grizzly setup, should do something about that.

Be a fun fling - a vintage gear fling, nothing newer than 1979 !

Maybe this fall at Sandy Hook ??

This fall at the Hook? I'm game. I'll carry my late 60's Harnell 9 ftr with Silver series Daiwa 2600. I never leave home without them.