Mountain fisher

Does anyone else still fish Vintage tackle?

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Going over some older reels that I still own and wondered if anyone else likes to fish with older tackle just for it's own sake, at least occasionally. I come by this naturally as a long time fan of cane rods and single action reels. There is a Mitchell 302 in near new condition with a fiber disc drag upgrade, a DAM Quick 4000 with (gasp) an asbestos drag, and a Quick 550. In their day- say 50yrs ago- they were considered pretty good stuff and still work perfectly. I tried the Quicks last year on local stripers and was quite pleased, they're no Stradic but quite capable. What old stuff do you still use?

PS Some of the looks you get are priceless.

ABU Cardinal 3&4 spinning reels -  6500 and 7000 ABU casting reels I bought in 1980.

Fenwick HMG Graphite two spinning rods and one casting bought in 1980

Original Shimano Calcutta casting reels two 200 models a 400 and a 700 not sure when I bought them but it was the first year they built them.

Two St croix legend graphite casting rods the first year they come out

I worked in a high end tackle shop and was a sucker for top off the line tackle.  

I've caught fish up to about 30 pounds on my Mitchell 303s. Stopped using them recently because I don't care for bailless reels, but they still work great.

Old tackle is great. I have a box of old Mitchell, Penn and Daiwa stuff. It all works well and the newer stuff is about 25 years old. The oldest stuff I have; I don’t even know. 50 or 60 years old at least. The only bad thing I can say about older reels without lots of bearings is that they aren’t as fast or smooth as modern reels. But they sure are durable and easy to service. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mitchell 300 that couldn’t be fixed with a butter knife and a dab of grease. Let’s see a multi bearing wonder reel do that. 

Surfmaster 200 I custom built and painted earlier this year for my daughter's birthday and her first conventional for off the beach.  I did a penn#9 last year for her from the 70's that she uses as a back bay reel.

Most of our trolling stuff are 4/0 and 6/0 penn's from the 70's and 80's.

20190623_154708.jpg

20190623_133442.jpg

20190424_201848.jpg

It never occurred to me that plastic side plates could be painted. It looks pretty cool. What  kind of paint did you use?

34 mins ago, valentine said:

It never occurred to me that plastic side plates could be painted. It looks pretty cool. What  kind of paint did you use?

This one above was Testers I believe.  It's a metallic paint that changes color at different angles.  The #9 I used rustoleum glitter paint.  Both I top coated with etex epoxy.

20190408_170314.jpg

20190408_170334.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm gonna be 64 in August, I have always taken care of my equipment, I still have all my Penn 200's, 704 & 710Z's, 500's,  49, and Senators from 30 years ago along with the state of the art fiberglass rods of the time. I kept them in good condition and still use them to this day.

Having said that, about 12 years ago I met a local guy on a CT fishing BBS, he invited me out on his boat and 12 years later we fish together regularly. He's about 15 years younger than me and came to salt fishing later so all of his equipment is much newer than mine. At first I figured he out-fished me because he's younger, better reflexes, etc., I'm sure that has something to do with it. Lately I have started investing in modern reels and rods and have upgraded the drags in all my old Penns and Abus and Newells.

He still out-fishes me but I can no longer blame it on the equipment...new stuff is just so much better than older stuff, especially rods, the sensitivity and power of new rods is just incredible.

But I still drag out the old gear, especially for bottom fishing/trolling.

Edited by Recoil Rob

Fish haven't evolved much over the last 50 years, so I always figured that the same gear that beat them 50 years ago will beat them today.  I have a lot of Penn reels--112Hs, 113Hs, 500s, 49s, 155s, etc.--from the late 1960s and 1970s that are still running strong today.  Just need to change the drags from time to time.

Most of my offshore stuff--some Penn Sanators, mostly Internationals--date from the late 1980s, and still beat up sharks and tuna as well as they did when I bought them.

My green Penn spinning reels still work.

People talk about "vintage" gear and wonder if folks still fish it, but it will be interesting to see whether the "modern" stuff that they're putting out today is made tough enough to stand the test of time as well as the "vintage" gear has.

Lots of Penn stuff, 9Ms for inshore bottom fishing, senators and jigmasters for inshore gamefish and a bunch of internationals from the 90s.

I still use my large Luxors and Crack 300's--I Van Staaled my green 706's and 704's and use them--I use a small Luxor for snapper fishing--they all work great and have stood the test of time--keep it reel--rreelman

Makes me wish I never traded a never used still in the box 1939 Long  Beach , still had the dacron line on it with the wrench and grease tube. 

I used a 704 greenie packed with grease for the longest before I got tired of degreasing and greasing after every other trip. I finally invested in a zeebass and the greenie is now my back up. I still fish a 2nd gen penn 420ss and use it as an ultralight reel for trout. this reel is bulletproof

I still fish my Garcia Mitchell 308 and 408 reels along with my fenwick glass rods that was made in the early 70's , and still have my lamiglas  11' honey rod for stripers. still enjoy the action