Black Hole Striped Bass Special surf rods arrived

Rate this topic

ksong

8 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Ksong

I am probably looking between east coast and striper special.  What pairs well with a gosa  6000.    I as well mostly surf with plugs and metal In nj for stripers and blues.  Have a few 10 footers never went bigger.  Not sure if 11 will be too big.   I am guessing 1 to 6 oz should be fine as that is what I throw now.  I dont like alot of weight in my hands if I am plugging all day.  I am afraid the 2 to 8 might be too heavy.  Will you be in nj soon or where can I see them in nj. 

Bacci,

I was casting my 10' 3/4-4 Striped Bass Special with Gosa 6000 last night in the bay (current) and open beach. I stopped using 11' rods and don't need to go back. 6000 feels perfect on the 10. From SP Minnow to SS Bottles - all launched. It can certainly handle more than the SS Bottle.  6 oz? Not sure. This is a really great combo. Has enough backbone for any Striper or Blue in current, but still feel smaller fish. For schoolies, calm water or finesse fishing light stuff, I will grab a lighter setup just for more feel and action because I can (and enjoy fishing other setups). Overall, I am Impressed.

1 hour ago, Mbrody said:

Bacci,

I was casting my 10' 3/4-4 Striped Bass Special with Gosa 6000 last night in the bay (current) and open beach. I stopped using 11' rods and don't need to go back. 6000 feels perfect on the 10. From SP Minnow to SS Bottles - all launched. It can certainly handle more than the SS Bottle.  6 oz? Not sure. This is a really great combo. Has enough backbone for any Striper or Blue in current, but still feel smaller fish. For schoolies, calm water or finesse fishing light stuff, I will grab a lighter setup just for more feel and action because I can (and enjoy fishing other setups). Overall, I am Impressed.

Awesome thanks.  Do you think there is a big  casting range difference between the ten and 11 foot rods.  The only reason I am thinking the 11 is to get out a little further.   I usually cast 30 lb firewire.

I'll BE PULLING ON MY ROD - TILL THEY LAY ME IN SOD!!!!!

I don't think that there is a big difference, but if you are concerned with Distance as your #1 priority, get the 11 and you will at least not have to think about it?

I prefer more manageable size of the 10. I don't have a distance problem with the 10'  and this rod is a rocket, especially with the Gosa and 30lb line. It will smoke my other brand 10' rod with a ZB - but that is my finesse rod where I get into the water...

I am just not in to 11' rods anymore...

4 hours ago, Chadmckay said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to test and fish with the 3/4-4 and 1-6 11' Striper special.Most of the time I was throwing 2-4oz plugs and jigs for Tarpon. Both of them absolutely launch in the middle range, 2-3 oz. with the 3/4-4, I threw a big 4 oz popper and I could feel the entire rod load up, which was a strange feeling, but it also launched it. It would be difficult for me to say if the 1-6oz actually threw it farther without taking it to a field to test, but both handle the top range of their ratings really well. On the bottom range, you are mostly using the tip to flick the lighter weights out. What I have found is that an 11' rod throwing a 1 oz cuda tube is still better than a 7.5' medium light rod throwing a cuda tube. So the bottom range definitely doesn't load up as much as a lighter action rod, but but it definitely gets the job done. 

for the poster throwing the SP minnows, I would go with the lighter end of the spectrum. That is my personal preference fighting the fish actually, as I like a little more action on average fish, and when fighting a tarpon the 1-6 has so much backbone it feels like fighting an average fish. When fighting a small fish it's over before it started. 

How big are those tarpon that feel like an “average” fish on the 1-6 oz rod? 

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

Just got my 11ft 3/4-4oz! Thanks Ksong.

20190716_103414.jpg.f6ac8e73c530084ec5edbeef4365a9c2.jpg20190716_112442.jpg.10e91d34e046fff5bae0bbbd23b0098b.jpg

"Long range" - CTS Vapor Trail 12ft 2-6oz, Shimano Stradic FL 5000, Powerpro Super Slick 8x V2 15lb.

"Light duty" - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, Shimano Stradic CI4+ 4000, Florida Distance Premium 15lb braid

"Super duty" Blackhole Striped Bass Special 11ft 3/4-4oz, VS VR50

2 mins ago, ksong said:

You are welcome. :)

What do you target with the rod in Texas ?

I am thinking about going to Port Aransas for redfish from the shore.

I mainly chase big striped bass around the massive dams here in TX and Oklahoma.

"Long range" - CTS Vapor Trail 12ft 2-6oz, Shimano Stradic FL 5000, Powerpro Super Slick 8x V2 15lb.

"Light duty" - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, Shimano Stradic CI4+ 4000, Florida Distance Premium 15lb braid

Thanks, Chadmckay. I guess I should've listened to Kil and gone with the 3/4 - 4 oz rod instead of the 1-6 oz. model. Oh welllllllll.... rod's already on the way. 

Stripedbasstardz, how does your rod feel? What reel are you putting on it and how does it balance? 

(*member previously known as 'SoCalStripers')

31 mins ago, SoCalStripers said:

Thanks, Chadmckay. I guess I should've listened to Kil and gone with the 3/4 - 4 oz rod instead of the 1-6 oz. model. Oh welllllllll.... rod's already on the way. 

Stripedbasstardz, how does your rod feel? What reel are you putting on it and how does it balance? 

I haven't fish it yet but the combo felt pretty nice! My reel is the VR50 and total setup comes out at 20.8oz. The reel seat holds the VR50 in nice and tight with zero movement. Below pic is the balance point. 20190716_104820.jpg.a902d6008843230c0f1de8dc575259e6.jpg

Edited by StripedBasstardz

40 mins ago, SoCalStripers said:

To be fair, my black hole blows my other rods away and I use it all the time anyways. Now they just need to start making a 7’ medium fast bass rod...Kil?