bob_G

Canal scup

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Just an FYI for anyone interested. The canal has some really nice scup at the moment. Ive been observing folks catching 1.5-2 pounders, often 2 at a time. The last couple hours of the incoming seem to be best.

I don't fish the canal, but I think there is a scup on every rock between NY and the Canadian border. Couldn't get away from them last week.

47 mins ago, yemista said:

I wish I caught more scup. Maybe Ill buy some chainmail and try my hand at the canal

I assume,e you do not have a boat? If you really want to catch scup (and sea bass) take a ride on the "Bounty Hunter" out of Fall River. He (Eric) does limited load trips where just about everyone on board limits out. 

16 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Just great! Nice spot burn

Now it's going to be elbow to elbow scup fishermen at the canal.     :D

Scup bite is on

AFB3610B-E9D1-475E-9F42-FDE4AD65C21C.jpeg

22 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I don't fish the canal, but I think there is a scup on every rock between NY and the Canadian border. Couldn't get away from them last week.

I've heard of Scup around Boston, but I've never seen them.  Once you get north of the Cape, they are rare.

I find sea robins, fluke, tog and BSB, but can't find a scup...but I don't fish bait much either.

There is a learning curve with catching scup at the canal when you're fishing in the current. Guys would use 5oz sinkers on a high low rig and cast upstream letting it drift while ticking the bottom and repeat.The hardest part is differentiating between the a bite or the bottom on every thump but once you get it down you can really slay them. 

Many moons ago one summer had them big too. We were at a far walking location and slaying them doesn't matter what we do. We even have to pick out the big guns and toss back some 15"er (consider small)....

Finally my friend and I had our limit.... 50 scups. IT was maybe 40lbs total....or more with all our gears walking back to our car about 1 mile away. 

Since then we have not target scup ever ever again.

3 hours ago, Dah seee said:

There is a learning curve with catching scup at the canal when you're fishing in the current. Guys would use 5oz sinkers on a high low rig and cast upstream letting it drift while ticking the bottom and repeat.The hardest part is differentiating between the a bite or the bottom on every thump but once you get it down you can really slay them. 

Use like 1/0 circle hooks and don't try to set the hook.

Had to be 40 years ago if it was a day, but I caught the biggest scup of my life bouncing worms at Bell Rd, under the first ligh west of the bridge. I gave it to a woman fishing with her daughter. 

I won the yearly scup youth prize from the canal. I used to go with my trout rod and 8lb test when I was like 10 years old and crack open periwinkle to use as bait. I would catch them up to almost 3lbs very regularly 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:51 AM, Gotcow? said:

Just great! Nice spot burn

Now it's going to be elbow to elbow scup fishermen at the canal.     :D

And there was plenty of room but people stood elbow to elbow. Fun watching them tangle up.