Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sauerkraut

LOWRANCE INC. HOOK 9 GPS/SONAR

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Until this Hook 9 purchase, I have been a decades long user of Lowrance products.  And I have grown comfortable with their programming format.

But this Hook 9 is just awful:

1.  There is NO backlighting of the pads.  I do a lot of night boating, and shining a flashlight on the unit to find a button just sucks.

2.  The device is slow as molasses responding to a simple change of screen function, or screen size (Such as Zin and Zout)

3.  It seems Lowrance, on this unit cheaped out by eliminating 2 buttons from the controls-- specifically an EXIT button, and a WPT (Waypoint) button.  Now, instead:  You have to go "searching" for these functions in scroll down choices, specific to each different function you are in.

None of these above deficits are at play in their older HDS units.  Yeah, I bought this Hook 9 kinda sight unseen, trusting in the Lowrance tradition, and screwed myself in the process.  

I understand your frustration with the speed, backlighting and (if you have the original Hook 9) lack of specific exit and waypoint function buttons.  The Hook2 9" has an exit (X button) and waypoint button (long press the button right below the X button).  If it's an original Hook 9, using the Enter key while on the map screen will initiate the waypoint process, instead of the slower process of going through Menu, New Waypoint, etc...

But comparing a Hook - original or Hook 2 - to an HDS unit is an apples to oranges comparison.  The HDS is Lowrance's top of the line, whereas the Hook units are their entry level offerings.   While I sympathize with your frustrations, and certainly don't mean to downplay the importance of your complaints, the Hook simply wasn't designed to be as fast, or have as many features as, any of the HDS lineup.  It was designed as an entry level unit, and the 9" is a compromise between value pricing and larger screen size.  A step up from the Hook / Hook2 series would be the Elite Ti / Ti2, which is Lowrance's mid-range offering.  Although more expensive than the Hook, it will give you better performance (and a touch screen), without spending as much as the HDS series price.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know.

All the best,

Glenn

9 hours ago, cajuntec said:

I understand your frustration with the speed, backlighting and (if you have the original Hook 9) lack of specific exit and waypoint function buttons.  The Hook2 9" has an exit (X button) and waypoint button (long press the button right below the X button).  If it's an original Hook 9, using the Enter key while on the map screen will initiate the waypoint process, instead of the slower process of going through Menu, New Waypoint, etc...

But comparing a Hook - original or Hook 2 - to an HDS unit is an apples to oranges comparison.  The HDS is Lowrance's top of the line, whereas the Hook units are their entry level offerings.   While I sympathize with your frustrations, and certainly don't mean to downplay the importance of your complaints, the Hook simply wasn't designed to be as fast, or have as many features as, any of the HDS lineup.  It was designed as an entry level unit, and the 9" is a compromise between value pricing and larger screen size.  A step up from the Hook / Hook2 series would be the Elite Ti / Ti2, which is Lowrance's mid-range offering.  Although more expensive than the Hook, it will give you better performance (and a touch screen), without spending as much as the HDS series price.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know.

All the best,

Glenn

What he said.