fishtheeast

Sea Ducks from the Beach

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

@oldgoat Thanks, will gallon milk jugs work? I will probably make jerky with the meat but the stew sounds good. 

You’re not going to want to make jerky out of it. It’s too strong to eat alone. Much better to hide it in a stew or mix it with pork/venison for sausage.

The cheapest/best decoys are lobster buoys. Scan the beaches and pick them up. Paint them white/black and you’ll be good to go. If you want to get real fancy, you can cut them in half lengthwise and add heads made from 1” pine and keels. 

Edited by JTR

I also did the seaduck hunt to Eiders many years back. Once was enough.  Bag limits are generous at 7 per person but that limit was met 10 minutes into the hunt. 

I agree with the others that the meat was way too strong to make anything out of it.  Very stringy, shoe leathery tough, livery with a very heavy 'low tide' flavor.  We tried par boiling it to remove any of the flavors but couldn't get past it.

Let them fly free.  It's not worth it. 

36 mins ago, JTR said:

You’re not going to want to make jerky out of it. It’s too strong to eat alone. Much better to hide it in a stew or mix it with pork/venison for sausage.

The cheapest/best decoys are lobster buoys. Scan the beaches and pick them up. Paint them white/black and you’ll be good to go. If you want to get real fancy, you can cut them in half lengthwise and add heads made from 1” pine and keels. 

32 mins ago, PJ said:

I also did the seaduck hunt to Eiders many years back. Once was enough.  Bag limits are generous at 7 per person but that limit was met 10 minutes into the hunt. 

I agree with the others that the meat was way too strong to make anything out of it.  Very stringy, shoe leathery tough, livery with a very heavy 'low tide' flavor.  We tried par boiling it to remove any of the flavors but couldn't get past it.

Let them fly free.  It's not worth it. 

Always a million lobster buoys at yard sales too. 

That bad huh? I am even more intrigued now. 

I guess people enjoy the pursuit and hunt so much that the taste doesn’t bother them, seems like a very popular activity still. 

Thanks for the input guys! 

On 7/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, fishtheeast said:

Always a million lobster buoys at yard sales too. 

That bad huh? I am even more intrigued now. 

I guess people enjoy the pursuit and hunt so much that the taste doesn’t bother them, seems like a very popular activity still. 

Thanks for the input guys! 

Sadly, I think a lot of sea ducks that are hunted are wasted.

3 mins ago, JTR said:

Sadly, I think a lot of sea ducks that are hunted are wasted.

That is unfortunate. 

Thanks for the info and help on this thread guys! 

If anyone ever needs company on a duck or sea duck hunt I would love to tag along or vice versa. I am going be hunting solo and would welcome anyone to join me!