fishtheeast

Sea Ducks from the Beach

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

This is very random considering it is not duck hunting season but I am new to duck hunting and am curious if people hunt sea ducks from shore on the cape or south shore, or if your only shot at them would be in open water via boat. 

I was thinking it might be possible to set up some decoys via kayak and then sit up on a jetty or even a layout blind on the beach and then retrieve them with the kayak. Kind of along the lines of swimming out to a rock to fish but instead I would kayak out to get on a rock to duck hunt?

I want to get into sea duck hunting but I don’t have a boat nor do I want one. I want to stick to the yak. 

I may be totally wrong so I apologize, any info, help or thoughts on this is much appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Totally legal as long as the town bylaws allow it and you are within the legal limits according to the law. There are a ton of places that are on the south coast that guys I know hunt. When I am in my stand for deer season I can always tell when duck season opens by all the gunshots that go off on the coast

It’s totally possible. They often come quite close to shore to feed. Do some scouting and see what beach stretches they tend to frequent. Just be careful out there. The water during sea duck season is cold and often rough. 

10 mins ago, Timmytuna said:

I used to hunt sea ducks from shore years ago totally doable. Just a heads up though most sea ducks smell and taste awful.

I’ve never found that they smell awful. Eiders are probably the worst eating bird of the sea ducks. I’ve made plenty of stews with scoters and they came out great. Just cut them into smaller pieces and throw them into a crock pot stew.

Is it possible?  Absolutely however I have done a lot of sea duck hunting with guides and always wanted to do it on my own with the same idea. The concern I had was what do I do when I have to chase a crippled?  Can I fight the current and try to get within range to finish it off?  For me I don’t think it’s realistic. I’m sure some guys do it with no issues. Sea ducks are tough which is why it’s one of favorite things to do. Because of that I did a lot of scouting over the winter and found a lot of great places that are well protected for my 16’ tin. Some of these areas you could even use a yak They are that protected but eventually you will have to take chase. This will be my first year doing it on my own and am super excited. Just ordered a bunch of eider and scoter decoys that were on sale along with a bunch of other stuff. Another thing to consider if you haven’t already is hunting R.I.  Sunday hunting is allowed!

Thanks guys! 

Safety is always the top priority so I won’t be taking any risks when it gets rough. 

I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it regarding taste/eating them, but first I have to break the ice and get my first! They will not go to waste. 

Does anyone recommend or know of a good taxidermist in MA? I would probably mount my first scoter or eider. 

10 hours ago, SageBoy said:

Is it possible?  Absolutely however I have done a lot of sea duck hunting with guides and always wanted to do it on my own with the same idea. The concern I had was what do I do when I have to chase a crippled?  Can I fight the current and try to get within range to finish it off?  For me I don’t think it’s realistic. I’m sure some guys do it with no issues. Sea ducks are tough which is why it’s one of favorite things to do. Because of that I did a lot of scouting over the winter and found a lot of great places that are well protected for my 16’ tin. Some of these areas you could even use a yak They are that protected but eventually you will have to take chase. This will be my first year doing it on my own and am super excited. Just ordered a bunch of eider and scoter decoys that were on sale along with a bunch of other stuff. Another thing to consider if you haven’t already is hunting R.I.  Sunday hunting is allowed!

I guess a semi-auto and 3.5 inch shells are a must for quick follow up shots and knock down power. My kayak is a hobie pro angler 14 so it can take some chop but still that’s a great point about the cripples. Maybe it would be worth to invest in a 15-18ft aluminum Lund or something. 

Thanks for for the input and good luck this year 

you can walk out pretty far toward the targwt ship following the tide managed to get a few that ways.  Just remember a compass in case of fog

5 mins ago, Thom T said:

you can walk out pretty far toward the targwt ship following the tide managed to get a few that ways.  Just remember a compass in case of fog

Thanks for the tip! The Flats seem like a great way to really get out there. I fish out there a lot at night and a few times had to use a compass to find my way back in. 

PFD then think safety first.

I've done it boat and shore. From shore find a point or river ,bay entrance flyway for pas shooting.

Run a bunch of half gallon bleach bottles on a line half painted black for your deeks.

Don't ever try to eat a merganser. sea duck just rip off the feathers and filet the breast meat,pick off the white fat and toss the rest.Dice up the meat for yer stew and some folks add a pint of whisky to the stew.I think that's the only reason they eat it. good luck

If your in a tin boat in the bay what I've done is in summer get yourself 18' of chicken wire fencing and weave grass through the holes to form a blind for your boat. Takes time but worth it.

I made 2 sets of eider sleds this past winter.  8 sleds per set, 2 silhouettes per sled.    Never hunted sea ducks before.  Also hoping to try it out this year. I have a 16' tin boat, but I'm on the NS of MA.  Not very protected where I am.  Even the thought of going out in the 16 foot aluminum makes me nervous that time of year.