Cjcast

Learning to flyfish

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Without going into too much detail .....

• Do connect / research your new endeavor ... with Rhody Fly Rodders (per Capt. Castafly).
  • Get a stripping basket (home made is just fine). Linekurv is that much better.
  • Your SWE flies are a very good start... tons more of that kind of stuff at Bears' Den in Tauton, MA.
  • Get "Longer Fly Casting" by the Legendary Lefty Kreh (a to the point, well illustrated "how to book").
  • Learn a few key knots ... knot books abound (Albright, Non Slip Loop, Surgeons' knot, etc.).
  • Since you're in Rhody ... get & read "Striper Moon" by Kenny Abrames along with "Stripers & Streamers" by Ray Bondorew.
  • Cruise Youtube for more & short "How to" instruction.
  • Find & Fish tidal pond outflows (which are all over the place along the RI shores) ... like Mill Gut.
  • Get some good waders, foot wear for the rocks (Korkers Sandals) .. and get out there and fish.

Good Luck with your Fly fishing ... all it takes is a few hook ups to be hooked. And before I forget ... wear eye protection (sun glasses and / or safety glasses).

5d232e3b2e9f9_StriperGLX10ft6wt..jpg.50d5e7865fa0fd2fc449d75877fae3ad.jpg

Anyone have recommendations on private or small group lessons?  I see that bean and orvis have some but was hoping for a suggestion on some local guides that could teach me the basics over a lesson or two.  I see a couple of sites like http://www.rischoolofflyfishing.com/ but didnt know if anyone had any experience with them or recommendations on others.  Im a complete novice with a saltwater setup looking to hopefully tackle some false albies soon.  Appreciate any direction you can give on lessons and appreciate the advice already given.

Happy to say, G7 improved his fly casting stroke, timing, and mechanics. 

He now has enough distance to at least hook a fish and have some probability to catch and enjoy this sport.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Dirty Walter said:

I’d say sell it and buy a regular friggin fishing pole. Why bother with that nonsense. Waste of time. 

He's already done the no-nonsense regular friggin fishing pole thing.

He tell me he's always fished with live eels and chucked plenty of wood, more wood than a woodpecker can chew in a lifetime. 

Now he want a more skill oriented experience to already go with his surf/rock hopping background. 

Edited by Capt.Castafly

What Southcoast said.  I think the difficulty of FF can be over stated. Keep it simple.   Add complexity as you go.  

I’d use intermediate or floating line.   Stick with a few basic flies.   Clouser.    Lefty’s deceiver.    One or two sand eel imitations.   Small epoxy for rain bait.    These are easy to cast and will cover most of your needs.   Maybe a big fly and peanut imitation too.     But Clouser and deceiver will almost always catch fish.   

Sinking lines are fine but tough to cast. You’ll have more fun with floating and intermediate.   Start with floating.   

Fish in salt ponds, bays or boats.   Avoid surf unless very calm.   Fishing surf is much tougher.   

Leader.  Use 30.  20.  10 lb flourocarbon.   Roughly 3 feet each.    This will cover most situations.     

Practice on grass with leader but no fly.   Keep cast short on water and grass until you build skill and confidence.  

Stripping basket very helpful.    Easy DIY project.    

On 8/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, Dirty Walter said:

I’d say sell it and buy a regular friggin fishing pole. Why bother with that nonsense. Waste of time. 

Each his own.   I do both.   Depends on the fish, weather and my mood.   But there is something special about a fish caught on a fly rod.   

In Westerly area Watch Hill outfitters has flies and materials.    No idea about casting clinics.    Fished with Ray and ditto what the others said.