Learning to flyfish

Rate this topic

Cjcast

I am trying to start fly fishing, I bought a rod and reel a few years back but never ended up trying it.  Just wondering what people think is the best way to learn? Should I take classes, if so any recommendations in the Rhode Island area.  If not any could anyone suggest a spot that would be good to fish for a beginner?  Any other tips for getting started?  I do a little fishing, but I do not know much about fishing in general, so I am kind of starting from scratch. 

Thanks for any help.

Starting from scratch I'd recommend some sound guidance .In your case you have no preconceived notions which is good  no bad habits to fix .I'm sorry I cant point you in the right direction . I'm sure there's someone around here that can help. Btw fly fishing can be addictive ,

A few things to consider...

• join a local chapter of Trout Unlimited. Most are very welcoming of new members and you’ll learn from them, as well as where to go
  • practice in a field ... remember, you’re casting the line, not the fly, so you don’t need a hook to practice
  • practice at a pond without any overhang or brush... catching blue gill or sunnies is fun when just starting out and gives you a sense of accomplishment. 
  • Watch YouTube ... tons of great vids. Orvis has a lot since they need more people buying more gear

good luck... in RH, you’ll want to eventually get a heavier rod and get a sand eel and a clouser flies to go after schoolies...particularly if you live near a breachway where they follow the baitfish in. Go right before sunrise.

What Zobil (and others) said.  Need a little more info.  Did you buy a floating or sinking fly line.  Makes a big difference when first learning to cast a fly rod.  Learning using a sinking line is way more difficult than learning using a floating line.

Also, always pause a split second on the back cast to allow the fly line to straighten out before doing your power cast forward.  Rod moves back&forth from 10:00 to 2:00 on the face of a clock when making false casts and on the power cast.  Start with fishing poppers for bluegills.  There's a long learning curve when learning how to cast a fly line.

The first casualty of War, Politics, and now Covid is the truth.

Ok, you've got your salt rig... you'll want special leaders when blues are around. 

Depending on the maker,  9wts can be incredibly different,  more so,  in my opinion,  the heavier the rod the differences can be magnified.  I have a Hardy that I think was meant to reel in Jaws.  The thing is a beast. 

For salt, you'll want to try to become proficient in the "double- haul " in order to get distance.  Better to search than my trying to explain.  

HJS is correct. Need a bunch more info.  In general,  you're better off with line that sinks fast... always,  even in fresh, way more fish below than top feeding. 

... and, get out there! 

I have 2 spools, one is definitely a floating line, and the other is either an intermediate or sinking.  I'm not 100% sure, I had them spooled when I bought them.  Should I use the floating line to learn?

I have watched a few videos on double hauling.  Will definitely be trying to practice it. 

Edited by Cjcast

Rhody Fly Rodders is the oldest saltwater fly fishing club in the nation, some 56 years now.

If you look back in the history of saltwater fly fishing, many of us pioneered the flies, techniques, equipment.  

We have open fishing nights during the summer. Anyone can come. Open to the public. I'd recommend you going to one of these open fishing nights. Bring your waders, equipment. They will give you advise and knowledge.

You're in luck... July 11th Rhody meets at Narrow River parking area at the Sprague Bridge off Route 1A.

Be there at 5:00pm or any time after.

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

5 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Rhody Fly Rodders is the oldest saltwater fly fishing club in the nation, some 56 years now.

If you look back in the history of saltwater fly fishing, many of us pioneered the flies, techniques, equipment.  

We have open fishing nights during the summer. Anyone can come. Open to the public. I'd recommend you going to one of these open fishing nights. Bring your waders, equipment. They will give you advise and knowledge.

You're in luck... July 11th Rhody meets at Narrow River parking area at the Sprague Bridge off Route 1A.

Be there at 5:00pm or any time after.

Thanks, I should be free that day so I will try to make it.  These are the flies I bought when I bought the rod, will they work, or should I pick something else up?  I have only gone to Saltwaters Edge, would you recommend somewhere else? 

20190707_162046.jpg

Do you have a stripping basket?  You'll want one to keep line from going all over.  Some people make their own. Focus on sink tip lines for now,  IMHO. Don't forget to wash your stuff down after every use. Go before sunrise. Looks like a sand eel pattern the tube-like fly which is good and a Deceiver with the dark top. Clouser Minnow is very popular ... search that. 

Definitely go hang out with Capt Castafly.... I'm sure you'll learn a ton. 

Get out there! 

53 mins ago, Zobi1 said:

Do you have a stripping basket?  You'll want one to keep line from going all over.  Some people make their own. Focus on sink tip lines for now,  IMHO. Don't forget to wash your stuff down after every use. Go before sunrise. Looks like a sand eel pattern the tube-like fly which is good and a Deceiver with the dark top. Clouser Minnow is very popular ... search that. 

Definitely go hang out with Capt Castafly.... I'm sure you'll learn a ton. 

Get out there! 

Yes, I have a stripping basket.  I will take a look at Clouser Minnows.  Thanks for the suggestions. 

Do you have a titanium stripping basket (preferably customized for right- or left-hand retrieves)?

How about anti-gravity fly lines?  No less than floating, intermediate and fast-sinking will suffice on day one.  Before day two, you'll obviously require at least three shooting-head line setups, which means that you'll have to buy at least one more spool.  (Well, and a running line, plus the three shooting heads.  Couple hundred $$, max.)

Given the crowds at some spots, you shouldn't even *think* about going anywhere near the water without the latest (military spec is best) ultra light weight woven Kevlar fly vest, simply for the sake of safety.  (Mil spec, of course, offers the option of body-cooling, which only adds three pounds to the weight of the vest.  DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!  If you do, you'll be reduced to drinking water from a plastic bottle and/or cooling off in the ocean.  Do you want your grandchildren talking about you that way in 20 years?  Right.  I didn't think so.)

Flies?  HAH!  If you don't have at least a hundred in your (custom *and* engraved) titanium fly boxes, you should reconsider if you really want to even try this.  

Good freakin Lord, guys.  Could ya make it any more intimidating for this new guy?

Forget all of the gear-baloney and just show up at an event (like the Rhody Fly Rodders one that was mentioned above, or any TU event, or any RISSA event).  You'll meet dozens of savvy guys who will be more than happy to help you in so many ways, including casting, fly selection and, most importantly, how to fish.  

Chances are that you'll learn that you can fly-fish quite effectively with exactly what you already own.

Just my $0.02.

YMMV

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher