bennie

Abercrombie & Fitch

14 posts in this topic

Didn't know they were in the sporting goods business,,,,,:laugh: same as the zebco 870,,,,if you have any of this stuff around it's $,,,,,,,,,,:)

20190706_175804.jpg

20190706_175819.jpg

20190706_175905.jpg

20190706_185746.jpg

20190706_175839.jpg

Yup, before the mall slag they were an outfitter company. It used to be a common myth that Hemmingway killed himself with a shotgun purchased from A&F but this has been questioned.

Some collectibility, however unless it’s mint, last time I checked less than $100. Abercrombie Fitch at one time offered only the finest hunting, fishing, camping equipment, outfitting the famous and many presidents. Sometime around the 70’s what they offered dropped in quality until they finally closed. I believe the name was bought at some point for the clothing company of today.

18 mins ago, Chicaneries said:

Some collectibility, however unless it’s mint, last time I checked less than $100. Abercrombie Fitch at one time offered only the finest hunting, fishing, camping equipment, outfitting the famous and many presidents. Sometime around the 70’s what they offered dropped in quality until they finally closed. I believe the name was bought at some point for the clothing company of today.

Thanks man,,,,I got this 1 for $36 and the restoration will be fun,,,,:laugh: I would like to fish it someday,,,,,,,:)

Posted (edited) · Report post

33 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

Yup, before the mall slag they were an outfitter company. It used to be a common myth that Hemmingway killed himself with a shotgun purchased from A&F but this has been questioned.

That's some great information,,,,25 years ago my layer did the same thing but I think his partner did it,,,,,,:worms: when he found what his partner was doing,,,,,,,:beatin:

Edited by bennie

57 mins ago, Slowwwride said:

Can't wait to see the restoration and finished product. Dig old reels

This was my last restoration got this rod on pbay for $7.99 a older local rod repairman $68 did it and put a bridge city on it  for $38 and uncle sal service the reel with carbon fiber drag washers,,,,,,,:)

20190605_183049.jpg

20190619_215109.jpg

20190621_223629.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I remember the store A&F had on Madison Ave and 45th street in Manhattan many moons ago. That's a nice old reel ya got there. That might be a Langley made reel for A&F. Langley was before Zebco.:howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

When I was interested in hunting, my father took me up to the gun department at Abercrombie & Fitch on Madison ave. I had just read" Hunter," a book about a Scot that moved to Kenya to make his mark as a yes hunter. He frequently used a Holland & Holland double barreled rifle, and the salesman at A&F took one out of the display case to let me handle it. A fond memory that  you tapped into. Good luck with the restoration 

My mom took me to A and F when I was 10 years old to watch a fly fishing demonstration by Lee Wulff. There was a long pool on an upper floor that he was effortlessly casting into.....memories indeed.

According to Ben Wright's Reel Reference Guide that reel was manufactured from the late 50's.. Similar to the Zebco 860 Surflite. Mint shape $75 when his book was published in 2011. Judging by the photos you would be lucky to get $10. Sorry for the report just a parts reel for someone who needs it.......

Kim

I've got this Jiffy Blood Knot Tyer in an Abercrombie & Fitch labeled pill bottle

5d2e99ce24429_JiffyBloodKnotTyerphoto.jpg.7491dffb7297c1eb96e24ec8adcc170d.jpg

Was at a fellas home years back lookin' at his Winchester collection. He proceeds to tell us about the "Original Henry Lever Action Rifle" he purchased from A&F in New York.... NIB, fully engraved including the Bbl., 24K Gold Plated, never fired.....we sat there rolling our eyes...in the next breath he got up, went to the safe and said, "You can look, but don't touch"....he brought out the most magnificent original Henry I've ever seen, new in the original box, wraped in original paper...we were shocked...beats anything I've ever seen, including the one's in the old Winchester Museum in New Haven Ct in the Cody Collection......it was un real, had to be worth a hundred grand at least......yes, A&F was into guns.