cityevader

Help ID vintage rods and reels' "usefulness"

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

These rods/reels belonged to my grandfather and my dad just gave them to me. 

(77" and 71" rod lengths) 

I'm mostly curious about the heritage of the rods. Being wooden, i wonder... 

The tiny 1.5" reel with slender rod appears to be a "stream/trout" setup. What's with two "guides" being U-shaped? 

What about the double-diameter reel? It's wooden rod doesn't seem stout enough for boat fishing (as the 3" spool suggests to me). 

With a quick search of the reels, it seems they aren't "valuable"... but are they "useful"? 

Should the rods be "conserved" (i don't know the proper word) to make them fully useable, or should I merely hang them on the wall as-is? (modern stuff i can beat on, worry-free while fishing)

20190706_153044.jpg

20190706_153218.jpg

20190706_153256.jpg

20190706_153430.jpg

20190706_181104.jpg

20190706_174749.jpg

20190706_152350.jpg

20190706_152409.jpg

20190706_152431.jpg

20190706_152631.jpg

20190706_152655.jpg

20190706_152918.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

the top reel is a desirable reel from years ago.

the second is a Mitchell and some love them,I never did.

but anyway,don't throw them away,clean them up and you could display them or put them away or if they are in working order they can be fished.

they both are desired by collectors.

the short boat rod I am not sure about although it is an antique.

the second small rod is a freshwater or maybe snapper rod.

I would have the reels cleaned/greased and save them.

rods,give them a good warm,soapy water wash with a cloth to clean them up.

some swear by both of these reels.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

The fiberglass rod with turned wooden handles and Pezon michel reel date from the 50's and are probably intended for light salt use. Still usable, although venerable. The 308 Mitchell is a nice little ultra light freshwater outfit suitable for smaller fish although I have caught stripers to 10 pounds or so on one (not intentionally). Both need a clean up and a little love. The rod needs guide replacement rather desperately, they are only "U" shaped because the ring of the guide is gone..

I have both of these reels and the Mitchells still see regular service, I have 5 308s & 408s. I would probably wall hang the Pezon outfit after a really good cleaning. Nice mid century tackle.    

Those old Luxors are priceless.  I had two of them as a kid. Amazing workhorses. The drag was shaky at best, but the reel was indestructible. 

I was 17 years old, and wanted to replace mine with the new high speed Mitchell 498. My dad made me sell both before I could replace them. Sold both for $14. That was 49 years ago, and I'm still infuriated about it today. :mad: I really wanted to keep those reels.

You know the more I look at that rod with the Luxor the more I think it was broken at some point and repaired with just a tip because it only has three large guides and it’s short for that size  reel  ....the other rod has 5 guides that go down in size cone of flight... the hardware on the brown rod is super cool though :) 

The Luxor, as folks have noted, was a very well-regarded "first generation" surf spinning reel.

The Mitchell 308, if you can clean it up, is still a very usable reel, primarily for light fresh water.  It's also old enough that some folks might want it as a collector.  If you look at the drag knob, you'll notice that it has four small "fins" (or whatever you want to call them) that you grasp to tighten or loosen the knob.  That means that the reel is one of the better-quality Mitchells of relatively early production; later, when Mitchell began to target the mass market/discount outlets, the quality went down; at that point, instead of the four smaller fins, the drag knob featered three, larger ones.  That's true not only of the 308, but of the entire Mitchell line.

On 7/7/2019 at 2:57 PM, charles s said:

You know the more I look at that rod with the Luxor the more I think it was broken at some point and repaired with just a tip because it only has three large guides and it’s short for that size  reel  ....the other rod has 5 guides that go down in size cone of flight... the hardware on the brown rod is super cool though :) 

Y'know what? Being such a noob, i couldn't nail down my misgivings of this setup. The rod is SO stiff and the reel SO big that i knee-jerk thought it was a boating setup. 

If the taper continued another couple couple of feet to an imaginary new tip, it just might be a surf casting rod. 

Methinks it'll just hang on the wall, and lament silently to itself, to be used. 

Now onto the li'l 308 setup... Would it survive saltwater use? I'm thinking uber-light surf Perch gear. 

20 mins ago, cityevader said:

Now onto the li'l 308 setup... Would it survive saltwater use? I'm thinking uber-light surf Perch gear. 

Should be fine for White Perch.

6 hours ago, cityevader said:

Y'know what? Being such a noob, i couldn't nail down my misgivings of this setup. The rod is SO stiff and the reel SO big that i knee-jerk thought it was a boating setup. 

If the taper continued another couple couple of feet to an imaginary new tip, it just might be a surf casting rod. 

Methinks it'll just hang on the wall, and lament silently to itself, to be used. 

Never fished the Pacific for surf perch, so I don't know exactly what the fishing involves, but on this coast, I used my 308, of about the same vintage, for weakfish up to 6 pounds or so, so I suspect it might be OK

I do not like "collecting". 

I detest owning things only "to be looked at". 

I want to FISH this thing! And i love to teardown/rebuild stuff, so this looks like a perfect new hobby! 

For perspective, this reel was my grandfather's, and my dad was born the day after Pearl Harbor. 

Super hot, super Dawn-soapy, water couldn't break the odd crust over the exterior. Whilst my fingernail could chip it off, i wasn't willing to go more coarse than a stiff plastic brush. 

Exterior screws were not corroded at all. Inside, the grease was black and clean, no foreign-anything in there. 

At work (break time only, honest!) , the solvent tank made quick work of interior cleaning, but that half century of dust sticking to an oiled exterior required plastic and wooden scrapers to remove! (i did NOT want to remove any patina.) 

This thing is built like a tank! 

What a GIANT front bearing! (stamped "made in" ......where?) 

The only goofy part was the spool. 

Removing the old line had it catching on the spool. 

Pictured below is what looks like a "pin"? It leaves a hole on the spool's line-side and a protrusion on the outside. 

"Pixel peeping" the photo of the spool's exterior will show a center-mark from a pick when i tried to push it inward without success. 

Hrrmpphh... Braid won't last long rubbing on this... 

I took a small-ish ball bearing and worked the edges of the hole to "peen" the edges over. Then a Scotchbrite pad. Then 2000 grit WD-40-wetted-sandpaper. 

Whilst the overall edge is smoother now, it'll likely catch on light braid... I wonder if i should try to fill that hole with JB weld or some other foolish product that will just ruin the spool while trying to sand down a giant glop of metal-epoxy...? 

20190812_181522.jpg

20190812_090353.jpg

20190812_090420.jpg

20190812_192027.jpg

The hole in the spool was to put your mono line through when the reel was in storage so that the line did not spring off the spool.  Soft mono did not exist back then.  The top of the line back then were Luxor,  Thomen Record which was sold to a machine tool outfit in White Plains, NY, produced for a few years by them, and discontinued.  They lost quality control going from Swiss Production to White Plains, especially in their pressure casting.  We used the same outfit for a while but the breakage, lack of proper trimming, etc was so bad we had to switch.  No doubt Record got the same treatment even though they were across the street from each other.  DAM Quick was the other top of line reel from the late 50's and early 60's.  Mitchell would not take very rough handling and their Bail springs not long lasting.  Penn would take a beating but were not in the same class quality wise.  If you need guides PM me the sizes and I might have some still on hand.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It should be OK for Surf Perch. Surf Perch don't require heavy gear, and that's why Daiwa is making those really cool light action surf rods now. Those could potentially be good matches for those. That little Mitchell, I mean. 

Edited by coastalfreak

I'll save the Mitchell/wooden rod for freshwater, if I ever try that again as it's been decades since last time...I'm hooked on surf fishing now.

That Luxor weighs 26.5oz!!!!

I'm thinking about getting a longer rod (I currently have a 9') for it for bait and wait use...although i really, really hate the idea of planting myself in one spot with two rods...i like to walk around...or maybe i'll just load some line onto it and fish it at least once to check it out.

Any thoughts on a rod that will feel balanced with this tank?