MV Report (Dinkfest)

Rate this topic

buz23

Just got back from my annual two week trip to MV.  Same two weeks for the past 15 years or so (before that, around labor day).

For the first time, I did not catch a legal fish.  I caught lots of fish, topped out at about 27".  Most were 18-23".  Others I chatted with were having similar success with the little guys.  

I fished up island, Menemsha, Lobsterville, Squibnocket, Stonewall.   Most fish were caught on a Jumpin' Minnow (early morning or dusk) or a bomber (after dark), but those are my favorite lures so its really no surprise that's what I caught fish on.  I hooked one good fish, but after a few seconds of thrashing and a short run it came loose.  I saw one just barely legal fish carried off the beach.  No bluefish seen.  Kind of depressing compared to what it had been in the past (in 2010, I beached about 10 fish over 36").  The weather was very good;  days quite warm, nights very dark and some were quite foggy.  I didn't have to fish in the rain once.

For size, it was very similar to my trip last October. 

Not much bait around, mostly what I saw was small sand eels, although there were a few larger unidentified baitfish around the Menemsha jetty.  I heard of large schools of sea herring out in the Sound, but they didn't show up along the shore.  Not many fishermen around either, especially after about 10pm.  There was a time when it was difficult to find a parking spot near the popular spots - not this year.  I only saw one or two fly fishermen.

I saw lots of piping plovers and least terns.  The osprey nest at Lobsterville has 3 young this year, so apparently they aren't having any trouble finding fish. I went through two pounds of raisins feeding the catbirds, which I think greatly outnumber robins on the island.  I think they nested early this year, a couple fledglings (no tails) showed up regularly.  The cottage where I stay had 4 Carolina wrens in the close environs, and they competed every morning.  I've heard one or two before but they must be thriving. There were some spectacular tom turkeys around, its neat to watch them try and court their reflection in the truck bumper or the girls if they're around.  I'm still amazed at how a tom's snood gets long and soft when he's aroused, go figure.  Occasionally a fight will break out among the bachelors, this morning three younger ones ganged up and chased a mature bearded giant out of the yard.  I only saw one poult.

That's it until October. I will be watching the commercial landings with interest and suspect they will have trouble filling the quota.

Buz

2 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Hey Buz23,

I just got on the island on Sat, 7/6. I guess I won't be running into you in the middle of the night this year. If I run into any fish, I'll let you know.

I will be on the vineyard tommorow night as mostly fishing around tisburry great pond.

Why aren’t you fishing?

Lots of small bass around this year.  The bluefish were mostly concentrated on the east side of the island and were all over the place for the month of June.  Seems to have died off as of late.  Waiting for the brown sharks to come in that will be nice.  Caught a few bones off a boat on July 3rd so that was a real treat too 

Island livin

20 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

The bluefish were mostly concentrated on the east side of the island and were all over the place for the month of June.  Seems to have died off as of late.  Waiting for the brown sharks to come in that will be nice. 

Monday,  7/8, on the Vineyard I fished an outgoing tide through sunset. A nice bluefish bite broke out during the last hour of light. The handful of people fishing at the location got some nice blues. 

I landed at least 7 between 4 - 9 lbs. I kept two for dinner, including the 9lber.

I also saw a very nice brown shark landed by a group near me. They were using the smaller blues they caught as bait. The brown was around 4' long. 

20190708_203643.jpg.4d47626fc62bc667dd37a8521575175f.jpg

13 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Monday,  7/8, on the Vineyard I fished an outgoing tide through sunset. A nice bluefish bite broke out during the last hour of light. The handful of people fishing at the location got some nice blues. 

I landed at least 7 between 4 - 9 lbs. I kept two for dinner, including the 9lber.

I also saw a very nice brown shark landed by a group near me. They were using the smaller blues they caught as bait. The brown was around 4' long. 

20190708_203643.jpg.4d47626fc62bc667dd37a8521575175f.jpg

Sadly that bluefish bite was non existent last night and the sharks never showed either

Island livin

Was on island for the last week, crushed blues for 4 hours of Wasque one afternoon on incoming and one bass about 24 in length, first time seeing that kind of blue action, it was a thrill, Norton point was sand shark city, fished darters and buck tails, up island action was slow for me but saw a guy bring in a bonito off loberterville 

10 hours ago, psheridanrossi said:

Was on island for the last week, crushed blues for 4 hours of Wasque one afternoon on incoming and one bass about 24 in length, first time seeing that kind of blue action, it was a thrill, Norton point was sand shark city, fished darters and buck tails, up island action was slow for me but saw a guy bring in a bonito off loberterville 

Should have been here a month ago.  Tons of gator blues off wasque.   15-30 fish a day. 9-12lbs 

Island livin