Birdsnester

The amazing Sand Shark (Dogfish) experiment

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

I've never had them, but a few years ago, Virginia tried to encourage anglers to eat them, as they were considered an "underutilized species" and, at the time, were wrongly thought to be harming Chesapeake Bay shellfisheries.  

Supposedly, the effort never caught on because the rays' flesh is reddish and more like meat than fish.  However, if you want to try, you can google "Virginia ray recipes" and find some to give you a start.

I’ve heard they they taste like scallop and are served that way.

17 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I’ve heard they they taste like scallop and are served that way.

I think that's more skates than cownose rays. 

There was a 2010 article in The Virginia Pilot that started out this way.  Doesn't sound too much like scallops.

For four years now, the state has worked to reduce the number of shellfish-eating rays in the Chesapeake Bay by adding a new predator to the waters - humans.

The state opened the waters to ray fishing and created a market for the winged creature's blood-colored flesh, which tastes more like veal or flank steak than seafood. It even changed the name from bullfish to the more palatable-sounding Chesapeake ray.

But, so far, few are biting.

"I have folks who buy it who are vegetarians because it tastes like red meat," said Chuck Macin, owner of Uncle Chuck's Seafood in Virginia Beach, but he says that if he had to depend on revenue from the sale of ray meat, he'd "starve to death."

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

I think that's more skates than cownose rays. 

There was a 2010 article in The Virginia Pilot that started out this way.  Doesn't sound too much like scallops.

For four years now, the state has worked to reduce the number of shellfish-eating rays in the Chesapeake Bay by adding a new predator to the waters - humans.

The state opened the waters to ray fishing and created a market for the winged creature's blood-colored flesh, which tastes more like veal or flank steak than seafood. It even changed the name from bullfish to the more palatable-sounding Chesapeake ray.

But, so far, few are biting.

"I have folks who buy it who are vegetarians because it tastes like red meat," said Chuck Macin, owner of Uncle Chuck's Seafood in Virginia Beach, but he says that if he had to depend on revenue from the sale of ray meat, he'd "starve to death."

LoL yeah that does not sound like scallops.  Too bad I love scallops.  Can’t imagine that it taste like a steak though 

5 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

LoL yeah that does not sound like scallops.  Too bad I love scallops.  Can’t imagine that it taste like a steak though 

I suspect that there’s a reason why sales weren’t very good.

With all the bacteria in the surf line now the last thing I would do is eat a surf caught fish. But then again, what dont kill ya makes u stronger.