Birdsnester

The amazing Sand Shark (Dogfish) experiment

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Didn't you hear? The Spiny Dogfish is replacing Cod as in Cape Cod. It's now called "Cape Shark". Seriously, there is an effort to market them since they are so plentiful. US Foods markets them as "Cape Shark Tenders".  

23 mins ago, beerdoh said:

Didn't you hear? The Spiny Dogfish is replacing Cod as in Cape Cod. It's now called "Cape Shark". Seriously, there is an effort to market them since they are so plentiful. US Foods markets them as "Cape Shark Tenders".  

Gotta fill the void with something to sell since they are on track to wipe out the flounder, cod, and haddock. 

1 hour ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Gotta fill the void with something to sell since they are on track to wipe out the flounder, cod, and haddock. 

Haddock? There are more haddock around than anyone knows what to do with.  NMFS just upped the recreational bag limit on them. You need to do some research before you type.

26 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Haddock? There are more haddock around than anyone knows what to do with.  NMFS just upped the recreational bag limit on them. You need to do some research before you type.

apparently I do oh well.  Thanks for the information.  Out of curiosity why is haddock prices going up so much at the market if their is an oversupply?  My in-laws eat haddock a lot and are complaining that it got more expensive lately at the local market.  My assumption was price increase was due to limited supply situation similar to Cod.  

We agree winter flounder, cod, and stripers are overfished correct?

On the topic of marketing marginal meat to people in other markets.  There was a major marketing push to sell Yukon River Chum Salmon to west coast restaurants.  In Alaska its called "dog salmon" because they use it to feed their sled dogs and people eat the better tasting salmon species.  Selling a marginal meat to a market that does not know any better through creative marketing is pretty common place.

39 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

apparently I do oh well.  Thanks for the information.  Out of curiosity why is haddock prices going up so much at the market if their is an oversupply?  My in-laws eat haddock a lot and are complaining that it got more expensive lately at the local market.  My assumption was price increase was due to limited supply situation similar to Cod.  

We agree winter flounder, cod, and stripers are overfished correct?

Yes I wil agree that flounder and stripers are "overfished." Cod I don't agree are overfished, the ABC is well below the overfishing limit. Several year ago, yes they were "overfished" but not today. I have no idea why your see local prices of haddock rising, but its certainly not from a lack of supply. Note that stripers are not managed in the same way or by the same entities that manage cod and haddock. 

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Yes I wil agree that flounder and stripers are "overfished." Cod I don't agree are overfished, the ABC is well below the overfishing limit. Several year ago, yes they were "overfished" but not today. I have no idea why your see local prices of haddock rising, but its certainly not from a lack of supply. Note that stripers are not managed in the same way or by the same entities that manage cod and haddock. 

This is interesting someone at an event a few weeks back was saying the 2017 assessment for Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank were that the cod stock is over fished.  Glad to hear its on the rebound.

3 mins ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

This is interesting someone at an event a few weeks back was saying the 2017 assessment for Gulf of Maine and Georges Bank were that the cod stock is over fished.  Glad to hear its on the rebound.

I think they misspoke and it was the 2016 assessment. Buy the council has taken action to recover the species. In fact they just went back to allowing a recreational cod season for the fist time in a while. It will start this fall.

18 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Aren’t they out of business lol 

You can find them in Nathan's (hot dog place). Arthur Treacher's has a section in the stores. Still good. Love them as a kid. $11 will get you 2 fillets, Nathan's fries, 2 hush puppies and cole slaw. 

On 7/7/2019 at 0:03 PM, aae0130 said:

Is one not edible? 

They are both edible.

On 7/7/2019 at 4:44 PM, MakoMike said:

No one answered the question smooth or spiny dog fish. I never ate a smooth dogfish but the spiny dogfish are pretty good. I've been told that the spiny tastes better than the smooth. Joey has the right idea, just filet them as soon as they hit the deck and thor the carcass overboard, get the filets on ice ASAP.

Spiney is whiter, less grainy, and imo, better tasting, especially if fried with Cocktail Sauce.

4 hours ago, The Graveyard Shift said:

Selling a marginal meat to a market that does not know any better through creative marketing is pretty common place.

And perfectly fine, I'll add.  Meat is meat for the most part.   Aside ffrom flavor, which ca be moderated via cooking/preparation, meat is for protein and marginal sources are just as complete as delicacies.

What certain cultures/regions accept as edible vs 'gross' is somewhat arbitrary and borne more of custom & tradition than science, IMO.

3 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

You can find them in Nathan's (hot dog place). Arthur Treacher's has a section in the stores. Still good. Love them as a kid. $11 will get you 2 fillets, Nathan's fries, 2 hush puppies and cole slaw. 

YUMMM! Summer fun!!!

On 7/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, JoeyZac said:

It's actually quicker, easier, and better (for the final product) if you skip the heading/gutting, and just filet it on the deck right there and then, throw the filets in a ziplock, put the filets on ice, and throw the carcass over.

Skin off of the filet, right?