Birdsnester

The amazing Sand Shark (Dogfish) experiment

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TimS
Personal and off topic - this isn't a discussion about any member here, it's about eating dogfish - thanks.

You can cut the tail in steaks and braise it with shrimp and clams etc ...it’ll look like osso Bucco ...the fresher you prepare it the better it’ll be, they go south quick much like skate does 

It's actually quicker, easier, and better (for the final product) if you skip the heading/gutting, and just filet it on the deck right there and then, throw the filets in a ziplock, put the filets on ice, and throw the carcass over.

I’m sure it was delicious. Freezing it was the big mistake. Next time, eat it the same or next day or don’t keep it. The quality and freshness of the meat will be light years better. 

Years ago I caught one while vacationing in Maine. We filleted it on the boat. That evening when I took the fillets out of the bag they were still moving. I soaked them in milk, and they were still moving. When I put them in the hot pan, still moving. Stopped moving on the dinner plate but my little sister was too creeped out to eat.

Gotta love the primitive nervous system in sharks.

16 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

It smells weird but I've never had to soak in milk, was it a smooth or spiny dog?

Is one not edible? 

Used to strip them for fluke baits...I made the olfactory association between dogfish and Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips one day when some of the strips were baking in the sun :idea:  The baked strips smelled delicious :drool:

Still never ate one...but I'm going to fillet a few next time to give away and see if other folks like the fillets...always looking for something non-game/sport fish to feed to the people always asking me for fish :)

TimS

7 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I cut down the back got two big filets and filleted them like any other fish.  I did not peel the skin like that be seen others do.  It was simple actually.  

Yeah that works too

3 hours ago, TimS said:

Used to strip them for fluke baits...I made the olfactory association between dogfish and Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips one day when some of the strips were baking in the sun :idea:  The baked strips smelled delicious :drool:

Still never ate one...but I'm going to fillet a few next time to give away and see if other folks like the fillets...always looking for something non-game/sport fish to feed to the people always asking me for fish :)

TimS

My dad (who is 87) told me many years ago that Arthur Treachers was sand shark. I never tried them. 

Edited by aae0130

No one answered the question smooth or spiny dog fish. I never ate a smooth dogfish but the spiny dogfish are pretty good. I've been told that the spiny tastes better than the smooth. Joey has the right idea, just filet them as soon as they hit the deck and thor the carcass overboard, get the filets on ice ASAP.

33 mins ago, MakoMike said:

No one answered the question smooth or spiny dog fish. I never ate a smooth dogfish but the spiny dogfish are pretty good. I've been told that the spiny tastes better than the smooth. Joey has the right idea, just filet them as soon as they hit the deck and thor the carcass overboard, get the filets on ice ASAP.

post #23 Smooth dog 

Edited by the3fishheads

3 hours ago, aae0130 said:

My dad (who is 87) told me many years ago that Arthur Treachers was sand shark. I never tried them. 

Aren’t they out of business lol