Birdsnester

The amazing Sand Shark (Dogfish) experiment

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Been fishing since the 70’s.  Thrown back thousands of sand sharks in my day.  Well the sand shark met its match and bit the dust recently.  I heard all this craziness about Dogfish and chips.  So I thought for once I’d give it a try.

i landed maybe the largest Dogfish I’ve ever seen recently so I did the deed and “harvested” one.  This sucker was almost 4 feet long.  

I read that that if you are going to eat them you need to bleed them and remove all the guts, so I did. 

I froze it and brought it to a party at my family’s house for the July Fourth holiday.  I was all fired up, so excited!!!

so I defrosted it and showed my family with great pride this mammoth that I landed.  I was BIG!  

As i defrosted it my Mom was commenting on an odd smell in the house.  I didn’t smell anything.  But decided to smell the fish up close.  It was a God awful smell.  Like ammonia or sulfur or something.  Oh crap I thought This is going to be a bust and I harvested an animal for nothing.  

So I read the recipe for blues and sand sharks both can be skanky so I figured I’d give it a shot.  

Milk it said!  Drown the flesh in milk.  For a day???  Yep...  ok I will but I never had to do this with Fluke...

So,  Dogfish filets drowned in milk for a day, dredged in flour, cornmeal, old bay, pepper, salt, and fried is pretty amazing.

white, super white flesh and absolutely delicious!!!  Fried sand shark on a roll with mayo and horseradish was incredible!

look at the pic of how amazingly white!  Fantastic fish...

BC47778F-48BB-4761-9D1E-C27F18C97C2A.jpeg

A54C6A4B-CE04-45A0-968F-2B2390AF3CF4.jpeg

Just now, the3fishheads said:

It's like a cross between clam and squid. If prepared rite. Topped with fresh raw snail and its a dish.

And oh yea a full bottle of extra hot sauce.

Delisious. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They need to be killed quickly and skinned as soon as possible.  They piss through their skin which retains alot of the smell.  Skinning them is a hassle so I just steak them to help air out the meat.  Makes it easier to skin an portion in the kitchen as well.

Edited by DeepBlue85

13 hours ago, the3fishheads said:

It's like a cross between clam and squid. If prepared rite. Topped with fresh raw snail and its a dish.

LoL there are people that I fish with that won’t touch them.  It’s weird they actually get angry that someone would actually keep one.  We’ve all been brainwashed 

13 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

It smells weird but I've never had to soak in milk, was it a smooth or spiny dog?

Not sure.  It seems smooth to me.3AF62AF8-DF76-46C2-B3D2-88D2D8C9F52F.jpeg.ba327599a20d7857a6d3fa7aba46e252.jpeg

12 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

They need to be killed quickly and skinned as soon as possible.  They piss through their skin which retains alot of the smell.  Skinning them is a hassle so I just steak them to help air out the meat.  Makes it easier to skin an portion in the kitchen as well.

I cut down the back got two big filets and filleted them like any other fish.  I did not peel the skin like that be seen others do.  It was simple actually.  

14 hours ago, DeepBlue85 said:

X2 on this one, big time. Done this way no smell or ammonia  taste.