Belmo

Belmo's DIY Teardrop Trailer Build

Rate this topic

643 posts in this topic

It has begun. :howdy:

The trailer is built, and I got the dual hitch/bike racky thingy, and took it for a spin around the block today.

The next step, which I will start tomorrow, if the dew point drops below 900, is to build the floor. I'm done working outside today -- it's too freaking hot -- but I will finish the tentative design and do a mockup of the interior. I can do all that inside, in the a.c., and thrn get after it in the morning.

I still have a zillion decisions to make. One of them is the bike rack: I can leave it as is, or I can move the hitch rack to the front (I got a hitch up there too) to make room for a trailer box outside the sleeping cabin. I will probably leave it the way it is, but I want to see what the bike rack looks like up front before I make a final decision. 

Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes this way. :howdy:

20190706_150258.jpg

1 min ago, Belmo said:

The trailer is built,

Was built, by someone in a factory?

2 mins ago, Belmo said:

It has begun. :howdy:

The trailer is built, and I got the dual hitch/bike racky thingy, and took it for a spin around the block today.

The next step, which I will start tomorrow, if the dew point drops below 900, is to build the floor. I'm done working outside today -- it's too freaking hot -- but I will finish the tentative design and do a mockup of the interior. I can do all that inside, in the a.c., and thrn get after it in the morning.

I still have a zillion decisions to make. One of them is the bike rack: I can leave it as is, or I can move the hitch rack to the front (I got a hitch up there too) to make room for a trailer box outside the sleeping cabin. I will probably leave it the way it is, but I want to see what the bike rack looks like up front before I make a final decision. 

Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes this way. :howdy:

20190706_150258.jpg

i'm glad you took a picture now, so we can remember it when it looked nice.

Just now, woowoo2 said:

Was built, by someone in a factory?

Kit. It shipped in 750 pieces, and I had to assemble it. What a pain in the ass.

Just now, rocco said:

i'm glad you took a picture now, so we can remember it when it looked nice.

The traditional way to waterproof these things is with an aluminum skin, like an Airstream. I am doing it differently: I am doing canvas, aka poor man's fiberglass. 

The canvas has to be painted, and I am going to paint it the gayest color I can get my hands on. The guy at the hardware store around the corner is on board: he told me he could mix me up a batch of paint -- I told him I want stripper-labia pink, and he said, "No problem." :th:

3 mins ago, rocco said:

is canvas waterproof?

at least its heavy and tears :th: 

It is when it's glued onto the plywood, nd thrn painted. It's so waterproof they use it on boats. :th:

A competent person should be able to build that in 2-3 hours. What'd it take you, 1 month?

1 min ago, Belmo said:

It is when it's glued onto the plywood, nd thrn painted. It's so waterproof they use it on boats. :th:

ah, yes, moar blow boat technology is what this project needs.

The internet thinks that thing can hold around 1700 Lbs, correct?

If so, you will have that in your framing.

6 mins ago, i07nyc said:

A competent person should be able to build that in 2-3 hours. What'd it take you, 1 month?

Three days.

And when has anyone confused me with a competent person? :shrug:

19 mins ago, Belmo said:

Kit. It shipped in 750 pieces, and I had to assemble it. What a pain in the ass.

Good luck getting that registered in PA.