Ivan AUS

Surf distance casting rod help

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, Jcallaham said:

I suggest you go to waveinn .com and get into the surf rod section. there are 50 or more 4.25 m (14FT) surf rods in there 3 to 8oz weight range. prices range from $50.00 to a  few at $1000.00. Start out cheap say between $100 and $200. all of them have specs, look at how much the rod weighs and stay below 500gr. So far I have purchased a diawa shore cast  and an okuma . they are really fun to cast . So far waveinn is a good company to buy from, no problems. Remmember they ship from Europe, you will have to wait awhile to recieve your purchase. good luck and long casts.

I just purchased a 13'9" three-piece Spanish surf casting rod (Kali Kunnan Proton 420) from Waveinn and it was a good purchase. Frankly, I had some trepidation about dealing with a new-to-me online shop. However, I promptly got an online tracking number and email notifications as the package moved through the mail The rod arrived undamaged from Europe after only 10 days, having been well packed in a solid document tube with blister wrap. I'll review the rod itself in a few weeks once I've had a chance to throw some 3, 4, 6, and 8 oz sinkers on a local field, but initial quality looks good for the $45 I paid. 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Capefox said:

I just purchased a 13'9" three-piece Spanish surf casting rod (Kali Kunnan Proton 420) from Waveinn and it was a good purchase. Frankly, I had some trepidation about dealing with a new-to-me online shop. However, I promptly got an online tracking number and email notifications as the package moved through the mail The rod arrived undamaged from Europe after only 10 days, having been well packed in a solid document tube with blister wrap. I'll review the rod itself in a few weeks once I've had a chance to throw some 3, 4, 6, and 8 oz sinkers on a local field, but initial quality looks good for the $45 I paid. 

I promised a follow-up and here it is. I tried some practice casting with the Kali Kunnan Proton 420, 14', rod, and it didn't suit my techniques. I felt the action was more moderate than I prefer, and I've got used to a faster action in the Okuma Solaris and Travel Nomad. It really wasn't a bad blank though. Pretty light for its length, and the high-visibility yellow blank with its orange wraps was cheerful. To be super picky, I didn't like the way the ferrules fit, and the reel seat was very austere. It's a perfectly fine entry level surf rod, but at this point in life I'm willing to pay more for something a little nicer. I got a Shakespeare Sigma Supra 13-3 rod, and it has the power, looks, and length I wanted. The hardware, blank, and seat are quite nice. The Shakespeare only set me back $60 on Amazon; the Proton 420 was $35. Waveinn was great to work with on my return. They responded to my return/refund in a timely, courteous fashion. I've since ordered a Daiwa rod from Waveinn for throwing 3/4 bucktails in the surf, and for bait fishing for carp/cats in freshwater (those reach well over 20 - 30 lbs around here).  

Edited by Capefox

On 10/3/2019 at 1:00 PM, Capefox said:

I promised a follow-up and here it is. I tried some practice casting with the Kali Kunnan Proton 420, 14', rod, and it didn't suit my techniques. I felt the action was more moderate than I prefer, and I've got used to a faster action in the Okuma Solaris and Travel Nomad. It really wasn't a bad blank though. Pretty light for its length, and the high-visibility yellow blank with its orange wraps was cheerful. To be super picky, I didn't like the way the ferrules fit, and the reel seat was very austere. It's a perfectly fine entry level surf rod, but at this point in life I'm willing to pay more for something a little nicer. I got a Shakespeare Sigma Supra 13-3 rod, and it has the power, looks, and length I wanted. The hardware, blank, and seat are quite nice. The Shakespeare only set me back $60 on Amazon; the Proton 420 was $35. Waveinn was great to work with on my return. They responded to my return/refund in a timely, courteous fashion. I've since ordered a Daiwa rod from Waveinn for throwing 3/4 bucktails in the surf, and for bait fishing for carp/cats in freshwater (those reach well over 20 - 30 lbs around here).  

The Daiwa Procaster 11 ft steelhead rod arrived undamaged and within the shipping estimates time window. Another happy interaction with wave inn. Can't wait to try it out on striped bass. I got a Spinfisher VI 4000 to match it - those reels are just perfection. 

Well i was looking and looking and i went and tried the daiwa ballistic rod and found it too stiff and fast for my liking... i almost settled on a nitro messiah but it was an overhead and then i found a 13 foot crucis elite surf i think its called. Seems pretty good for now...

so bow im in the market for a new long cast reel as i had a slight accident thenother day at the beach and lost my entire serup rod and reel to the ocean..

i have and am pretty happy with the shimano ultegra xtb ci4 long cast but is there anything better out there right now. Im hearibg good stuff on the new penn long cast but hear its heavy???

your thoughts please

Looked at the Daiwa Australia site - I see the DAIWA Tournament ISO 6000 Entoh is now mag sealed and the reel body is angled towards the rod vice the Shimano LC reels being parallel to the rod.  The Shimano design tends to wobble the rod on retrieve unless you have either a Shimano Tiralego factory rod or a custom layout on another blank.  The choke point in the guide layout is a different distance from the spool face for the 2 different body alignments.

That having been said, if it were offered here in the US, I would own one of the new Entoh - I have owned and fished the older Entoh USA version, which was badged as the Saltiga Surf.  This was a "washable" design, and I have never had corrosion problems with the magnesium body, as I religiously wash it after every use, and maintain a heavy coat of Penn reel grease inside.  The new version of the Entoh has a Zaion Body, and with the magsealed feature, should offer better protection than either the Saltiga Surf or the Ultegra's, and be much lighter than the Penn Spinfisher VI LC reel of comparable size ( the 7500, I believe).  

I own several Ultegra's, as well as the Shimano Aero Techniums.  The "Super Slow" oscillation of the larger Ultegras and Aero Technium give a "better" line lay than the Daiwa or Penn LC reels, so likely a better cast when matched with their rod

I never had the opportunity to measure casts with my Shimanos/Shimano Tiralego rods.  My measured best cast with a Saltiga Surf, 10lb mono and a 14ft Zipplex V-Max F2 was 525ft with 125grams and an OTG cast, and 427 ft with 30lb PP Braid and a 4oz Diamond Jig with a Uni-Tech Cast, so I suspect the Entoh will give you more than enough casting performance with greater flexibility in rod selection and better (as compared to the Shimanos) saltwater spray/splash protection while landing a fish.

Hope this helps.

Thanks alot!! Very interesting i did experience some wobble on retrieve with the ultegra but nothing to be concerned about. 

for me its quite important to get a really good slow oscillation and line wrap to further my cast so at the moment the shimano xtc ultegra ci4 is in the arena.. 

im prepared to look overseas for a good reel also but im rellying on people like yourself with your reviews.
i also wash my rods and reels religiously and have never had any magnesium corrosion issues. I have played with wuite a few greases and found that the penn factory frease is very good and lasts years although i use the blue yamaha marine grease and i flood my bearings with a special nano armament sythetic oil. Just like new after that. I also picked up a small trick of lining the entire teeel case edge where it meets the other case with marine grease and then i will place grease on the screw threads to seal. This helps alot with ingress of water.