Surf distance casting rod help

Rate this topic

Hi all im hoping to get some advice on what to get.. i currently use my shimano ultegra. 14000 ci4 with daiwa j braidx8  (50lb)to about 5m of fc rock flouro leader (20lb) and T this up to a MH penn prevail 12 foot rod... i am now after a 14 foot rod to get ultimate distance.. (im aware casting technique is vital)

problem is i want to explore the range before i make a decision. 

I dont want the old style thick but glass rod but a more nodern thin type... i want tk be able to cast my bait more than 90m like i currently do and want to get the hardware to help me do it..

somive been looking at the daiwa tournament sensor surf....

The tica shizen, the shimano surf leader ultra and i dont know of any other than those.. i do keep hearing teally good stufd about the st.croix mojo surf and legend surf but they are 12 foot or close to... im wondering about these and will they be better than my penn prevail or not..

thanks

Ivan

Edited by Ivan AUS

From your name and the gear you've listed, it sounds like you are from Aus. Where abouts are you located.

What weights are you casting? 20lb leader sounds really light. A general rule of thumb to ensure a margin of safety from cracking off during the cast would be 10lb of breaking strain for each ounce of lead.

90m is a very big cast with a bait in tow.

For an easy distance increase, loose the 50lb braid. 20-30lb is more than enough to stop most species and will add meters to your cast. The other easy way to buy distance is to clip your bait to the sinker during the cast to improve the aerodynamics. There are heaps of clips available, just do some googling on pulley rigs and bait clips.

That are you targeting and what baits are you using?

Technique really is the key. Generally purchasing new rods and reels to try and buy distance is normally expensive and disappointing. Time spent learing how to load a rod properly and building the muscle memory is a much better investment and will see you casting further will any gear.

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

From your name and the gear you've listed, it sounds like you are from Aus. Where abouts are you located.

What weights are you casting? 20lb leader sounds really light. A general rule of thumb to ensure a margin of safety from cracking off during the cast would be 10lb of breaking strain for each ounce of lead.

90m is a very big cast with a bait in tow.

For an easy distance increase, loose the 50lb braid. 20-30lb is more than enough to stop most species and will add meters to your cast. The other easy way to buy distance is to clip your bait to the sinker during the cast to improve the aerodynamics. There are heaps of clips available, just do some googling on pulley rigs and bait clips.

That are you targeting and what baits are you using?

Technique really is the key. Generally purchasing new rods and reels to try and buy distance is normally expensive and disappointing. Time spent learing how to load a rod properly and building the muscle memory is a much better investment and will see you casting further will any gear.

Yes i am in aus.. i use a flourocarbon 20lb leader because most species we get off the beach unless its a ray, shark or jewfish are not that big... its extremely rare for us to get a legal (30cm) snapper from the beach in nsw atleast unless your off the rocks. Hence the smaller leader.. yes i agree with the comments about the rods, reel and line and i will invest in these clips my rigs are normally patternoster setup. Ok the cast may be between 70-90m..

although saying all else like reel and line and technicque is good id like to get a 14 foot rod but just dint know which 1

Hey mate. Im based in Sydney. if you are local i might be able to help you with your technique.

The comment on leader was more refering to the safety aspect, as a powerful cast particularly with leads more than 3oz or 80g can easily break 20lb.

As for rods there are a few options locally, but most off the shelf options in this country are overpriced and underperforming. The majority of my rods are imports from the UK but these come with a hefty pricetag.

• 1 month later...
On 7/5/2019 at 6:02 AM, Ivan AUS said:

Hi all im hoping to get some advice on what to get.. i currently use my shimano ultegra. 14000 ci4 with daiwa j braidx8  (50lb)to about 5m of fc rock flouro leader (20lb) and T this up to a MH penn prevail 12 foot rod... i am now after a 14 foot rod to get ultimate distance.. (im aware casting technique is vital)

problem is i want to explore the range before i make a decision. 

I dont want the old style thick but glass rod but a more nodern thin type... i want tk be able to cast my bait more than 90m like i currently do and want to get the hardware to help me do it..

somive been looking at the daiwa tournament sensor surf....

The tica shizen, the shimano surf leader ultra and i dont know of any other than those.. i do keep hearing teally good stufd about the st.croix mojo surf and legend surf but they are 12 foot or close to... im wondering about these and will they be better than my penn prevail or not..

thanks

Ivan

The rod rating for prevail 12’ is 4-8 ounces of lure, bait & weight. If you are throwing less than 5 ounces you are not using the full potential of the rod. Throw out at least 5 ounces and make the rod bend when casting. Get rid of your 20 pound leader and replace it with 3-4 feet 50-60 lb fish finder rig or top bottom rig.

If you can only cast 3oz and less you are better off with 10-11 footer medium rod & a 30lb braid.

Practice Brighton cast or Hatteras cast. If you can’t do pendulum or Off The Ground cast.

Good luck mate!

On 08/07/2019 at 3:42 PM, Dan C said:

Hey mate. Im based in Sydney. if you are local i might be able to help you with your technique.

The comment on leader was more refering to the safety aspect, as a powerful cast particularly with leads more than 3oz or 80g can easily break 20lb.

As for rods there are a few options locally, but most off the shelf options in this country are overpriced and underperforming. The majority of my rods are imports from the UK but these come with a hefty pricetag.

My problem

is i am wondering if there is a go to brand that stands out i guess i hear of zipplex, tica, assasin, st croix and so much more.. but is there a particular one that is the ants pants of rods

Ivan,

Century are good, Zziplex, Italcanna, Diamond, CTS and Veret too.

Even Okuma here in SA have a superb big surf rod series the Makaira.

But don't think they are available anywhere else, the US market has a Makaira surf rod, but from the images and descriptions, they are not even vaguely the same thing.

If you are close to Sydney, take DanC up on his offer of some help.

I might be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Jeremy Schrader (look him and Dan up on YT) has helped him a fair bit with technique, he could not make anything worse....

Jeremy owns more rods than a well stocked tackle shop and Dan's level of addiction, from what Jeremy has said to me is impressive. Help is a good thing

Edited by ZAFisher

I suggest you go to waveinn .com and get into the surf rod section. there are 50 or more 4.25 m (14FT) surf rods in there 3 to 8oz weight range. prices range from $50.00 to a  few at $1000.00. Start out cheap say between $100 and $200. all of them have specs, look at how much the rod weighs and stay below 500gr. So far I have purchased a diawa shore cast  and an okuma . they are really fun to cast . So far waveinn is a good company to buy from, no problems. Remmember they ship from Europe, you will have to wait awhile to recieve your purchase. good luck and long casts.

Ivan - I looked at the Daiwa Australia site and they have the Saltiga Ballistic Surf series, which I can say, having built the 33-40513ft 3inch model for a friend, and cast it, is an excellent choice for distance, and most importantly, can withstand a Hatteras, OTG and "fishing" pendulum cast.  Use the search function, and you will find at least two other threads in which I have posted tutorial YouTube videos for these casts.  Also, Daiwa has, on their site, under "stores", locations where you can shop for their gear.

On 08/07/2019 at 3:42 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Dan, appreciate that. Im time poor at the moment and havent thrown a line in ages.. i am in the south west of sydney..

4 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Ivan - I looked at the Daiwa Australia site and they have the Saltiga Ballistic Surf series, which I can say, having built the 33-40513ft 3inch model for a friend, and cast it, is an excellent choice for distance, and most importantly, can withstand a Hatteras, OTG and "fishing" pendulum cast.  Use the search function, and you will find at least two other threads in which I have posted tutorial YouTube videos for these casts.  Also, Daiwa has, on their site, under "stores", locations where you can shop for their gear.

Sounds great i also see they have the tournament sensor surf.. noe i just got to decide between zziplex, st croix, centuary, daiwa, tica, and that new shimano surf casting blue coloured rod... i just cant decide but i want something that isnt too fat down low, something sensitive enough but not like a glass rod, something that with decent power will flex and give me a good cast.... something already tried by others i guess as i cant go buying rods every month.. alot to digest and choose from

23 hours ago, FlatWing said:

Ivan - I looked at the Daiwa Australia site and they have the Saltiga Ballistic Surf series, which I can say, having built the 33-405 13ft 3inch model for a friend, and cast it, is an excellent choice for distance, and most importantly, can withstand a Hatteras, OTG and "fishing" pendulum cast.  Use the search function, and you will find at least two other threads in which I have posted tutorial YouTube videos for these casts.  Also, Daiwa has, on their site, under "stores", locations where you can shop for their gear.

Hi Flatwing,

May I know what is the difference in Daiwa Saltiga ballistic AU model and  Daiwa Tournament ballistic available in US. 

In other thread you asked me to chose the US model 35- 405 or 40 - 405. I find both can be little heavy for me to cast however the 33-405 is not available at the moment in US. So I thinking of picking the AU model 33-405. 

Will that make any difference on perfomance of the rod.

Do you think someone can achieve 656 ft (200 mtrs) with bait on this rod or atleast 500 ft I am happy.

As you suggested I am practising the cast on the following sequence Brighton cast > OTG > Hatteras.

Thanks, KK