3 way Circuit and Motion Light

Rate this topic

Shadhead

Can I put a motion light on a 3 way circuit? I have an existing porch light that is just on-off. I'm thinking about a motion light, not a dusk to dawn light. I'm guessing it would be the same deal... either the power is on or the power is off. Am I correct in thinking this? 

Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.

Shad, yes you can put it on a 3-way setup. 

One way to keep the power in the system always on and to make sure it’s tough to shut the switch off. I believe the home centers sell them, look for a switch guard. It covers over the paddle of the switch, you can still turn it off but it takes your fingers deliberately making the move by moving the paddle on the edges of the guard. It screws to the cover plate and saddles over the paddle. It’s nothing more than a piece of plastic or metal bend to fit over the switch paddle. 

2 hours ago, Shadhead said:

Thanks guys. The guard idea is great, I've got a couple of locations for something just like that. Now to do some shopping.

A lot of people will use them for a furnace or boiler switch at the top of a stairs. Nothing worse than coming home to a home that the heater is not on. They tend to be accidentally turned off.