kzibell086

Staying in Waves, OBX :)

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone! Im going to be picking up some 12 pound mono when i get there + some smaller hooks. I want to stick with my high low rights, at least at first. I confirmed with the property owner ( were renting a house out) that there is a big pond with bass in it, so at least ill have a little reminder of home.

Right now they are catching Pompano, Mullet/Kingfish/Whiting, Flounder and some smaller Black & Red Drum in the surf, all shrimp eaters.

Around dusk they are also catching some Spanish Macs on metals (casting spoons) 

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 hours ago, kzibell086 said:

I confirmed with the property owner ( were renting a house out) that there is a big pond with bass in it, so at least ill have a little reminder of home.

In Waves? :confused:

If you were up in Kitty Hawk or Nags Head, I would say yes, but I don't know of any pond in Waves.....the island is only 1/2 mile wide at most there with sound on one side and ocean on the other. Riding along Route 12, any pond bigger than a drainage ditch would easily be spotted, and in 25 years of going there, I have never seen it.

And you mentioned "Laughing Gull" and a Google Map search only comes up with anything with that name up in Nags Head.

Edited by Steve in Mass

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

In Waves? :confused:

If you were up in Kitty Hawk or Nags Head, I would say yes, but I don't know of any pond in Waves.....the island is only 1/2 mile wide at most there with sound on one side and ocean on the other. Riding along Route 12, any pond bigger than a drainage ditch would easily be spotted, and in 25 years of going there, I have never seen it.

And you mentioned "Laughing Gull" and a Google Map search only comes up with anything with that name up in Nags Head.

I think it's called Laughing Gull Landing. And there is a body of water close to the house

Well, I guess I eat crow :o but that looks man made. Not saying it doesn't hold fish, but if it does it must be stocked. Really isn't much bigger than a large mud puddle. And I guess I never saw it as it is hidden behind the building.

Yep thats it! Just pulled out 2 chunks from it over an hour, probably between 1.5 and 2.5 pounds each. There is a lot of coontail right on the edges with a ton of fry hidding in. It was very tricky to get too, but it was worth it.

I asked one of the workers what was working this week at a bait store up in Duck, and he gave me two different sized baitholders and some bloodworms. I think the smaller ones were size 5, and the larger ones were 1/0. He also said bloodworms were working well so i got a bag of 10 as well.

Was out for a little over an hour when storms started rolling in. Didnt get a single bite on bloodworms, and i was throwing right in a deep pocket between sand bar and beach. There was a few other people fishing and no one else caught anything either. 

I was out at 5:30 to like 6:45 AM. Also, i couldnt get the bloodworm to stay on the hook no matter how hard i tried. It would be fine when i casted out but when i reeled in it was empty, every time.

13 hours ago, kzibell086 said:

Was out for a little over an hour when storms started rolling in. Didnt get a single bite on bloodworms, and i was throwing right in a deep pocket between sand bar and beach. There was a few other people fishing and no one else caught anything either. 

I was out at 5:30 to like 6:45 AM. Also, i couldnt get the bloodworm to stay on the hook no matter how hard i tried. It would be fine when i casted out but when i reeled in it was empty, every time.

Small fish or crabs you can't even feel. That is why bloodworms, while very effective, are not always the best choice, as they are also quite expensive to be feeding to crabs or baitfish.

Also, try casting not into the middle of the hole, but just on the edge of it near the beach or to the outer edge near the sandbar.  ALWAYS work the edges.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Also try using your bass gear, if that isn't what you are using.  Don't oversize your hooks too.  A size 4 hook will still pull in a 25" red drum and no issue at all with the sea mullet and other smaller fish.  Use a 1/2 oz or so of weight (change up until you see what is comfortable), round sinker that will move in the surf.  Kind of like fishing in a stream or river, best weight is the one that ticks on the bottom.  Keep reeling in your slack to keep somewhat tight.  To me, that is the best way to fish sand fleas or shrimp pieces.  They aren't just stuck to the ground in nature.  They are moving back and forth with the waves/current.  Once you get a bite, you will noticed the difference between the waves and a fish.  Some fish make it unmistakable and take off with it.  Others are just like the tap, tap, tap, that you are used to with freshwater fish.  It also puts the equipment that you have confidence in, and are comfortable with feeling the lightest taps, in your hands.  I have set the hook on some really light taps before, and end up with some decent size fish.  When in doubt, set the hook (you don't need to rip their face off).

The set it and forget it, pyramid/hurricane weight on a surf rod, is fine if they are hitting hard.  But often, you are just feeding the other fish without realizing.  Same thing with the large hooks.  They are better for the bigger fish, if they are aggressive, but even the larger fish at times will pick at bait before committing, or spit it out before you are able to get them.

I have caught some really nice black drum, pompano and sea mullet, right were the waves are breaking.  Set the hook and see them in the wave.  Usually after I have reeled in the slack a bit, and just about to cast again.  

Edited by Porktown

Was about to pick up shrimp when we lost the car keys... Its a rental and were here from Maryland so thats great. I might make a 2 mile walk down to a bait store.