Staying in Waves, OBX :)

Rate this topic

Hey everyone! This is my first post on this forum! on 7/6/19 im heading down to Waves, OBX for a week. I have a few questions for all you experienced fishermen out there.  

I usually only bass fish in lakes and large ponds, so im completely new to saltwater fishing. I got a something 3000 salt water reel, a 12 foot surf rod (probably overkill but too late now), some 4/0 circle hooks, 10- 3 oz pyramid weights, and i picked up some high low rigs (honestly just knew i was going to lose a few and was too lazy to tie all them myself).

So today i realized, I could go pier fishing if i wanted. I had previously planned to go surf fishing, (not targeting anything specific, just something i could eat) and now i have the option to go to a pier.

Do you think id have better luck surf fishing or piet fishing? I still need some 30 pound line and probably a shock leader.

Im thinking some mullet for bait. Do you think i should look for something else instead?

When throwing a high low rig, do you just throw it, tighten the line, then wait?

any other advice will be much appreciated!!

Sounds like you have the basics for either pier or surf. Mullet, shrimp, menhaden, squid are all possibilities for bait. You will need a leader unless you like seeing your rigs journey out in the ocean without you when casting. 

Depending upon your casting skills and where you fish you might be able to get behind the first sandbar but there are plenty of fish in the surf as well. Pier fishing may give you access to deeper water but not necessarily more fish. 

You might consider a drum rig or some gotcha plugs as well. Be careful not to tighten your drag too much. The unexpected big bite can take your rod & reel with it otherwise - particularly if you are not holding on to it. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

A lot of pier fishing in nc is done with a basic freshwater medium action 7 ft spinning rod 10 lb mono or 20 braid and cast and retrieve a Gotcha plug. Typical bait fish rig for the pier or the surf is 14 to 20 lb mono or 50 to 65 lb braid.

So I would prefer to go surf fishing. Is there really a difference in the amount of fish i catch? 

What pound line and leader should i look for? Im thing 30 pound line for main line. Whats should i use for leader? 

Do you think i should get a different type of hook? Im looking to really catch just anything.

It really just depends on what is out there at any given time. I would suggest that you stop at Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe (its on your way) and Ryan White or any of the staff can tell you what is going on. Great advice, good bait stop and everything you might need. Throwing some money into the local economy for line etc... is a good thing. 

You might want to take some of your freshwater stuff too. A good bass rod would work well for flounder in the surf  or sound (check out some of John Skinner's stuff on You tube for rigging suggestions and technique). 3/8 and 1/2 oz bucktails can be productive and I have had pretty good luck using a zara spook and carolina rigs on the sound side. 

Might consider some smaller hooks as well 1/0 and 2/0. 4/0 is great for larger fish but you'll miss a lot of smaller fish some of which are pretty tasty. Not everything requires 3oz wts either. If you have some 1-2 oz I'd carry those as well. There are days when that is all you need and days when nothing will stay put with less than 6oz. 

Don't overlook free bait either. Flounder and pompano LOVE sand fleas and they will be easily available on the beach. 

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

ahhhh....use same gear.....go to the pier for sure! even if u just pay the 2 bucks and not fish.....in waves you can access a few piers w in a day.  also the jetty at Oregon inlet.... and jetty at the lighthouse.....for me half the fun of fishing is going to different spots.....  heres ur chance to fish surf, pier, and jetty.......dont discount a trip sound side.  as mentioned before go to hatteras jacks....I wouldn't buy anything in advance id go hatteras jacks and say ur gonna fish that week and buy what they say.  ur trip will b wind and weather dependent water temp etc. and they will put u in the right direction .....

Get a simple two hook bottom rig with shrimp or sand fleas and you should be fine for pompano or sea mullet.  We'll be in Avon ourselves next week.  I'll still toss out the heaver with mullet, but chances are we won't catch anything on it.  Casting metal lures- hopkins, stingsilvers, etc.- could get you a bluefish or spanish mackerel too.

Don't overlook the soundside.......

It is closer to freshwater fishing type thing than the surf or piers........

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Good luck kzibell086!  In looking back at an earlier post, most folks down there go with a smaller line than 30 lb test.  Tackle shops routinely string heavers with 17 or 20 lb. mono, so with a smaller rod you could go with something a little lighter than that.  As others have said stop at Hatteras Jacks, farther down the folks at Frank and Frans and Red Drum are very helpful.

13 hours ago, kzibell086 said:

There is a few ponds right near laughing gull in Waves, near where im staying. Anyone have experience?

Only "ponds" I know of in that are are the very shallow salt marsh ponds up in the National Seashore to the north which I don't think fishing is allowed in, and even if it was, I don't think there is much in them other than tiny baitfish and other such creatures that the sea birds feed on. Many years past, depending on the weather, they would seasonally dry up.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Didn't see this earlier. If it's not to late, loose that 30lb main line, 12 - 15 (mono) or 10 - 20 braid will be fine this time of year. Stop at a local tackle shop and pick up some "pompano" or "mullet/kingfish" rigs, ask the guys at the shop for them, no wire. The ones made by joe moore/one more cast are good. 3oz sinkers should be good, but use 2oz if it'll hold. Bait with small pieces of shrimp, about the size of your finger tip..The shrimp needs to be fresh, do not buy the bait shrimp in the tubs. Most shops sell fresh shrimp...