ChuckieP

Anyone in MA or RI own a Northcoast 18 skiff?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Or know of one I may look at and perhaps take a test ride? None of The local Northcoast dealers have an 18 in stock, plenty of 19's but I wanto see the 18 skiff. Thanks for any help

Is that the one that's just a Lema with a different name on the side?  Might be easier to find one if you put that on the list too.

I have the NC 20, 2011. There was used Lema 18 for sale on CL. Top dollar. Great boats.

I've got the 19cc great boat. Call Northcoast and arrange a tour and perhaps they will have both an 18 & 19 around to compare. They are located in Bristol, RI and the plant is quite impressive.

hi Otisthorpe1       I just bought a 19 and I have a question about the boat but don't want to ask on the forum, I am new to this forum, is there a way to private message?

Thanks,

Mike from  Boston

8 mins ago, mike from boston said:

hi Otisthorpe1       I just bought a 19 and I have a question about the boat but don't want to ask on the forum, I am new to this forum, is there a way to private message?

Thanks,

Mike from  Boston

Mike, greetings and welcome. This is a discussion forum - folks ask questions in the forum, other folks answer the questions in the forum. This way folks aren’t answering questions for one person in private, they are instead answering the question in public so hundreds or even thousands of people can benefit from the response :)

Private messages are for private information, not for asking people questions that are better suited for the forum. Feel free to ask your question about the boat in this thread - you’ll also give other folks the opportunity to provide responses based on experience the one person might not have :th:

TimS

The Northcoast 18 is an awesome little boat. I owned one for 11 years before I sold it. It was, hands down, the best inshore skiff I ever ran. It’s a well  built, solid little boat that will handle pretty much anything a reasonable person cares to take her out in. Easy to trailer and launch. Not a speed demon, but not a slug either. The 70 hp Suzuki I had on the back sipped fuel. I think she could float in a foot of water. If you can find one at a good price, you won’t be sorry you bought it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't know if the NC 18 skiff has the same lay out but one problem I had with the NC 20 C.C. was water getting into the helm. Once water gets into the helm it will go through an opening and settle into the hull and slosh into the bow. I had over 40 gallons of water inside as I used a 55 gallon drum and filled it 2/3's with a sump and hose. Once you lose the caulking seal around the bottom of the helm water will get in from deck by rain or hose while cleaning the boat and stay down there and not find it's way to the drain plug unless you hold the boat nose high from a crane or sump pump it out. The NC 20CC is a wide deep hull bitch! For reasons I will never understand, the hole inside the helm that looks to be a drain is not tied into the PVC drainage line. That goes from the stern all the way up to the anchor box. I re-caulked the helm and  I had to temporarily drill the PVC from the Helm non drain hole opening to make it a drain. What I need to do is make a permanent  drain connection here with the PVC in cased in glass this is not easy to do and I am a plumber. I am sure NC designers had their reasons on why they did not want to attach the PVC drain line to the Helm and allow that HUGE compartment space, that two or three people can hang out in and take a dump, to drain.

Other than that I love the boat. Been out in big water and if the 18 is have as good as the 20 or the old Lema then you will have a great boat.

Edited by The Riddler

16 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I don't know if the NC 18 skiff has the same lay out but one problem I had with the NC 20 C.C. was water getting into the helm. Once water gets into the helm it will go through an opening and settle into the hull and slosh into the bow. I had over 40 gallons of water inside as I used a 55 gallon drum and filled it 2/3's with a sump and hose. Once you lose the caulking seal around the bottom of the helm water will get in from deck by rain or hose while cleaning the boat and stay down there and not find it's way to the drain plug unless you hold the boat nose high from a crane or sump pump it out. The NC 20CC is a wide deep hull bitch! For reasons I will never understand, the hole inside the helm that looks to be a drain is not tied into the PVC drainage line. That goes from the stern all the way up to the anchor box. I re-caulked the helm and  I had to temporarily drill the PVC from the Helm non drain hole opening to make it a drain. What I need to do is make a permanent  drain connection here with the PVC in cased in glass this is not easy to do and I am a plumber. I am sure NC designers had their reasons on why they did not want to attach the PVC drain line to the Helm and allow that HUGE compartment space, that two or three people can hang out in and take a dump, to drain.

Other than that I love the boat. Been out in big water and if the 18 is have as good as the 20 or the old Lema then you will have a great boat.

What year is your hull? Is it possible they have since corrected the drainage issue?

2011.  I hope they did.  I called them , they were the ones to suggested to drill the PVC.