salvadore33

Reel use at the cape cod canal

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Use whichever one you want. Jigging fast is good not only because of crowds butnyou get hung up less. Ive found with plugging you can really never go too slow. I think most people reel in poppers way to fast and most of my plug fish at night are caught on practically a dead drift. Whatever you have the most success with. The longer a plugs in the water the better your chance for catching is no matter where you are

10 hours ago, IFish4Free said:

Is it that bad to where folks get into physical altercations? I plan to visit the CCC  second week of September.  I’m following along for all the tips and proper  etiquettes. Just wanna fish, and cause no trouble, that’s all.

Okay, it's pretty simple, if the spot you go to is close to a bridge, and has great parking access and you're not in a campground...if you see groups of people standing/sitting looking very territorial, your in a bad place. Move to another spot.

10 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Okay, it's pretty simple, if the spot you go to is close to a bridge, and has great parking access and you're not in a campground...if you see groups of people standing/sitting looking very territorial, your in a bad place. Move to another spot.

i agree with this statement. unless you feel like pulling up a chair and watching the madness 

1 hour ago, Jturnbull said:

Which size saragosa is prefered for the canal? assuming its a 10.5 - 11 foot jigging rod? 8k or 10k?

8k is probably most popular, but some guys use the 10k. The 10k is big. The 8k actually has a faster retrieve and is lighter than the 10k. 

On 7/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, Simply Addicted said:

Put it this way I bought a Becker necker knife while on Vacation in the cape and wore it around my neck the entire time I fished the **** show. 

My tip of to make friends with the guy immediately to your left and right. Cast in sync and you'll protect your stretch of the river.

I was fishing the crowded hot spot area but had no issue with this approach but felt good knowing I had a kbar on my neck and a filleting knife on my surf belt. 

Place was wild

When do you stab/kill somebody and when do you not? Is it really this bad?

A couple of times I stopped by to see the **** show, but wouldn't consider fishing there, you could tell from the angry loud voices that some of the crowd felt they owned that piece of water....this was before the 4th. I was a half mile east in the dark of morning and could hear "You m'effer get the eff away from me you stupid m'effer" clear as a bell, I was happily fishing and catching fewer and smaller fish, but if you have to put up with that crap to catch fish, screw that. I'll go find my own little patch.

That said, can't wait to get back up to the ditch, most of the folks fishing there love their fishing without being douchey about it.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, fishtheeast said:

8k is probably most popular, but some guys use the 10k. The 10k is big. The 8k actually has a faster retrieve and is lighter than the 10k. 

the 8 and 10, are the same size... 24 oz,,,.true the 8 is a little faster, (42, 40 for the 10), but the 10 has better drag, 33lb....8 has 27lb.,,

On 7/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, Jturnbull said:

Which size saragosa is prefered for the canal? assuming its a 10.5 - 11 foot jigging rod? 8k or 10k?

They are the exact same size body, different sized spools. I have a couple of each and have put them all through their paces at the canal. Really nice reels, especially for the money. If i could only have one i'd choose the 10k every time.

10 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

They are the exact same size body, different sized spools. I have a couple of each and have put them all through their paces at the canal. Really nice reels, especially for the money. If i could only have one i'd choose the 10k every time.

Thanks man. I have a jigster 11 but been putting my zeebaas on it when I hit canal which isn’t the best for jigging as you can imagine. Looking to get something rather in exspensive for that rod. I’d love to get a 2008 model Stella. 

23 mins ago, Jturnbull said:

Thanks man. I have a jigster 11 but been putting my zeebaas on it when I hit canal which isn’t the best for jigging as you can imagine. Looking to get something rather in exspensive for that rod. I’d love to get a 2008 model Stella. 

The Stella is definitely an awesome reel for jigging the canal but the Gosa will be more than enough reel. I have a 10k Gosa on a 10'6"Jigster and its a perfect balance.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

The Stella is definitely an awesome reel for jigging the canal but the Gosa will be more than enough reel. I have a 10k Gosa on a 10'6"Jigster and its a perfect balance.

Thanks for the advice! 

2 hours ago, Jturnbull said:

The ZX27 has 40 IPT. Plenty fast for the canal, plus the drag and gears to handle jigging fish in the canal. 

I would not reccomend buying a ZB just for jigging, but you already have one so I would use it.